Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Computer Help? (PC-XP)

My brother tried to reinstall XP pro on a computer with two drives (30gig internal and 200 gig firewire) Somehow he screwed up and installed part of XP on the firewire drive so nothing is working right now. He's got all his files back'd up so I figured he should just reformat his C: drive and do a fresh install. Can someone give me simple instructions on how to reformat his drive...the most direct way. Either post it here or email me if you can help. Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if you boot off the XP CD it should give some pretty straightforward instructions, actually. It gives the option to do various levels of reformat, including the full-meal-deal.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

I will try that when I get there...he wasn't able to explain the problems he's having over the phone very well. I might not need any help at all...but I figured I'd like to have a bit more info before going to his house. I suppose I can call and bug a friend of mine if I get stuck.

First of all, have him take the firewire drive off during install, and reinstall it after the XP drive is completely set up. Then boot with the CD as phaeton said and follow the prompts... make sure you do the full format to remove any corruption from the previous attempt. DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

[quote]Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc: [b]My brother tried to reinstall XP pro on a computer with two drives (30gig internal and 200 gig firewire) Somehow he screwed up and installed part of XP on the firewire drive so nothing is working right now. He's got all his files back'd up so I figured he should just reformat his C: drive and do a fresh install. Can someone give me simple instructions on how to reformat his drive...the most direct way. Either post it here or email me if you can help. Thanks.[/b][/quote]Not to worry Steve. Cuz I feel the HAMMER a 'comin!

[quote]Originally posted by danymal_x: [b]First of all, have him take the firewire drive off during install, and reinstall it after the XP drive is completely set up. [/b][/quote]Exactly.But one thing though,don't reformat.Completely get rid of Fat or NTFS and get rid of any partitions,otherwise the boot sectors remain.The best way is to do a low level format(O's)and let the XP install format the disk,otherwise you'll never really get rid of the old aborted install.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Archived