Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Umm... me? Oh yeah, I do! Well not on DP3 but with Cubase. I really really love it. I have not found a more intuitive or honestly exciting piece of music creation software out there, and I have looked. I even went so far as to try to get a job with the Props but my lack of Swedish language skills brought that idea to a halt. Oh well. ;) The program is notoriously easy on memory but hard on CPU power. Depending on what kind of material you work on you may need a little emphasis in your system on the processor. I run an Athlon 2100 and have not had any real problems. I have a gig of 333 DDR that never gets above about 250-300 MB of use with a huge track running in Reason by itself. If you run it with Cubase or DP you will use up resources pretty quick. There are ways to minimize that impact though. Try uping your buffer memory and if you are on a PC running XP you can go to http://www.musicxp.net for all of the solutions to your set up needs, many of which can save very valuable resources. As for this update 2.5 is giving the effects and routing a huge and much needed boost in performance. Much of what the new additions are vastly improved variations on what was available in the stock arsenal and will save a lot of time and effort over the old system. Many people knock Reason as being too closed and having a signature sound. I would argue that the closed approach is very beneficial to getting work completed. As for the sound? It is only signature if you don't have a clue about what you are doing. If you spend a little time with the program and start creating your own synth patches and mess with the effects then you are golden. At that point it is just a studio with some very workable gear. The thing is that I have had a tremendous amount of success with my Reason tracks. This past year I have managed to get into the DVD release of "Animatrix", be included in some software releases, hold my own on MP3.com (100k D/L coming up quick) since August of 2001 and get fan mail from fans all over the world who don't care at all that the stuff is from a soft studio but just like the music. So my biased opinion comes down to two words: Buy it. - DJDM

I just got Reason, and I'm using it as a softsynth in DP 2.72. Just starting to learn it. So far it doesn't seem to bad, but I'm on my first song using it and I've only got about 5 tracks so far, with a few delays in Reason. I (naturally) had some problems getting to to work right through DP at first. I went over and over the detailed instructions posted on [url=http://www.unicornation.com,]www.unicornation.com,[/url] but one thing just kept going wrong. Then I tried again the next day, and after one miss, it magically worked. I hadn't done anything different. I've yet to have it cause any problems after a week or so of using it with DP. If you've got decent processor speed, it shouldn't be a problem to run lots of synths in Reason. I've got a G4 466MHz, running at a buffer of 256, and I might come up a little short if I tried to use 30 tracks of Reason synths, but 466MHz is a little low compared to more recent G4s.

"And then you have these thoughts in the back of your mind like 'Why am I doing this? Or is this a figment of my imagination?'"

http://www.veracohr.com

I read a post about Reason having a very recognizable sound,.. That's not true at all,.. Maybe you should listen to our bands song Funk Up And Rock it's on http://www.frantic-nutbush.com Tell me what you think,... it's entirely made in Reason,... The second one,.. Puppet also btw.

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

[quote]Originally posted by boosh: [b]I read a post about Reason having a very recognizable sound,.. That's not true at all,.. Maybe you should listen to our bands song Funk Up And Rock it's on http://www.frantic-nutbush.com Tell me what you think,... it's entirely made in Reason,... The second one,.. Puppet also btw.[/b][/quote]Well for better or worse they are completely sample based so they could be done on almost any app. It does not sound like you used any of the Reason gear aside from the samplers and or the DrRex players. I think the comments about the Reason “sound” come from people hearing the effects used in unimaginative ways. Also the Sub and Malstrom have some signature sounds if you stick to the presets. - DJDM

[quote]Originally posted by Lucky Charms O' Cereal: [b]Veracohr, thanks. What sort of hit does your Mac take with maybe just two instances? Also, what can you tell me about the drum samples?[/b][/quote]Er...What do you mean by instances? Two instruments? That's negligible. On the song I'm working on now, it sometimes gets up around 40% tops, but so far adding instruments doesn't jack up the processor load much. It seems like most of the processor load is just from Reason being open. But like I said, I've yet to have many tracks and instruments running yet. As far as the drum samples, I can't say. I'm working on an ambient song, so I haven't tapped that resource yet. The drum computer's abilities look nice though. Have you downloaded the demo yet? You should try that, if you can deal with it quitting every 20 minutes.

