Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mic Preamp Recomendations

I am intersted in purchasing a cheap Mic Preamp for around $100. Does anyone have any recomendations? Any favourites in this pricerange? I will be putting an AT 3035 condensor mic through it. thanx. Lavi.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are basically the art models, the dbx, and the presonus, right? I haven't used any, but it's my understanding that they are all of comparable sound quality. I would probably go with the ART model that has the limiting, abd vu meter for your situation- the dbx seems to be a knockoff of the ART design- I may be wrong. The presonus is at least a half rack, so you could conceivably put it in a rack, if at some point you expand your setup to that level. Is this a deal where you're pretty much going to be using one mic for everything? ...if you said a littl emore about your setup, I'm sure you could get better advice. :D

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

The dbx Mini-Pre is a good value. The ART is pretty muddy sounding to me (that would be "warm", or "dark" sounding if you like the unit ;) ) whereas the Mini-Pre is more present. The Mini-Pre is also great sound on bass guitar. The RNP is over $400, so it's out. Peace.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

[quote]Originally posted by NE-One: [b] The RNP is over $400, so it's out. Peace.[/b][/quote]The RNP turns into a pretty good investment though... It's 2-channel, after all... And the DI's are sonically delightful on bass GTR, synths, etc... Nobody has really pooh-poohed the RNP, but I've read more than a few less-than-stellar comments about the ART pres, et al... YMMV... :p

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

Had both a Bellari and a Presonus cheapie; (under $125) both sucked and injected unbelievable amounts of buzz or hiss. Each lasted about 10 minutes and it was back to the store. Try B4 Buy on those two! Or [i] anything [/i] at that $100 price point.

"We are the Federales... You know, the Mounted Police..."

---"If you're the police, where are your badges?"

"Bodges?..."

[quote]Originally posted by StoneKnife: [b]Had both a Bellari and a Presonus cheapie; (under $125) both sucked and injected unbelievable amounts of buzz or hiss. Each lasted about 10 minutes and it was back to the store. Try B4 Buy on those two! Or [i] anything [/i] at that $100 price point.[/b][/quote]Yeah, that's kind of what I think too. If you have a $100 burnin a whole in your pocket, go get another SM57. So the dbx sounds better than the ART? Good to know.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Joemeek vc3, it has a flavor and if you like that flavor it is a good little box (pre + comp). I bet you could score a used one for less than $200 perhaps below $150. /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

For that price, you'd do better to buy a tiny Mackie Mixer with more functionality, and better mic pres than the pres you could buy with that money that would not be attached to a board (ironically). It may cost a bit more, but just think of the board as a Mic Pre delivery system. Otherwise, spend more and get good mic pres, or don't waste your money. -Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

[quote]Originally posted by Bob Keelan: [b]I hear that the Studio Projects VTB-1 is coming down to about $129 soon. That is a 1 channel model. For a first pre, it's hard to go wrong with the 2 channel Audio Buddy for $80.[/b][/quote]Also brintylips comments are good I like them (sorry bad english, .. brain died about 30 mins ago) I would like to make a few sugestiong, .. the BLUE tube, might work for yea, .. but price??? also in the same vein the dmp3 I hear is very clean again price??? what I would like to say is that the best vocal I have ever heard is throught ht 3035 and a meek system ( qs6 or something?) BUT you might have very good luck with the mentioned meek, in that price range. ALSO HOW ARE YOU LIKEING THE 3035? cheers Kevin Nemrava

[quote]Originally posted by waveyl: [b]I am intersted in purchasing a cheap Mic Preamp for around $100. Does anyone have any recomendations? Any favourites in this pricerange? I will be putting an AT 3035 condensor mic through it. thanx. Lavi.[/b][/quote]Get the ART Tube MP and replace the 12AX7A tube with a Groove tubes model. You'll never go back!

"Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -- John Adams

"I am a senior member, and thereby entilted to all the privileges and rights accorded said status"

-- NBR

I've got the Presonus Blue Tube ($149); I put my fiddle thru one channel and harp mic thru the other, I really like it. We tracked the vocals for "Twilight Zone" (on our website) and liked it there too, don't know if you can hear much from an .MP3 though. I also recently purchased the ART TPS ($179) for my vocals and Nord Lead on stage, it didn't work well at all. Thanks for the Groove Tube advice, Bolt Rifles (may I call you "Bolt"?), I'll give them a try. Getting it around $100 though, that's a bit tough! :confused:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Archived