Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Happy Birthday David Gilmour!

How about a shout out for the old bloke? What the hell is he up to anyway? Will PF ever release a new album (with or without Waters)? [img]http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/ptr/pfloyd/pictures/japan71_gilmour.jpg[/img] I understand Live at Pompeii is supposed to be out on DVD next month, that should be a treat! Supposedly contains some new DSOTM material as well.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweet - happy bday DG :) I dunno if PF will release a new album or not, but if it does include RW, with all due respect, I hope he's gotten over his caused-by-the-parents/lack-thereof psychological problems. ;) Pompeii on DVD? Shit - I spent days searching for the VHS in Toronto 5 years ago - only to find 2 copies, both meant as gifts. I'd still like to own one myself. More dark side material? Sweet!!! :thu:
meh

[quote]Originally posted by Sylver needs a new ...: [b]Ok, no guitar playing today out of respect.[/b][/quote]No, he hasn't died! DSotM on DVD audio... I suppose this means I'll have to find a dvd player that does the "A" now. _Pompei_ will be cool, my copy of the videotape had a click on it from the day I bought it, but I didn't want to return it since I couldn't find it anywhere else at the time. Very cool. Does anyone happen to have a transcript of Alan Parsons talking in detail about recording DSotM on some audio message board a few years back? I asked him some curious little nitpicky things about the recording and he actually answered them, but I don't have a copy of it anywhere...?

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Here are some interesting links regarding DSotM, Alan Parsons, and the band. [url=http://www.pinkfloyd-co.com/band/interviews/other/otherpar.html]Alan Parsons interviewed.[/url] [url=http://members.cox.net/stegokitty/dsotr_pages/coincidence.htm]DSotM/TWoOz coincidence & MP3s of the members.[/url] [url=http://support.hrz.uni-oldenburg.de/~floyd/english/echoes/dark_s~1.html]Questions about DSotM.[/url] [url=http://www.rogerwaters.org/20/mojo1.html]The first men on the moon.[/url] [url=http://www.tapscott.com/~robp/floyd_newsold1.html]25 years on The Dark Side of the Moon.[/url] :cool: Enjoy!

Happy B-Day to one of my true musical heros, David G. I cannot tell you the number of times I have told guitar players over the years "pretend your David Gilmour!" I still listen awestruck at the stuff he has done, as well as tip my hat to him in keeping Floyd pertinent after Water's departure. OT: Word from the inside of Roger Waters recent tour: Doesn't speak to the band, only looks at you if he's angry with you. Take it for what its' worth...
Woof!

[quote]Originally posted by Sal O'lando: [b]I wonder how many people know that the Comfortably Numb solo is a first take :eek: [/b][/quote]sorry i came in late-i'm a gilmour freek alltheway from the '70s-where is this info available-i'd love ta read about it... s :cool:
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

[quote]Originally posted by stanner: [b]sorry i came in late-i'm a gilmour freek alltheway from the '70s-where is this info available-i'd love ta read about it... s :cool: [/b][/quote]I think I read that in the interview with Bob Ezrin in TapeOp [url=http://www.tapeop.com/] [img]http://www.tapeop.com/IMAGES/issuesbig/issue31.jpg[/img][/url]

I have a guitar magazine at home with a David Gilmour interview. He says he did 5 or 6 takes of "Comfortably Numb" and then used faders to take bits from this take and bits from that take until he got what he wanted. He said there was no way he could have just gone into the studio and laid down that solo as is.

[b]Happy Birthday Dave[/b] :) I started to post this on Lee's thread, after a little more looking I found this one. I USED to OWN a 1954 Telecaster (reissue) autographed by David Gilmour. I saw him use it LIVE on stage on his "About Face" tour and I WON it in a contest from Musician's Mag. shortly after (my name is in their issue with Deep Purple on the cover) and they ran an ad with that GTR in it for YEARS. 3 weeks after I moved to Nashville, my place got hit ... and that GTR was GONE along with many other pieces that I'll never be able to replace :confused: Damn that GTR sure played "PINK". If someone will tell me how, I'll post a picture of it. Dave ... are ya listening ???? Russ http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-russragsdale

Hi, Russ. Man, that really sucks about your Gilmour Strat! :( How cool that you had the chance to be its owner for a while, though. Not many people get to have that experience. I feel for ya for losing it, though. Hey, if you want me to post a jpeg image of the guitar, you can email one to me, and I'll post it on my website and link to it here.

