Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can you talk while you play?

jimw

I played a gig Saturday night, nice crowd, good sound... And, during one of the few songs I don't play on a portion of, I realize there's someone standing next to me on stage (I didn't build my usual barricade of cases. :D )

So, I get the usual questions, "What songs do you guys play?", "Do you know anything by ____?" etc., and as usual I can only hear every third word of the conversation. At about that time I realize I need to play a piano part, string part, and sing a harmony. So I just point her to my song list/cheat sheet.

But even after I started playing it took her a while to leave. How do you handle this situation? I hate to be rude, since we can use all the following we can get. Do people really think we can carry on a conversation while playing?

OK, I feel better now... Thanks!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by jimw:

I played a gig Saturday night, nice crowd, good sound... And, during one of the few songs I don't play on a portion of, I realize there's someone standing next to me on stage (I didn't build my usual barricade of cases. :D )

So, I get the usual questions, "What songs do you guys play?", "Do you know anything by ____?" etc., and as usual I can only hear every third word of the conversation. At about that time I realize I need to play a piano part, string part, and sing a harmony. So I just point her to my song list/cheat sheet.

But even after I started playing it took her a while to leave. How do you handle this situation? I hate to be rude, since we can use all the following we can get. Do people really think we can carry on a conversation while playing?

OK, I feel better now... Thanks!

Yup. You did the right thing. :thu:

She didn't realize (or didn't care) that she was interrupting your act.

All you could have done is hold up your hand as if to say 'STOP... I have to perform now.', and point her to your song list.

Some people just don't get it. :rolleyes:

Was she blonde? :D

Was she drinking heavily? :confused:

I ask that simply because there are a separate set of rules for handling drunks... ahem -

Rule #1. You do not want to piss off a drunk. It could get nasty. Fast.

Rule #2. You must keep said drunk away from your brand new Nord Stage at all costs.

Rule #3. If said drunk is about to toss her cookies (whatever), turn her in the direction of the DRUMMER. :P

Rule #4. Try to get the drunk off the stage as soon as you can. If security is not there to help you, offer to split a box of 12 Hot Krispy Kreme donuts that you've got back stage. That should do it.

Rule #5.

Help me somebody. :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Aww, be nice. You're in a cover band right? It's your job to entertain, not to be artsy. Take a quick break, tell her to write down requests and you'll see if you can get to em. That way, it keeps her busy writing, and you free to look at your charts. You can even put the paper/napkin by your charts and look like you're interested in it. Don't be rude, doesn't do you any good :P

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

Originally posted by Dick Ward (Alias: Mr. Pretentious):

Aww, be nice. You're in a cover band right? It's your job to entertain, not to be artsy. Take a quick break, tell her to write down requests and you'll see if you can get to em. That way, it keeps her busy writing, and you free to look at your charts. You can even put the paper/napkin by your charts and look like you're interested in it. Don't be rude, doesn't do you any good :P

exactly right. How can you be rude to your audience? You wont have it soon if you will.
♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

I can't even imagine talking while playing, other than to call out chords (when needed) or things like that. Well, I haven't really tried in decades, but I doubt it. Oh, I suppose there are a few grooves I've been playing for 25 years now and could talk through -- but maybe not.

I knew an excellent drummer who could be playing his head off while carrying on a casual conversation, laugh & joke around like he was doing nothing. Complex stuff too, not just a simple pattern. Blew me away then, and still does just to think about it. That kind of person I am NOT, unfortunately!

But for the above situation I'd just smile, wink, maybe shake my head, and (if I get a free hand for a half a second) point to the keyboards and then turn concentration back to playing. If they can't figure out what's going on, well, too bad.

Unless I was playing something compex, in which case I wouldn't see or hear them anyway, not until the napkin with "FREEBIRD" written on it gets pushed over the keys I'm trying to play ...

We won't go into what happens next in this scenerio, but it DEFINITELY depends on how cute the offender is. Cheauvanist pig that I am.

"Can you talk while you play?"

N..n..no.

I've always found it interesting that I am essentially aphasic (like someone who's had a speech area stroke) when I am playing. Unless it's a totally memorized tune or a blues in an easy key, the best I can do is spit out yes, no and my name.

I should have cards printed up that I can point to stating that I am incapable of speech while playing or perhaps "I am an Ellen Jamesian".

Bonus points to anyone who gets the John Irving joke.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

It depends on what I'm playing. I've talked to people while playing.

Sometimes I can carry on a conversation well and others I have to sort of stagger my speech so as not to make mistakes.

Carl

Can I talk while I play? Sure, as long as your definition of playing doesn't infer "playing well".

I think I get approached more in the band than the others because I'm situated on a far end of the group usually, and am turned sideways, making me approachable without the person needing to jump around instruments or monitors. I get the usual as depicted above: "What do you play?" "Can you play this?" "Freebird!" etc. I normally courtiously (bad spelling, sorry) quip or gesture that I'm a bit busy...unless...unless...curse my cheauvinistic character...unless she's cute in which case I kind of talk a bit quieter so she has to move in...you know...closer... :evil:

Check out my band's site at:

The Key Components!

I've always found it impossible to talk while playing - unless the talking is related to the music - i.e. chord changes.

I remember seeing a video clip of Stuart Copland during a Police show. His head was turned backwards and he was having a conversation with the camera (MTV I think), while playing what looked like a complicated part. I am blown away by people who can think in so many directions at once.

