Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Katrina song 4 #943538 09/19/05 07:58 PM
K
Kendrix Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
K
FWIW- Heres my demo of "Oh Katrina" based on a few days work.

Pls go through the link in my sig below and then click on the above tune.

Any / all feedback is welcome.
---------
Oh Katrina
Youíre tearing me apart
Iíll write my check out to a million broken hearts
A down payment on a million brand new starts

All the voodoo in New Orleans
Could not keep you away
How are we gonna fix a million broken hearts?
Where are we gonna find a million brand new starts?

Someday all this water will just flow away with the tide
And the spirit of New Orleans will rise again
Rise again
Someday after this water after all the tears have been cried
Then the people of New Orleans will rise again
Rise again

If they made it up to the rooftops they are the lucky ones
Stranded for days underneath the summer sun
They're dangling under choppers one by one

Someday all this water will just flow away with the tide
And the city of New Orleans will rise again
Rise again
Someday after this water after all the tears have been cried
Then the city of New Orleans will rise again
Rise again
------------------------------------------
© 2005 Ken Favata

Check out some tunes here:
http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava
Re: Katrina song 4 #943539 09/20/05 05:36 AM
Eric VB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I like that funky music, white boy!

Re: Katrina song 4 #943540 09/20/05 06:50 PM
Gruuve Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Hey man...I like it. If you need bass and don't have any other takers, ping me...I think I could layer some mo' fat bottom groove on this one...

Dave

PS: please post a chord chart for this guy along with the lyrics if you can....

UPDATE: I just listened to this again, and I have what I think would be a great bass line in my head. Really like that guitar riff. Please post a link to a downloadable MP3 if can...I'd like to pull it down and play along.

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.
- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

http://www.reverbnation.com/gruuve/
Re: Katrina song 4 #943541 09/20/05 09:13 PM
K
Kendrix Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
K
Dave,

Thanks for the feedback.
Id love to hear your ideas for bass lines. Unfortunately, Brodajam, where I host, only allows downloads for .99 per song.
Given my membership status I have to pay a $10 up-front fee per song to enable this.

Is there some relatively easy way to get you the file via some other means?

Re: Katrina song 4 #943542 09/21/05 01:17 AM
Gruuve Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Yup...send it to me via http://www.yousendit.com ... check yer PM's for my email address.

Thx,
Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Re: Katrina song 4 #943543 09/22/05 07:24 AM
Bunny Knutson Offline
10k Club
10k Club
As I posted in the other song threads, I'd be happy to record some live drums for these songs, as it looks like no other drummers have signed up. I'm also willing to mix/master, too.

Re: Katrina song 4 #943544 09/22/05 09:02 PM
K
Kendrix Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
K
Quote:
Originally posted by Bunny Knutson:
As I posted in the other song threads, I'd be happy to record some live drums for these songs, as it looks like no other drummers have signed up. I'm also willing to mix/master, too.
Bunny, You mean you could tell those drums werent real? ;\)
Hell thats Steve Gadd on those toms - one sample a at time.

Id love to hear what a real drum set would do to the tune. Alternattie mixes would also be fun to hear.

FYI - I'm tweaking some of the awkward drum fills as we speak and am doing some production stuff to distinguish verse 3 from the others ( breaking it down in V3). This provides more contrast overall and going into the outro.

Is your e-mail in the forum system. If so I'll send you the MP3 to work on/record to. This session is mainly on my AW4416. I believe wav files can be exchanged of the individual tracks.

How'd ya like to proceed?
Im a newbie at this collaboation process.

Re: Katrina song 4 #943545 09/22/05 11:40 PM
Gruuve Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Best thing to do (as we've found from previous experiences) is to track to WAV files rather than MP3's. The MP3's themselves aren't problematic, but the utilities that convert between MP3's and WAV's don't always play nice (ie. do the conversion as accurate as they should with respect to time). If you like the bass line that I send you, for instance, then I'd want to re-track it to a WAV file sub-mix.

Just as a thought...if you want real drums put to this, I'd suggest just putting a straight beat in...that's easy to track to, and serves as a good synchronization tool if we have any issues. Think "fancy click track" on the drums. (You might want to keep your original sequence just in case, of course.)

