Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Firewall

I tried running ZoneAlarm on XP a couple of weeks ago, it slowed my cable connection down to dial-up speeds. Tried Mcaffee Personal Firewall, my cable modem is still indication transmissions like there's no tomorrow although no internet apps are running. ZoneAlarm Pro DID eliminate this problem, and while I was using Win98SE there was no slowdown whatsoever, and my cable modem only indicated transmissions when requested. What's a good firewall for XP that doesn't slow it down yet still does its job? Thanks, Harold
meh

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks guys, appreciate the responses :) I guess mostly I'm looking for a really good software firewall, the cost isn't really an issue. I just prefer software because it's less stuff to drag around :thu:
meh

I use the hardware SMC baricade, .. works okay for me, but configing it to let you play games and stuff is a hair ugly, .. also acts like a hub, so you set up a network between a few computers, ( not 10% as hard as it sounds). internet, as far as I can tell, has not been effected (or affected??). cool Kevin Nemrava

I use the freebee Zone Alarm product with no slowdown with cable modem. D/L rate....over 3mb's/sec. SSSSSSSSSmokin. Wish I could help you out. :( Lee

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

I think your best bet is a hardware router that puts you in a NAT environment; much less hackable. Get something like a Linksys or similar for like $50, they have a web based interface that is really easy to use, and the bonus is that you can share your connection with multiple computers. You can still run Zone Alarm or something like that if you are paranoid, otherwise you should be safe, just make sure you configure it correctly, set the password, turn off WAN administration, etc.

Archived