"And then you have these thoughts in the back of your mind like 'Why am I doing this? Or is this a figment of my imagination?'"

http://www.veracohr.com

I have used Reason just a little bit, and as far as it having a 'sound', doesn't everything have one after awhile..?? I used to sell keyboards, and in a room full of Oberheim/Kawai/Korg/Ensoniq/EMU/Yamah and Peavey, I could *usually tell what the noises were coming from. There were exceptions, but certain manufacturers modules and boards could alway produce certain things better than others.. Since Reason is pretty much a living, breathing virtual thing, having it's own sound is a good thing... I'd buy it if I were you....well worth the cash.

[/QUOTE]Well for better or worse they are completely sample based so they could be done on almost any app. It does not sound like you used any of the Reason gear aside from the samplers and or the DrRex players. I think the comments about the Reason “sound” come from people hearing the effects used in unimaginative ways. Also the Sub and Malstrom have some signature sounds if you stick to the presets.[/QUOTE] You're not right at all sorry,..... not entirely sample based,.. in fact there are two samples in the first song a bassline and a piece of an interview,... The rest, including the whole second song was made in reason with the synth,effects,drummodule and sampler(our own instruments triggered)

there are by the way very cool things you can do in Reason,esspeccially when you hook it up to Nuendo or Cubase,.. The presets are nice but indeed very recognizable,..They are however great to examine and learn how you can tweak them etc to create new sounds,...

[quote]Originally posted by boosh: [b]You're not right at all sorry,..... not entirely sample based,.. in fact there are two samples in the first song a bassline and a piece of an interview,... The rest, including the whole second song was made in reason with the synth,effects,drummodule and sampler(our own instruments triggered)[/b][/quote]On the second track I can hear the Reason Flanger a bit. They sound like sample based tracks. Unless you did not play back samples in the samplers? Am I missing something here? I did not mean just "found" samples... You may have played the parts but they are being looped in Reason as samples and it sounds like it. That is all I am saying. Not trying to be dificult.I just think we have different definitions of "sample based". :) - DJDM

I still can't get around the sampler's linear interpolation and the abjectly lousy quality of the effects in Reason. For flexibility and sampler quality, I'm still back to Fruityloops, especially now that FL Studio is out with a comprehensive mixer view, variable pattern lengths, accurate playlist display of patterns, and 64 FX channels. Oh - and Fruity does run as a VSTi in external apps (PC only, unfortunately)

[quote]Originally posted by DJDM: [b] [quote]Originally posted by boosh: [b]You're not right at all sorry,..... not entirely sample based,.. in fact there are two samples in the first song a bassline and a piece of an interview,... The rest, including the whole second song was made in reason with the synth,effects,drummodule and sampler(our own instruments triggered)[/b][/quote]On the second track I can hear the Reason Flanger a bit. They sound like sample based tracks. Unless you did not play back samples in the samplers? Am I missing something here? I did not mean just "found" samples... You may have played the parts but they are being looped in Reason as samples and it sounds like it. That is all I am saying. Not trying to be dificult.I just think we have different definitions of "sample based". :) - DJDM[/b][/quote]Different ideas bout samples(miscommunication) We used the sampler in Reason to sample our own instruments. Btw the effect on the vocals in song 1 is GRM tools,...that's not from Reason also,I just checked. Danggit I allways have problems like this (Am not a native english speaker). I love the program though!!! Use it together with Nuendo+wavelab and dozens of VSTplugins. Over the years I collected 1000s of one shot drum and instrument samples which I use to create a track. After that we play that track live in a rehearsalstudio and I record that and use in Reason.Add synths and stuff ,sometimes it sounds very PRO.We're thinking about recording our first Full album that way and even master it with software like T-Racks or Steinberg mastering.

[quote]Originally posted by Griffinator: [b]I still can't get around the sampler's linear interpolation and the abjectly lousy quality of the effects in Reason. For flexibility and sampler quality, I'm still back to Fruityloops, especially now that FL Studio is out with a comprehensive mixer view, variable pattern lengths, accurate playlist display of patterns, and 64 FX channels. Oh - and Fruity does run as a VSTi in external apps (PC only, unfortunately)[/b][/quote]Hey Grif, As you know the effects are about to get a [b]huge[/b] boost in 2.5. Huge. But I think that there will always be something better out there just due to the buget/power consumption minded approach of the Props team. I feel it depends on what you want to do. I have traditionally used Cubase with VSTs if I needed something that was outside of Reason's effects capabilities. In the end its all relative. The effects have been fine enough for me and the interface is so quick to use that I have not noticed the limitations so much as the possibilities. - DJDM