Also, usually a good idea to give 8 lead in clicks, claps, whatever, and maybe even 8 counts out at the end.

For transmitting WAV files, yousendit.com is the way to go. Use the Shorten utility to compress the WAV files and they'll end up 30-50% the original size, which helps quite a bit. Use the no-loss option, which is like PKZIP specifically for WAV files. Google and you'll find Shorten...it's free.

HTH,
Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Re: Katrina song 4 #943546 09/23/05 02:17 AM
Bunny Knutson Offline
10k Club
10k Club
What Dave said. \:\)

Hey, Ken. I like your song. I'll PM you my email addy.

Re: Katrina song 4 #943547 09/23/05 10:32 AM
K
Kendrix Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
K
Bunny,
Im tied up with day job shit all day today
(Friday). Will get this to you ASAP tonight/tomorrow .

Re: Katrina song 4 #943548 09/23/05 12:39 PM
nursers Offline
10k Club
10k Club
I'm having trouble hearing your song Kendrix - it loads but doesn't play - have tried in Safari and IE with no luck \:\(

Re: Katrina song 4 #943549 09/23/05 08:36 PM
K
Kendrix Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
K
Dave,
Sorry you couldnt get to listen.
Its a straight up MP3 file.
I have had no one else have a problem.
From IE my windows media player does its thing when I click on the file.

Anyone have a suggestion?
(Im not a deep techno geek when it comes to these damned puters)

Re: Katrina song 4 #943550 09/23/05 08:51 PM
Eric VB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
David, try downloading the file instead of just clicking on it. From Safari (or IE) - on the link should give you the option to "save to disk". Once it's done, find the dl and double-click it; iTunes will probably launch to play it, if it's mp3.

Re: Katrina song 4 #943551 09/24/05 10:04 AM
nursers Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Actually it worked for me tonight

Re: Katrina song 4 #943552 09/25/05 01:50 PM
Chris Kemp Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I don't see the tune - is it gone?

Re: Katrina song 4 #943553 09/25/05 04:49 PM
K
Kendrix Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
K
Quote:
Originally posted by Christopher Robin:
I don't see the tune - is it gone?
I just uploaded an updated mix.
It may take some timne fro Broadjam to post the new file. Perhaps I should have used a new file name.

Re: Katrina song 4 #943554 09/25/05 06:16 PM
Chris Kemp Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Well, as of now it's still not showing...I'll check again later, I guess.

Re: Katrina song 4 #943555 09/26/05 04:13 PM
Gruuve Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Hey Ken:

OK, I threw down roughly what I hear in my head as a bass line. It's a little sloppy blah blah blah, but you can get the idea. I dubbed it over your mix and posted it here (I hope that's OK...I know you have some bandwidth limitations):

Kendrix - Oh Katrina w/ Dave rough bass line

My goal was to keep it very simple and inject a good shuffle-type groove...let me know what you think...

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Re: Katrina song 4 #943556 09/27/05 12:30 AM
K
Kendrix Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
K
Dave,
I must admit my mind would just never have gone there with the bass lines. You provided a few really interesting twists. The cadence during the verse is one. The idea of the descending bass line during the break is another. I do hear some notes that need fixing- but the rythmic ideas really change the overall feel in an interesting way. It makes the tune a bit more lively- but it retains most of its dark feel consistent with the lyrical content.

I think I'd like a polished-up version that incorporates some of these changes. However, Im so used to hearing the tune as it was, it will take time for me to form an objective opinion.
My head is spinning thinking of the alternatives for combining the best of your lines and some of the original ones. (If only I didnt have a day job).

BTW- How did you track your bass? Direct?
Thru what?
What axe did you use?

Gota go for now. Lets discuss.

Re: Katrina song 4 #943557 09/27/05 03:50 AM
Gruuve Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Hey Ken:

Thanks for the kind comments. I agree some of my note choices might be a little questionable (particularly on the chorus, I think )...I'm open to changing that, no prob. To make the rhythm part of it really cook, I'm thinking the drummer should probably do something along the lines of a sixteenth note shuffle (think John Bonham or Jeff Porcaro type of half-time shuffle).

