Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Freedom lost? I guess you don't mind ....

... having the DEA know your internet habits? [url=http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/TECH/internet/03/05/net.forfeitures.ap/story.netseisures.ap.jpg]Welcome to the DEA... whether you know it or not...[/url] Apparently if you go to the head shop sites the DEA shut down last week, you're now redirected to DEA servers. I would consider that an invasion of privacy, but I'm sure all of you "Republicans" will defend this as just making the Homeland safe. Surely we'll catch many a hardend drug trafficker by securing everyone's IP address (and whatever else they can grab off your computer), and of course we can trust the government to use this information wisely. I went to [url=http://www.aheadcase.com]www.aheadcase.com[/url] after seeing the graphic on CNN's webpage, thinking I would see the graphic loaded onto whatever commercial server the business was using. THEN, I read that no, actually you're redirected to DEA servers. THAT'S BULLSHIT. That's a bunch of freaking Hooverite bs, they've now got my IP and whatever else info off of my browser in a file somewhere, associated with whatever this place was. http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/03/05/net.forfeitures.ap/index.html ALL HAIL THE HOMELAND!

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Always remember that our country's law's are made retroactively and not pro-active, so soon in the future, you will see lawyers that practice "Internet law". Should be interesting. Unless the government starts fuckin with us, we have no reason for the law. Well, here it is boys. The 10 years of FREE Internet is gone(92-2002). GET USED TO IT. Next come taxes on what you buy on the net.

The quote at the end of the article is certainly an understatement: [quote][b]"The government has done many things over the years," he said, "that ultimately turn out not to be legal."[/b][/quote]:mad:

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

The DEA has gone WAY off base since Ashcroft and Walters made it in. Its purpose seems to have gone from law enforcement to spewing propaganda and trampling over States' rights. I'm sick of seeing people with serious medical ailments losing their state-granted rights and facing jailtime or house arrest for doing nothing more than medicating themselves with their doctors' approvals. The whole War on Bongs and everything that follows is icing on that disgusting cake. I have to admit - I'm on the fence with all of this. On one hand, I'm rather happy seeing these people pissing on their own feet and screwing up their own futures, but on the other, it's much harder reclaiming rights once they are illegally taken away. I'm sure all of us dissenting people, whether American or not, are on some NSA list, but I could care less. The worse they become, the worse they look and the less support they will receive. Fuck 'em. Peace, Harold
meh

[quote]I would consider that an invasion of privacy [/quote]Isn't that a risk with damn near every site you go to? They put crap on your machine, try to hijack your home page, and who knows what else. What are they going to do - come bust me for looking at a bong picture? If they have time for that in between sorting out who is plotting the next 911 - well, great. I suppose I will be much safer in a jail - is that the plan for homeland security? "We have built these fortresses where Americans will be safe."? What can be done about it - nothing yet, but if the same clowns win the next election, I will just shit. How can you win on the platform, "We're the party who have brought you a market crunch if not a crash, brought the world to the brink(hopefully no furthur) of WW3, pissed people off so badly that they travel thousands of miles to attack us, and in the meantime have stolen your civil liberties." Very strong, very strong. If I were an opposing party candidate, I would feel quite empowered! Yes, these guys pretty much suck nightmares. BTW, this one still works: http://www.grasscity.com/ - I guess the subtle name got past the DEA...or maybe it is a front.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

Come on guys. Do any of you honestly think the government didn't have the ability to find out where you browse or what emails you send before John Ashcroft? Haven't any of you watched the news? They can find out anything they need to know about your internet habits just like your phone records. I suggest you be more afraid of your local lawyers. They can access every bit of recorded information about you without your permission from the comfort of their offices. Your cars, your mortgage, your utilities, your credit, etc. We have been living under the eye of big brother for many many years. Funny how you guys suddenly notice this stuff when an administration you don't like takes office. Remember the FBI files in the hands of the janitor?

