Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

S90 volume control problem

88keys4me

I recently bought a Yamaha FC-4 volume control pedal for my S90. Its a good pedal, but I found that changing presets with the FC-4 connected (to the S90s Foot Controller 1 port, which I believe to be correct) produces an unexpected SHARP increase in volume.

While at rehearsal (thankfully, not on a gig) I had depressed the FC-4 to about ¾ maximum volume, and the S90s master volume slider to about ½ maximum. When I changed from a piano patch to an organ patch the volume increased, without warning, to its maximum. I was able to repeat this several more times, no matter what preset I started with and which one I changed to.

Curious, I unplugged the FC-4 and changed patches, and lo and behold, no more problem. Ive not yet asked Yamaha about this, so I wonder is it merely a coincidence? Does my S90 have a problem? Have any of you had the same experience? What have you done about it? :eek:

Thanks,

Barry

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is probably happening is that when you change patches it is clearing the volume CC info so its coming out (in effect) at 127 (Nigel, eat your heart out). If you touch the pedal I expect it will get softer as that will cause the new patch to receive a CC message.

Its possible there is a global option for that, but I doubt it. They should always send a CC from the pedal when initializing a new patch.

This is actually quite a common issue - its not unique to the S90. Controllers often don't get noticed until you move them after changing a patch. Then, of course, they "jump". One could consider this a software bug. On the other hand, for CCs in general if they were always noticed immediately you could not just dial up a patch - you would have to get the controllers in the right position too. But for vol;ume CC its probably desirable for it to be noticed at once.

Byrdman and Unsound,

Thanks for the helpful replies, and yes, I did mean an FC7. After posting, I spoke with a buddy who told me he has the same experience with his RD-600. You would think that the boards would come from the factory with volume equalization built in! I'll have to see if I can tweak the S90's settings, similarly to how it's done with a Motif, as described in the excellent post (thanks for the link, Unsound).

Regards,

Barry

Archived