Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ogg Vorbis

I've been playing around with this file format today and it sounds very good, even with the most lossy compression used. Has anyone got any info on it? Do you prefer it to MP3? I'm going to be encoding a variety of stuff to see how it handles, I'll post again once that's done.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I've compared them and think Ogg sounds at least as good, or better. And yeah you can get a free Ogg plugin for WinAmp, and there are plenty of free Ogg players. Ogg Vorbis is also open source, which is cool.

Yeah, like Lee said it's Open Source. It is supposed to have higher quality than MP3, but take up less file space. Plus no licensing issues -which is not the case with MP3. I heard about it at the beginning, and then it kind of disappeared. Kind of like Linux -big splash, little wake. But it's out there being developed. In time, it will rise... Cool stuff!

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

It's kind of old and I was never sure about compatibility.I alway's had the option in Wavelab and I think my old shareware copy of SoundForge had it as well.I'm also curious about NeXT/Sun (.snd, .au).In fact I'd love to hear from someone who actually used a Next computer or Sun OS for music as well,2 things I passed over way back.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

I've only used Sonique, which was a free media player, to play/create Ogg Vorbis files, and the results weren't stellar. In addition, Sonique has been the least user friendly media player I've used. Can anyone point me to the Winamp plug? I'd be interested to see if I get different results.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by Super 8: [b] I heard about it at the beginning, and then it kind of disappeared. Kind of like Linux -big splash, little wake. But it's out there being developed. In time, it will rise... [/b][/quote]Yes, and that time is getting closer every day. Open source development happens more slowly than market-driven development, and with less fanfare, but like the Tortoise and the Hare, it usually comes out ahead eventually. I predict that Linux and open-source software is about to become huge over the next two years.

[quote]Originally posted by Super 8: [b]Yeah, like Lee said it's Open Source. It is supposed to have higher quality than MP3, but take up less file space. Plus no licensing issues -which is not the case with MP3. [/b][/quote]I believe there is an open source implementation of MP3 now called [url=http://lame.sourceforge.net/]LAME[/url] . Which stands for [b]L[/b]ame [b]A[/b]in't an [b]M[/b]P3 [b]E[/b]ncoder...but of course it is.... Kinda in the tradition of PINE ;)

Archived