Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CP - Need opinions on these two preamp examples (with audio) please.

Here are two preamp examples from a project I'm working on. One is the board I've been using, the other is a new old desk that I'm trying out and have only two days left to decide whether I keep it. These were recorded from one of my nearfield monitors with an average condenser microphone tracked into my DAW through carefully matched levels and gain settings. The room was not completely quiet during this testing, but the tests should be accurate enough for sound quality judging. Thanks for giving me your opinions. Only 670k each in size for a quick download. [url=http://www.xmission.com/~glitch/1.WAV]Wave 1[/url] [url=http://www.xmission.com/~glitch/2.WAV]Wave 2[/url]
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, the differences seem extremely minute to me. I listened on a pair of good home stereo speakers (sorry, I'm nowhere near a real studio tonight), Sonus Faber Concertos through a Pioneer system. I also referenced through a pair of Sennheiser HD535s. #1 seems more 'musical' to me. Seems like it has a slightly broader frequency range to it. #2 seems slightly colder. Very accurate, but not as musical as #1. That's about all I can say. They seem pretty similar to me, but I'm probably not as experienced as you. Let us know what choice you make on the board. And after this exercise is over, please fill us in on what kind of boards we were listening to.

The price is unbeatable on the desk and I already own the other, PLUS a U87 isn't my favorite. ;) Yeah, there often can seem to be only subtle differences in mic pre's until you're used to all the little details that set one apart from the other. Thanks for the input!
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Archived