I've got some dental surgery tommorrow and church music to work on later in the week, but I should be able to handle getting a few good takes to you early next week. Get that reference track created and posted, and we can take it from there.

The fish in this take was a 1996 Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray5 (my favorite bass), pickups in parallel, onboard EQ flat. I direct inject through an old Digitech BP-8 tube preamp and multiFX (the only thing in the patch on this take was the tube pre and multi-band compressor), then through an MXR M80 w/ tube emulation on and EQ flat, then straight into the DAW. The Stingray's have a characteristic midrange snarl and some major fat bottom...I generally cut the lows by around 3-6 db at 200 Hz and below when mixing. In this submix, I believe I boosted the mids around 800 Hz to bring out the snarl (since it was competing with an existing bass line already on the track). All the EQ'ing was done on the DAW.

I actually thought about using the Dean Edge fretless 5 on this tune for more of a vintage, thumpy kind of sound (or more of a nasally kind of tone might work too?) Let me know if think either might fit better... for the final takes, I could do the same line with a couple different basses/settings if you think you might want to pick and choose.

Thanks,
Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Re: Katrina song 4 #943558 09/27/05 06:38 AM
Bunny Knutson Offline
10k Club
10k Club
There are parts of Dave's bass part that I really like, and there are parts that are challenging to my ear. I need to listen to it more. The straight quarter notes goes against what the guitar does, which is based on triplets. That may be good or bad, but the drum beat may be able to tie them together.

I should record a rough drum track and let Dave record bass to that (if Ken likes the drum track). I'm thinking, loose, funky, and impactful, like N.O. style dirty funk drums, i.e. The Meters.

By the way, my computer is under full attack from spyware, viruses, and other meanies, so if I suddenly become absent, that's probably the reason. If this happens, please carry on with the project. I'll try to log in ASAP.

Re: Katrina song 4 #943559 09/27/05 11:03 AM
K
Kendrix Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
K
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Sisk:
Hey Ken:

Thanks for the kind comments. I agree some of my note choices might be a little questionable (particularly on the chorus, I think )...I'm open to changing that, no prob. To make the rhythm part of it really cook, I'm thinking the drummer should probably do something along the lines of a sixteenth note shuffle (think John Bonham or Jeff Porcaro type of half-time shuffle).

I've got some dental surgery tommorrow and church music to work on later in the week, but I should be able to handle getting a few good takes to you early next week. Get that reference track created and posted, and we can take it from there.

The fish in this take was a 1996 Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray5 (my favorite bass), pickups in parallel, onboard EQ flat. I direct inject through an old Digitech BP-8 tube preamp and multiFX (the only thing in the patch on this take was the tube pre and multi-band compressor), then through an MXR M80 w/ tube emulation on and EQ flat, then straight into the DAW. The Stingray's have a characteristic midrange snarl and some major fat bottom...I generally cut the lows by around 3-6 db at 200 Hz and below when mixing. In this submix, I believe I boosted the mids around 800 Hz to bring out the snarl (since it was competing with an existing bass line already on the track). All the EQ'ing was done on the DAW.

I actually thought about using the Dean Edge fretless 5 on this tune for more of a vintage, thumpy kind of sound (or more of a nasally kind of tone might work too?) Let me know if think either might fit better... for the final takes, I could do the same line with a couple different basses/settings if you think you might want to pick and choose.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave,

With all the bandwidth taken up by the distorted guitars and with the dark feel that seems appropriate perhaps a thumpier- less mid-rangey bass would be best in the context of the oerall mix. Im thinking something akin to the Nevelles "Yellow Moon" flavor. Probably flatwounds and not so much 800 boost. More like a Warwick low-down sound.

To me its key that the tune retains its dark /ominous feel.

Re: Katrina song 4 #943560 09/27/05 11:06 AM
K
Kendrix Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
K
Quote:
Originally posted by Bunny Knutson:
There are parts of Dave's bass part that I really like, and there are parts that are challenging to my ear. I need to listen to it more. The straight quarter notes goes against what the guitar does, which is based on triplets. That may be good or bad, but the drum beat may be able to tie them together.