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

[quote]Originally posted by GZsound: [b]Come on guys. Do any of you honestly think the government didn't have the ability to find out where you browse or what emails you send before John Ashcroft?[/b][/quote]Of course they had that ability, probably before the Carnivore project. IMO part of the problem I can see is that now many people are being confused as toward its legal and civil rights implications. Was the CIA right in planting bugs in household appliances the 50s? If the government, through the media, made it seem right in the eyes of the public, would there have been such an outcry? If nothing at all, the authoritarians have realized just how powerful selective media is at helping sell its policies. [b] [quote]I suggest you be more afraid of your local lawyers. They can access every bit of recorded information about you without your permission from the comfort of their offices. Your cars, your mortgage, your utilities, your credit, etc. [/b][/quote]So what - they have no power detaining or arresting us on questionable grounds. Comparing independent lawyers with law enforcement agencies is ridiculous. [b] [quote]We have been living under the eye of big brother for many many years. Funny how you guys suddenly notice this stuff when an administration you don't like takes office. Remember the FBI files in the hands of the janitor?[/b][/quote]To me, this isn't a matter of what administration is in power, (other than the fact that no other party would have hired them.) This isn't a partisan issue to me, it is directed at the people currently calling the shots. I really don't care whether they are liberal or conservative, it all boils down to the same level of injustice.
meh

The Constitution and The Bill Of Rights are being attacked in the name of "security" and it surprises me that so many Americans are willing to label anyone who opposes this as traitors. I have always wondered about what seems to be a natural human tendancy towards Fascism. The Constitution was written to prevent this and those who are willing to undermine it should be more thoughtful. It will be a lot harder to get freedoms back after they have been lost.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

'rold wrote: [quote]To me, this isn't a matter of what administration is in power, (other than the fact that no other party would have hired them.) This isn't a partisan issue to me, it is directed at the people currently calling the shots. I really don't care whether they are liberal or conservative, it all boils down to the same level of injustice.[/quote]Very well said, and I agree completely. But no matter how many times you make this point, the Republican guard will still call you a liberal. How blind and brainwashed can people be?

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

[quote]Originally posted by Jotown: [b]'rold wrote: [quote]To me, this isn't a matter of what administration is in power, (other than the fact that no other party would have hired them.) This isn't a partisan issue to me, it is directed at the people currently calling the shots. I really don't care whether they are liberal or conservative, it all boils down to the same level of injustice.[/quote]Very well said, and I agree completely. But no matter how many times you make this point, the Republican guard will still call you a liberal.[/b][/quote]Thanks, Jotown - I appreciate the props :) As far as Republicans calling me a liberal, that's fine - a good many of them have been great at reducing serious issues to party leanings. Honestly, I could care less - if anything, it makes them look like intolerant Dittoheads, and I have no problem watching them piss on their own feet :D [quote][b]How blind and brainwashed can people be?[/b][/quote]I dunno...Mark? You wanna chime in here? :D
meh

[quote]Originally posted by Seamus O'Tedster: [b]J. Edgar Hoover had a lot in common with the vacuum cleaners that bear his name.[/b][/quote]I belive he got stuck in one... (I did not say that, did I?) /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

[quote] I suggest you be more afraid of your local lawyers. They can access every bit of recorded information about you without your permission from the comfort of their offices. Your cars, your mortgage, your utilities, your credit, etc. [/quote]This is so true it is sick.

I've got some questions on this: Is the US alone in pulling this kind of shit? What kind of powers does the US have over non-US residents? In other words, can they differentiate between someone in the US visiting this site and someone from the Netherlands where buying bongs is not illegal? Is the internet fixed in stone or could ther ever be an "internet 2" in which these invasions of privacy are impossible? I thought domain names didn't belong to the companies trading under them? Don't you rent the name?
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Rog, the amount of information that can be tracked (like what country you are from) depends on what referring information is returned by the specific server (your ISP), whether the IP address is static or dynamic, and a lot of other factors. The Internet is actually a very open standard so there is no way to make it uniformly one way or another, which is actually a GOOD thing because it means no one can "take it over." In fact, that was a big part of the reason it was developed in the first place. The U.S. Dept. of Defense was involved in the development of the Internet standards, and the idea was to have a network that was completely decentralized so that no one could take out any specific target (e.g. Washington) and completely cut off communications. There ARE software programs and services that will disguise your identity on the Internet, cloak your IP address, etc. You can protect your privacy, but you just have to be aware of it and do it yourself. I would suggest that if you're going to surf at any web sites that might be considered "controversial," or even if you're just sick of advertisers tracking your activities, you should at the least use a service like [url=http://www.anonymizer.com]Anonymizer[/url] or [url=http://www.orangatango.com]Orangatango[/url] , which allow you to surf the web without your identity being revealed to the sites you visit. [url=http://www.zonelabs.com]ZoneLabs[/url] , who make the ZoneAlarm personal firewall (you do have a firewall don't you?), also has a ZoneAlarm Pro/Anonymizer bundle for maximum security. So, we don't need "Internet II," we just need to be more diligent about protecting ourselves. Not that it makes what the government is doing OK.

