Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rhodes NT2 vs. AKG Solidstate Tube- Which is The Better Microphone ???

Between the two Which would you get. I only Have $400 to spend on this, the Rhodes NT2 is under 400 and the akg is comes with powrsupply and shockmount for the price of $421 that includes tax. I will use them with a mackie 1202vlz into an m-audio audiophile 2496 and later plan to get a better preamp. This is exsclusivly for recording accoustic guitar and rap vocals. thanks for any insight you might have.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Rode NT2 has a big peak around 12kHz. Whether you think this is a good thing or not is a matter of taste, but some people think it's too bright while others think that it's really open and airy on top. Is this good for rap vocals? Dunno... I am not familiar with the other mic, but I doubt that it has a peak like the Rode. Again, a matter of taste.

Yikes - do we HAVE to pick from those two? As Ken mentioned, the NT2 is pretty bright, and the AKG has the exact opposite problem - very muddy and "mushy" to my ears. From Rode, I'd suggest a NT1000 or NTK instead, and from AKG, well, nothing in that price range. But there's other good mics at your price point to check out - Studio Projects C1 / C3, A/T 4047, some of the Groove Tubes stuff, BLUE Baby Bottle, etc. etc. etc. If I HAD to pick only from the two mics you mentioned, it would probably have to be the NT2 - unless the singer had an EXTREMELY bright voice. Sorry, but I'm just not that impressed with the SolidTube as a vocal mic.

between the nt-2, and the akg - nt-2 hands down. sounds pretty good on some male vox ( a little sibby for most females) sounds great on acoustic guitar, and some hand percussion. the akg is just not a very good mic IMO. you might try to demo an nt-k - great mic for the money. ( $400 to $500 i think) good luck/have fun - dave

I should mention here that the posts on rec.audio.pro do not seem to care for the SolidTube very much. Again, I've never heard it. Are those tube Marshall mics any good? Is that a better choice for his application?

Actually, I read a pretty good review of the Marshall V69 in some magazine. It goes for about $300, which ain't bad for a tube mic. I haven't heard it, and I know of only one place that "carries" it (American Musical), though I'm sure you could order it from a chain store. I have heard the NTK, and it's DEFINITELY on my list of things to possibly buy (gotta fight that GAS). Great sounding mic. I'm also looking at the Baby Blue Bottle. Considering you're looking at the $400 range, these are only a Benjamin more. Peace
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

For rap vocals I'd go with an SM 58. It's very durable and allows the artist to hold it and cup it to change the sound. For acoustic I'd get an AKG C-1000 if I couldn't afford an SM-81. A lot of folks dog out the AKG, but on the AKG mic check CD the surprize 'best track' to my ears was the C-1000 on acoustic. I dig my C-1000 and my SM-81.

The SolidTube is a pretty boring mic. I have yet to find something, other than the occasional voice-over, that it is great for. I'm trying it on outside kick lately, but not too excited about that either. I did have one rapper that it worked well for, but that was certainly an exception and surprise. I only wish I had no more that $400 in mine - I'd feel a lot better about it. I think it is one of my least fav mics I have ever put up. My near "vintage" Rode NT2 might be the second (yes, I think it is bright) :eek: - have not really tried any other Rodes lately. So those choices of yours are a bummer. What are most rappers using? I'm using an M149 on most guys now and getting OK results, but it is not as "edgy" as some other recordings I hear. For handheld, the AKG C535EB is a killer mic and very affordable ($200). If you can, go to a Guitar Ctr or similar during a slow time of day and get them to put up several of these mics in a booth and record them to DAT (or even CD if they can). Ask them to put in a pricey mic or two if that's what it takes to get them excited ;) Take the DAT home and listen to it in your room and decide which sounds best where you are used to listening. I'm betting there is a single pattern AudioTechnica mic than is probably worth a look as well - they seem to be one of the big bang for buck makers, if you can find a model that has the sound you need. I have a 4051, a 4050, and some shotguns that are decent AT mics.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

The Beastie Boys were frequently using a 58, cupping the mic, just as the previous poster said, to get a little bit of distortion and change the sound. The thing here is that you are looking for a mic for acoustic guitars and rap vocals. If you want fairly smooth rap vocals, as a lot of rap vocals are warmer and smoother in tone, then you're a little closer in the ball park. If you want something edgier, then ???? The distortion can sound pretty cool sometimes. You can always run a vocal through some distortion to mucky it up, I suppose. For acoustic guitar, that's a really wide-ranging thing. This can range from a really huge sound that's incredibly full and close-miced to something like a Jeff Lynne sound, where it's a lot of top end without that much body, almost more of a textural thing, often miced at 2-3 feet or more. What kind of sound are you going after?