I should record a rough drum track and let Dave record bass to that (if Ken likes the drum track). I'm thinking, loose, funky, and impactful, like N.O. style dirty funk drums, i.e. The Meters.

By the way, my computer is under full attack from spyware, viruses, and other meanies, so if I suddenly become absent, that's probably the reason. If this happens, please carry on with the project. I'll try to log in ASAP.
Sorry about those damed viruses etc. Thats why my music machine never touches the web.

Bunny, Ive heard some of your mixing. I think you are more skilled at that than I am. However, transfering the tracks to you over the net will take hours. If you can PM me with your snall mail address I could mail you the discs of the tracks.wav to work with.

Re: Katrina song 4 #943561 09/27/05 11:24 AM
Gruuve Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Ken: Agreed.

Bunny: Agreed also.

Yeah, the spyware/adware crap is driving me nuts. Nothing seems to get rid of it once it's there...not the virus scanners, not the spyware removers...I'm about ready to either find a different browser. I'd switch from Windoze to Linux if I could still run all the software that I normally use. This is one of the reasons that I like stand-alone dedicated DAW machines...no viruses and (in almost all cases) reliability that far exceeds that of a PC. You do give up some flexibility though...

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Re: Katrina song 4 #943562 09/30/05 12:43 AM
Chris Kemp Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
OK, I'm hearing it - interesting! I need to hear the one with Dave's bass, but I agree with bunny about the drums (I think).

One tip: You should try to sing it like New Orlins, not New Orleens. No one says it the second way, unless they're rhyming it with "means". ;\)

Re: Katrina song 4 #943563 09/30/05 11:17 PM
K
Kendrix Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
K
Quote:
Originally posted by Christopher Robin:
OK, I'm hearing it - interesting! I need to hear the one with Dave's bass, but I agree with bunny about the drums (I think).

One tip: You should try to sing it like New Orlins, not New Orleens. No one says it the second way, unless they're rhyming it with "means". ;\)
Thanks for listening. I agree the drums need some work. Im intrested to see what Bunny comes up with. Also, I just uploaded a new mix ( may take some time to be posted) thats a bit better in that regard. I also tweaked the mix in verse 3.

As for the pronunciation of N.O. I was very conscious of what you are pointing out. Folks from there actually pronounce it New Or-lee-ans.
However, this just did not sing well to me ( its almost like adding an extra sylable). So I reverted back to the other pronunciation for that reason. I tried.

Re: Katrina song 4 #943564 10/01/05 12:10 AM
offramp Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Kendrix, I really like your voice. Reminds me of Warren Zevon. I bet you do a pretty good Zappa imitation, as well.

Got WAV or AIFF files of each track? I'll toss my hat in the 'drum option' ring.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.
Re: Katrina song 4 #943565 10/01/05 11:25 AM
K
Kendrix Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
K
Offramp,
Tx for the feedback.
I dont get too many complements on my vox- I think I'll print this out and hang it on the wall of my studio. \:D

I sent CD's of the individual tracks to Bunny.
He should have received them by now.
My AW4416 isn't too friendly about exporting these. Its one per disc. It took me a few hours.
If Bunny can load these into his machine and then ship them to you that would be great- Bunny?

If not, I will certainly take the time to re-do this and send you the tracks. Im really interested to hear what some real drums can do.

Re: Katrina song 4 #943566 10/01/05 01:47 PM
Chris Kemp Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Kendrix:

As for the pronunciation of N.O. I was very conscious of what you are pointing out. Folks from there actually pronounce it New Or-lee-ans.
However, this just did not sing well to me ( its almost like adding an extra sylable). So I reverted back to the other pronunciation for that reason. I tried.
Actually, folks from there pronounce it more like Noo Awlyins. (I'm from there.)

Re: Katrina song 4 #943567 10/01/05 08:18 PM
Bunny Knutson Offline
10k Club
10k Club
OK, so Offramp is playing the drums now? I can post up a reference mix wave file that he can track his drums along to. What do you want in your reference mix, Offramp? I've got vox, gtrs, bass, and hihat-click. You want a stereo mix with music on one side, and the click in the other?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dr Mike Metlay, nursers