Wow. This is very scary. I wondered when we would start seeing head shops taken down, but I didn't think it would be so soon. All I have to say is that I hope that Aschcroft doesn't try pulling that here in Portland, cuz there would be a civil uproar if he did. Especially considering that Oregon is one of the only states with a Medical Marijuana program. Go catch a fucking terrorist, people :mad: . Pot smokers are not a threat to national security.

Again... I still say the war on terrorism is just a new tool in the war on drugs. And this should be in the lost rights thread. Wouldn't shutting my web site down be an abridgement of speech? And head shops deal in tobacco accessories. Sure, this is bullshit, but a head shop is no different the a tobacco warehouse. What a person does with these products after they buy them isn't the responsibility of the store. I'm sure a lot of these jacked around law suits would say different, but the responsibility for the use and or misuse of a product does NOT lie with the manufacturer or the retailer. (Yes, I oppose suing tobacco companies, gun manufacturers, etc...these suits are a disgrace. Why hold people accountable for their own actions when it's easier and more profitable to find a scapegoat.)

So kids, what do you think they'll target next? How about car dealers, cuz you could strap a bomb to a car and drive it into a buidling? Or how about shutting down Home Depot. They sell equipment that can hurt people or that could be used to build a weapon of some sort. I can buy a chainsaw or an axe with no ID there...

"Was the CIA right in planting bugs in household appliances the 50s?" ...somewhere in America, down the street, in a nondescript panel van.... "OWWW!! god DAMMIT they're making MILKSHAKES again!!!"
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

[quote]Originally posted by GZsound: [b]Come on guys. Do any of you honestly think the government didn't have the ability to find out where you browse or what emails you send before John Ashcroft?[/b][/quote]so because Asscroft is the first to publicly, loud and proud, enact police-state surveillance methods, we're supposed to say, "ok, this guys isn't that bad!"? honestly, why are you even flirting with defending him? his actions make him the worst of the worst, not just one in a long string that aren't that bad by themselves. [quote][b]Funny how you guys suddenly notice this stuff when an administration you don't like takes office.[/b][/quote]if it's any consolation, i noticed when Clinton proposed the same illegal activities to allegedly fight "terrorism" in 1996; i was 18. it still isn't justified. robb.

Originally posted by Rog: [b]What kind of powers does the US have over non-US residents? In other words, can they differentiate between someone in the US visiting this site and someone from the Netherlands where buying bongs is not illegal?[/b] The country of origin can be deduced from the IP address. AFAIK, IP addresses are assigned to specific organizations (ISPs, for example) who only assign it to users in their native country. [b]Is the internet fixed in stone or could ther ever be an "internet 2" in which these invasions of privacy are impossible?[/b] Lee answered this well. No need to elaborate. [b]I thought domain names didn't belong to the companies trading under them? Don't you rent the name?[/b] Although no one owns the Internet, as Lee said, Internet domain names are owned by an entity - usually the company or organization using the domain name. An entity can be an individual (I own rimspeed.com ) or a major corporation (Microsoft Corporation owns microsoft.com ) or what have you.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

[quote]Originally posted by offramp: [b]"Was the CIA right in planting bugs in household appliances the 50s?" ...somewhere in America, down the street, in a nondescript panel van.... "OWWW!! god DAMMIT they're making MILKSHAKES again!!!"[/b][/quote]ROTFLMAO - I just saw that..thanks for the laugh offramp :D :thu:
meh

Archived