What do you think about this? [quote] Here's some info from John Harp's site in an interview with Gregg Schnitzer. An eye opener about DSOM: "There are a bunch of Pink Floyd collectors who'd kill me if I didn't ask this - Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon LP? If I recall correctly, that one went out of production at right around 25,000 pieces. We didn't cut enough lacquers to go much past that and here's a piece of trivia for which I could get shot. Did you know that the Dark Side of the Moon master was ruined? Somebody put it on a recorder instead of a playback only mastering deck and a little piece of Super Tramp got dubbed onto the outro of Breath. Big secret, that. Stan had left the company so a redux wasn't gonna happen. Makes me seriously wonder where MFSL got the source for the Dark Side of the Moon CD. Hmmm. It would have had to have been a second generation safety or the digital master I made for the cassette run. The cassette run master would've been suitable as it didn't have any gawd awful EQ done for the duplication. It was very close in master prep to what the vinyl sounded like with one significant difference. Want some cool trivia? Back in the early '80's digital was a bit unpredictable and flaky which is why we used a very expensive 1" video deck (BVH 1000) instead of a U-Matic type 3/4". I'd get these random ticks and pops which we affectionately called zits. One night I sat in the studio listening to the DSOM digital copy and was horrified when I heard lots of low level clicks and zit like sounds. So I called my wife to tell her I'd be working till sunup as the approval copy had to go to Alan Parsons via counter-to-counter air ASAP. I turned the lights off so I wouldn't be distracted and sat there all night long with the first DAE-1100 editor and made a few hundred 1 millisecond edits to get rid of those zits I was hearing. Then I made an approval copy cassette for Alan, sent it on its way and went home to sleep for a day or two. A couple of days later we got a heated call from Mr. Parsons wanting to know, "What the f**k did you do to the master?" I explained that I had done the best mastering job I could and that it compared very favorably to the vinyl and, in fact, I thought it sounded better than the vinyl. Was there some problem? He said that when he had mixed DSOM the desk (console) drove him nuts because every time he muted or unmuted a track or switched an EQ in or out there would be a resulting click or pop. There was no technology to remove these artifacts so he and the band decided to just live with it. He said, "How the hell did you get rid of those pops. I love it!" He was left with a patient explanation that it was proprietary. Man, I almost soiled my pants only to find out that he was very impressed. So, if you compare the CD with a vinyl disc and those pops and clicks are gone then there's the answer as to which tape was used. Once you know what to listen for they are easy to spot as they occur when parts go in or out or the EQ changes."[/quote]

Omigod, dude! Cool. That explains this: [quote] "What is the song at the end of Dark Side Of The Moon?" One of two things. It could be an accidental tape anomaly that the Floyd never noticed when they recorded the song. Or maybe they did notice, but it was so faint that they didn't care anymore. Or perhaps master just was damaged long after the recording was finished. In any event, if you listen very closely to the end of the song, you can hear the last low note sort of "burp" a bit. Others have argued that Pink Floyd are too much of a ``purist'' in terms of their work and would never have allowed a glitch like that to be distributed without having some reason. What that reason is, however, is anybody's guess. Nobody knows. But everyone seems to have heard it at one time... If you listen to the very very end of ``Eclipse'', and turn your volume up very very high, you will very very faintly hear some music. This has been pointed out several times, but nobody has ever been able to pinpoint exactly what the song is. Some think it's a Beatles song, others, classical music. And why is it there? A studio trick? Or just sound bleeding through from another studio? Truth is, we'll probably never know. Apparently, however, the original ``Black Label'' Harvest CD does *not* have this music. Curiouser and curiouser... " [/quote]End of mystery! :cool: :thu:

at the end is a muzak version of "Ticket to Ride", right? I've read the same thing about Gilmore's solos on "The Wall" being composites. I read in the same article (may be the magazine mentioned above) that the "Is There Anybody Out There?" nylon solo was not Gilmore, he felt he could not do it any better than ? I forget the name....

[quote]Originally posted by studiodan: [b]at the end is a muzak version of "Ticket to Ride", right? [/b][/quote]That was the old theory, but I think we may have stumbled onto something new here. If you listen to that audio snippet it doesn't really sound anything like Ticket to Ride, Muzak or otherwise. I bet some Supertramp fan (if there is such a person ;) ) could ID that song if it is them.

Archived