Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Johnny Cash records

I need to add Johnny Cash CDs to my collection. Is there any that you consider as exceptional? This could be classic or newer releases. That video on "Hurt" is painful to watch. It's getting bigtime publicity. I hope others are inspired cuz I'm not; it just makes me ill... getting old sucks. I guess I could salute his courage to do that but it's also kinda sad to me. Anyway, I really do need to buy a couple of his CDs.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You only need two to get you started DEEP into the Man In Black: [i]Live At Folsom Prison[/i] , and [i]Live At San Quentin.[/i] Get the newly remastered versions where they stuck the dirty words back in. There's a hilarious part on the Folsom album where Johnny loses his place in "Dark As The Dungeon" and lets it slip that they're recording the show. The convicts go nuts. After the song, he says, "Well, I guess you know by now that this show is being recorded for an album on Columbia Records, and you cain't say hell or shit or anything like that." He turns to engineer Bob Johnston and says, "How'zat grab ya, Bob?" For years I had the original on vinyl with "shit" bleeped out and wondered what it said under there.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

I had settled already on Folsom Prison but I didn't know if the San Quentin one was good. Would love to hear other opinions, as well. I do like a lot of his edgy stuff. Boy Named Sue and stuff like that, naw.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Archived