just checking back in, hey thanx for the help everybody, there are so many levels to recording i'm learning that there are more levels to just the ground level. anyway as far as the vocals go, the mic sound i'm after is that of, chuck d, the roots, goodie mob, and the accoustic would run the gamut at times, but be mainly the raw unprocessed sound also I just use the ones in the 1202vlz mackie mixer, do all of you preffer a special preamp, if so anything in the $300 range or is that not worth it, or should i just stick with the makcie.

I would suggest an At4033. I think I heard a rumour that 2Pac used this mic quite often. Personally, I've always been fond of it. It works great for acoustic guitars. I use it for that application all the time. Damn good mic for recording female vocals as well, just in case you get a female vocalist to sing the hook for your tracks. Looks like it could be pretty useful for a rap project. Plus, it has a -10db knock off which works great for a home studio. The NTK is without a doubt my favorite mic right now. I use it for Vocals, Drum overhead, and guitar amp room mics. However, I don't know how it would sound on an acoustic guitar. I haven't tried it on that yet, and I don't have the inclination to. I just don't see it working well, but I'll give it a shot one day and let you know. Hope this helps Nawledge. Take care, Lincoln Ross Dead Black Jedis

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

I am sorry if you wish only to know about those 2 mics, .. but I just wanted to add that just canuse you have 400, doesn't meen you have to spend it. Conside the AT 3035, .. or the new one 3060? 3035 is nice, I like it, .. don't know about htere new tube mic though? Kevin Nemrava

Love you cats, thanks for the reach out, I ended up going with the NT2 for $200., thought it was a decent deal for the moment. I will save up about a thousand and then seek you good folks guidance out once again.

The Beastie Boys also used cheap Radio Shack Mics. A ton of Hip Hop/Rap records in past years were cut with U87s, to my knowledge. The SM58 and other dynamics have their place, but in some situations can do more harm than good. I primarily record Hip Hop and R&B vocals at home, and get great results with an NT1/VC3Q combo. Everybody that hears it, including the "big" studios, remark favorably on the sound and ask what I did it with...and are more than shocked when I tell them. So, theoretically you should do fine. Good Luck. Peace
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

FWIW, I have a MXL V69 and a V77 for testing right now and I have used them both on vocals and acoustic guitar last weekend. Wednesday I will use them on horns, woodwinds and upright bass in a jazz session. I prefer the 77 because it's more neutral than the 69, which is a bright sounding mic. It also sounds "big", but compared to a Neumann M149 it sounds a bit "boxy". It also stikes me that these mics are a bit sensitive for contact noise. Even in the schockmounts they will capture quite some noise from the stand. When one taps with his feet on the floor you will have a problem. I realize the M149 costs 10 to 12 times as much as the MXL mics, but the sound is so much more balanced, apples/oranges. BTW, how much are the prices for the SP mics? In the Netherlands they are more expensive than the MXL mics. Peace.
The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

[quote]Originally posted by big K: [b]I am sorry if you wish only to know about those 2 mics, .. but I just wanted to add that just canuse you have 400, doesn't meen you have to spend it. Conside the AT 3035, .. or the new one 3060? 3035 is nice, I like it, .. don't know about htere new tube mic though? Kevin Nemrava[/b][/quote]I don't think that the 3060 is in stores yet, but I could be wrong.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

[quote]Originally posted by Bob Keelan: [b]Sign, here is a good place to look at least to get an idea of pricing in the states. [url=http://www.8thstreet.com]www.8thstreet.com[/url] [/b][/quote]Thank you very much Bob :thu: We have a SP distributor in the Netherlands who advertise: "why do well known American producers choose SP over well established, much more expensive mics". The prices are: C1 euro 320 ($ 199.00) C3 euro 499 ($ 349.95) T3 euro 899 ($ 599.95) B1 euro 123 ($ 79.95) B3 euro 230 ($ 159.95) The euro is a little higher than the Dollar. Is shipping so expensive? Peace, Han
The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

To answer your question about the mic preamp, if you are just going to spend $300 on a mic preamp, you are probably better off saving money and just continuing to use the Mackie preamps. They're fine for that price range, in my opinion.

Archived