I just stop playing, stand up, and have a conversation.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I worked in a very successful club date band in South Florida for many years. We would play private parties for some of the richest people in that area. When they would book the band, the client would be encouraged to book the band for " continuous music" at quite a hefty add-on price. Since some of these jobs lasted for 4-6 hours, there was no way the band would play continuously, so while the band was taking a 10 minute break, the Roadie ( who would dress in a Tux for this ) would sit behind my Wurlitzer and pretend he was playing while we played recorded piano music that I had previously taped.

One day, as the Roadie is "playing", a guest at the party walks up on the band stand and starts complementing the Roadie and asking him if he could play one of their favorite tunes. As the quest is speaking to him, the Roadie stops moving his hands , and takes them off the keyboard, and starts motioning with his hands as he is talking, and meanwhile the music keeps playing. The guest couldn't believe what he was seeing, and meanwhile the bandleader is frantically motioning for the Roadie to start "playing" again,..... It was really funny to see..

i can even talk on my cell phone... I wait for left hand pauses to dial. for longer breaks for either hand it is also nice to text message... keeps you updated with the rest of the world
www.thomas.bryla.dk --- Powerbook 15" 1.5 Ghz G4, Logic Pro 7.1, Mackie Onyx 1640 w/ FW card, Yamaha P-250, WX7, Roland V-Combo, V-Synth, AX7, Korg M1-Bryla

I did a date this weekend where the very same thing happened. A girl cam up and chatted with me during a tune (How far is Heaven - Los Lonely boys). I was holding sustained chords - F#m B. She was really pretty and had very captivating eyes. I talked to her, but realized that I was stuttering, being weird. Probably because I was playing, but also because she was stiking. I realized somewhere in our conversation that I had completely bailed on my background vocals... ;)
I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

I had the same thing happen this weekend. Except it was a guy and we did the intro to the the song. He then asks me a question just as I start singing lead. I held up a finger to say "please wait" which he did until the song finished. He wanted some more Steely Dan. We gladly obliged.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

This past weekend our lead singer/2nd guitar player tried to tell me a joke while I was playing.....it was loud, so I had to ask him to repeat himself, and found out it was just something silly......threw me for about 3 bars

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Rule #4. If security is not there to help you, offer to split a box of 12 Hot Krispy Kreme donuts that you've got back stage. That should do it.

:cool: [/QB]

What if they won't leave until you give them a donut? What if they ask you for a bowl of soup and a sandwich once they finish the donut?

I don't know Gas, sometimes you're not the brightest light on the PEK.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

If the song is fairly simple, and I know it well, and the band isn't too loud -- I can easily hold a conversation about last night's ballgame or whatever. My end of the conversation my have some longer-than-normal pauses, but it's no problem.

However if all of those things aren't true, well, it's gets more difficult. On a complicated song, that I don't know very well, with a loud bumpin' band -- sometimes I can't even glance away for a second! :D

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

It used to be impossible for me to talk and play, couldn't even shout out changes. For some reason and without me making any effort to remedy the situation, I can talk fairly comfortably while playing these days - most of the time.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Depends on the song.

Some songs I can talk through while I play, especially if the guitar player is off on some epic solo :) Then I can carry on a debate about fusion vs. fission while comping behind some Methany solo.

Usually the talking is more related to instructions to the sound dude / roadie.

Yes, when it comes to talking while playing, we do it often... depending on the venue.

Club work, which we don't do much of these days, is where most of the talkers decide to visit with us while we're performing. These conversations run the gamut from song requests to someone's life story. The latter being loads of fun during, say - Paradise by the Dashboard Light, Bohemian Rhapsody, or even better - All I ask of You from Phantom! Love it!

Corporate and theatrical work is a different animal. We're generally not as directly accessible to the audience, but we do deliver a lot of dialogue during our show while we're playing underneath. Some of this is scripted but much of it is ad-libbed.

Talking while playing (and singing) is pretty much par for the course for us.

I always sit facing center stage on the side edge of the stages we play on so I have people behind me. It's always an ego trip when people stand and watch me play, react vocally to what I'm doing, etc. But what comes along with that is that people (mostly people I know) talk to me, high five me, fondle my ass, etc. I'm perfectly fine with all that, but last couple times we played I've had a couple drunk assholes actually reach onto the stage and bang some notes on my keyboard. Lucky for them I knew both of them and didn't elbow them in the face (though I did make them feel bad later). People can do whatever they want to me, but when you touch my board...thems fightin words. Anybody ever elbow someone in the face for that?

I've never hit anyone, though I've wanted to.

Bass player I worked with was having a problem with a guy that just wouldn't leave him alone. Serious harassment. The bass player was not the nicest guy to begin with, but this jerk was steadily pushing him over the edge. Well, the end of a song came, and the bass player brought the head of his Fender Precision down to signal the end note, and the head hit the jerk, accidentally I'm told, on the top of the head and knocked him out. Rather satisfyingly. (The bass stayed in tune.)

Another time, same bass player, this time with an Alembic bass. The bass player and the guitar player had to set up on the dance floor, and the dancers just would not pay attention to where they were in their 2-steps. So the guys would aim at the back of the dancers heads if they got too close. It worked, and the guys survived.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I find the replies, to this thread highly humourous which had me chuckling most of the time.

Talking while playing is definitely challenging and can be a nuisance when someone suddenly decides that they want to carry on a conversation while I am playing.

I have a friend however who is a very good keyboard player and I am always amazed how he is able to carry on all kinds of conversation while playing. In fact his facial expression many times give the impression that his body is at the keyboard but his mind is completely gone on the other side of town and yet he is able to play with very little mistakes.

I am sure one of these days I'm gonna be able to do that :D

Archived