[quote]Originally posted by boosh: [b] I love the program though!!! Use it together with Nuendo+wavelab and dozens of VSTplugins. Over the years I collected 1000s of one shot drum and instrument samples which I use to create a track. After that we play that track live in a rehearsalstudio and I record that and use in Reason.Add synths and stuff ,sometimes it sounds very PRO.We're thinking about recording our first Full album that way and even master it with software like T-Racks or Steinberg mastering.[/b][/quote]That is about how I do it and it works for me! I use Sound Forge 6 instead of T-Racks and I can get a very polished sound without having to go to a mastering studio. I would go with mastering if I had the budget but alas I do not. My stuff has done ok without it so far. ;) - DJDM

[quote]Originally posted by DJDM: [b] [quote]Originally posted by boosh: [b] I love the program though!!! Use it together with Nuendo+wavelab and dozens of VSTplugins. Over the years I collected 1000s of one shot drum and instrument samples which I use to create a track. After that we play that track live in a rehearsalstudio and I record that and use in Reason.Add synths and stuff ,sometimes it sounds very PRO.We're thinking about recording our first Full album that way and even master it with software like T-Racks or Steinberg mastering.[/b][/quote]That is about how I do it and it works for me! I use Sound Forge 6 instead of T-Racks and I can get a very polished sound without having to go to a mastering studio. I would go with mastering if I had the budget but alas I do not. My stuff has done ok without it so far. ;) - DJDM[/b][/quote]Been to your Mp3.com site and checked out the music,.. Nice!!! Kinda what we do here at home.Too bad there's no market for it here... Holland is way too small,...If our demo is ready we're gonna try the states but I doubt if they are waiting for European musicians. Keep on making your music,I like it!! Boosh - [url=http://www.frantic-nutbush.com]www.frantic-nutbush.com[/url]

[quote]Originally posted by boosh: [b] [quote]Originally posted by DJDM: [b] [quote]Originally posted by boosh: [b] I love the program though!!! Use it together with Nuendo+wavelab and dozens of VSTplugins. Over the years I collected 1000s of one shot drum and instrument samples which I use to create a track. After that we play that track live in a rehearsalstudio and I record that and use in Reason.Add synths and stuff ,sometimes it sounds very PRO.We're thinking about recording our first Full album that way and even master it with software like T-Racks or Steinberg mastering.[/b][/quote]That is about how I do it and it works for me! I use Sound Forge 6 instead of T-Racks and I can get a very polished sound without having to go to a mastering studio. I would go with mastering if I had the budget but alas I do not. My stuff has done ok without it so far. ;) - DJDM[/b][/quote]Been to your Mp3.com site and checked out the music,.. Nice!!! Kinda what we do here at home.Too bad there's no market for it here... Holland is way too small,...If our demo is ready we're gonna try the states but I doubt if they are waiting for European musicians. Keep on making your music,I like it!! Boosh - [url=http://www.frantic-nutbush.com]www.frantic-nutbush.com[/url] [/b][/quote]Thanks Boosh! Glad you like the tracks. The markets everywhere are tough I think. Gotta just keep on keep'n on. ;) - DJDM

[quote]Originally posted by DJDM: [b]Hey Grif, As you know the effects are about to get a [b]huge[/b] boost in 2.5. Huge. But I think that there will always be something better out there just due to the buget/power consumption minded approach of the Props team. I feel it depends on what you want to do. I have traditionally used Cubase with VSTs if I needed something that was outside of Reason's effects capabilities. In the end its all relative. The effects have been fine enough for me and the interface is so quick to use that I have not noticed the limitations so much as the possibilities. - DJDM[/b][/quote]I know they're doing a new reverb and a new distortion box in 2.5 - and yeah, when it comes right down to it, if you don't mind rewiring it works with external effects. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people out there using Reason and happy with it. I just want the drawbacks to be known to prospective buyers beforehand, rather than them shelling out $300 for it and then finding them out. Reason is a great tracker-type interface, with all kinds of nifty ways to play around with effects chaining, etc. I just need to see something better than linear interpolation before I'm willing to bite on it :)

Archived