Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

re"is it worth it?"

after reading a lot of comments about the surge in the prices of Gibson guitars several points make me wonder what there thinking in Nashville. I love Gibsons. Fortunatly I purchased most of what I own years before you had to be a dentist to afford them. They have a huge herritage and tradition and everybody should own one.My first point is a huge company like Gibson after all the time they have been around should ba able to produce a Les Paul and retail it to the public for a exponentialy cheaper price than they are. The technology costs keep droping and by now you would think with the degree of automation that actually is in the manufacturing process the prices shoul fall and not esculate There is pride in ownership( I own plenty) however it seems like a money grab to me and we all know a amaxing guitar player or 2 who can't afford a Les Paul or J 200 or any good Gibson. My second point is the once workhorse Les Paul is now a months salery for most people, forcing the player and average working(semi-broke) guitar player for the affordable alternative. Closest thing being Epiphone. Epiphone makes a good guitar however they are mass produced and they have to cut corners to keep them in a price range. In other words they are not the same at all It makes perfect sence that Gibsons not going to put out a cheaper product that is equivelent to the product they charge so much for. my last comment(I pomise) is this I wonder what would happen if enough people were to voice this same opinnion to the Gibson guitar company they would listen and keep things we players want priced within reach?
Curtis

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Probably not, Curtis. Although they like (I'm sure) great players to play their guitars, as long as folks are willing to shell out beaucoups of bucks for a Les Paul, the price will continue to stay where it is, and continue to climb. Because, after all, the bottom line isn't (for them) how many GOOD players can afford their guitar, it's how many people (players of all sorts) want a Gibson badly enough to shell out big dough. Good news, less expensive guitars are better nowadays than 20 years ago. Used Gibsons (Ebay, etc.) are affordable. If you want one badly enough, you'll come up with a way to afford one. Hopefully short of robbing a 7 eleven. I don't think they'd let you take your Gibson to prison with ya. Oh, BTW...welcome aboard! Don't let all the political stuff scare you off...we're really a friendly bunch...er, for the most part.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I have 2 American Strats, which can be had at a reasonable price. I wanted a 'Paul' to compliment the Strats. After reasearching them, I decided to build my own. Well, mostly my brother built it. (D'oh) :) It came out great, and cost about $500. :thu: Gibsons are way overpriced IMO.
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

I fully understand supply and demand principals My point is the Les paul custom you bought in 74 is the exact same as 81,91 and 2003 the design hasn't changed nor the hardware the woods may have went up slightly the skilled labour rate too, along with the cost of living and standard inflation however not to the 5th power in recent times Gibson has trippled their prices Fender is guilty too! A tele is pretty much the same guitar today as it was in 1948. the hardware has changed here and there but the tele standard is still the same basic design today as back at it's beginings(still like the old ones better) and teles aren't a cheap guitar
Curtis

[quote]Originally posted by muldoon: [b]I fully understand supply and demand principals My point is the Les paul custom you bought in 74 is the exact same as 81,91 and 2003 the design hasn't changed nor the hardware the woods may have went up slightly the skilled labour rate too, along with the cost of living and standard inflation however not to the 5th power in recent times Gibson has trippled their prices Fender is guilty too! A tele is pretty much the same guitar today as it was in 1948. the hardware has changed here and there but the tele standard is still the same basic design today as back at it's beginings(still like the old ones better) and teles aren't a cheap guitar[/b][/quote]I'm not trying to argue... or say you don't understand economics... (but you did ask WHY?) I'm just pointing out that it's not about the raw costs... Gibson is a corporate deal. It's about the BUCKS. The profits. Gotta make them quarterly numbers... or else. They ARE getting these "rediculous" prices... or at least enough volume where they don't have to lower them. This has nothing really to do with costs... just greed. BTW, I'm not APLOLGIZING for gibson. I wish LP Customs were $500. Really. I would buy several! Tomorrow!!! But greed is what corporate America is all about. And Gibson's right in there. No different from most. Ironically guitar "brands" like Gibson and Fender are a bit insulated from competition which would naturally lower the prices. If you want a Gibson LP Custom, a ESP LP shaped guitar isn't a substitute... (well it could be for some people... but you get my point). So Fender and Gibson sort of have a corner on their "niche" and brand loyalty. guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

[quote]Originally posted by muldoon: [b]St Patrick was the patron st of Ireland he drove the snakes out of Ireland[/b][/quote]Actually, according to those articles on my link, the phrase "drove the snakes out of Ireland" is a euphemism for driving ancient pagan beliefs out of Ireland and spreading Christianity. According to the History Channel, there never have been any actual snakes on the Emerald Isle.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Wonder why? The only thing I can think of is the company keeps their American products priced high and over the last 10 yrs or so they have upped the import product as well thus increasing their marketshare and profit margins by keeping their big ticket stuff as a product comparrisons. Also the Vintage market plays into it.(go buy a real one from 58) I highly doubt the cost of manufacture in Korea has gone up at the same rate.
Curtis

guitplayer pretty much said it all.I'm a newb when it comes to guitars but still I'd like to give my 2cents.It seems there is enough rich ppl over the globe that can afford guitars at this prices.So much for the "Why are they so expensive?" question.Yeah I can understand the principle quality=price but I think Gibson went too far.Pure greed to say the least.Fender prices are more reasonable.So are LP worth so much of that green paper? NO! Simple as that.

Archived