Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Joe Sample Tickets and Review

BluesKeys

I got tickets to Joe Sample's show in The Carolina Theatre in Durham, NC.

I couldn't believe there were any left since it is for Saturday Oct 1st. I was originally scheduled to play that night so I forgot about it.

Wow, it has been 7 years since I last saw him and I still remember it to this day. I like that he plays shows as a trio without all the extra production that his CD's have. When you take the strings and such out you get to hear his mastery.

Well worth the $32.00

All you folks in NC I would highly recommend you call or go online and get tickets. If you get them and your bringing a date maybe we could connect up after the show for a drink.

www.carolinatheatre.org

919-560-3030 Box office Mon-Fri 11am-9pm

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Joe Sample is very musical and soulful. His touch and phrasing is very distinct. Recommended.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Quote Jazz+

posted 09-27-2005 06:58 PM

Joe Sample is very musical and soulful. His touch and phrasing is very distinct. Recommended.

--------------------------------------------------

You are so right, when I last saw him I kept blurting out ooo's and aaa's and OH.I was totally blow away at his smoothness. The thumb glued to the first finger thing. Fluid.

This is sort af a bump because there were still tickets left. I don't make anything off of it I am doing a heads up.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

I went through a period for several years, about 7 years ago, where I listend to and seriously studied his tunes and solos. I have many transcriptions and charts from then.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

there are many stops along the way

and some last more than others
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Originally posted by Dreamer:

and some last more than others
It's one of the Joe Sample tunes I have transcribed. It's off his Rainbow Seeker album.

CLONK for DETAILS

I'm kicking myself for not getting tickets to this. But the only ones left are in the custodian's closet in the basement. And those are $75/pair.

I'm so bummed today.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Tom, thank you for clarifying the issue; this is the price to pay to be too witty, I guess... ;)
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

BTW, I too really dig Joe Sample, at least since his Crusaders days. :cool:

Originally posted by Dreamer:

Tom, thank you for clarifying the issue; this is the price to pay to be too witty, I guess... ;)

My fault. I seem to be on a minimalist kick these days and it's not working out for me. I can't seem to hit a happy medium between verbose and terse.

Joe Sample is, and has always been, one of my favorite pianists; with or without the Crusaders. That particular tune "There are Many Stops Along The Way" came out around 1978 and has quite a few sounds that date it - like a wah-wah pedal. But the song structure and the melody are very nice and make for a good piano solo piece.

My apologies for getting you off-track and thank you for your kind reply.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's one of the Joe Sample tunes I have transcribed. It's off his Rainbow Seeker album.

CLONK for DETAILS

I'm kicking myself for not getting tickets to this. But the only ones left are in the custodian's closet in the basement. And those are $75/pair.

I'm so bummed today.

--------------------

pull my finger

Gas, I paid $68 for a pair in the middle section, midway back, downstairs. Any where you sit is the Carolina Theatre is a good set for sound. When I saw Four Play, I was third floor nose bleed. To far away for my eyes but my ears were happy.

Don't be bummed, Wanna BEER?

I know what happens when that finger is pulled.

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLONK for DETAILS

I'm so bummed today.

--------------------

pull my finger

Gas, I paid $68 for a pair in the middle section, midway back, downstairs. Any where you sit is the Carolina Theatre is a good seat for sound. When I saw Four Play, I was third floor nose bleed. To far away for my eyes but my ears were happy.

Don't be bummed, Wanna BEER?

I remember the tune Rainbow Seeker, He played that the last time I saw him, and I remember the album. I just can't remember "There are many stops along the way."

BTW, I know what happens when that finger is pulled.

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

I saw Joe Sample last night.

I am in blown away by his playing. Joe has gotten better if that is possible. His left hand is incredible the way he voices chords and follows his right hand in harmony. He is so creative with timing/tempo/and dynamics I feel the need to rehearse day and night. I only wish I had his amazing timing.

His song list includes many of his hits and my favorites. He did a version of Steet Lights with counter rhythms and thirds that was very nice.(It may now make my favorites). Carmel, was amazing, for those like me who have attempted to play it, he upped the tempo by 20 beats it seemed like. Really made that song hot. His encore was a March, SOLO and was a New Orleans laden, syncopated blast to listen to and see him work it.

The band was well rehearsed but was not the same line up I saw 7 years ago. Jay Anderson on bass was a monster, and he was lock into the drummer and Joe following bass rifs with Joes left hand and adding niceties that just melted me. Adam Nussbaum is a very good drummer who uses his cymbles as well as any. Again well rehearsed and tight as a tick they had a great sound.

My only side bar is Adam didn't have as much flash as the drummer I saw with Joe, years ago. Could be a good thing, but it made for an even more exciting show having a drummer with heavy latin roots. I cannot recall his name but I certainly remember his hot playing. He was from Australia if I recall correctly.

SEE THIS SHOW, it is worth the cost of admission. This is a Jazz pianist that can weave a melody in and out of both hands with a sweetness that is amazing. I HIGHLY RECOMEND YOU SEE JOE.

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

For many years, Joe's trio has featured the famous Lenny Castro on percussion and Jay Anderson on bass. I think he uses Adam when Lenny is not available.

Quote Jazz+

I went through a period for several years, about 7 years ago, where I listend to and seriously studied his tunes and solos. I have many transcriptions and charts from then.

For many years, Joe's trio has featured the famous Lenny Castro on percussion and Jay Anderson on bass. I think he uses Adam when Lenny is not available.

Jazz+, any chance I could borrow a couple of those charts? Man that had to take some work. His left hand does so many different things. I have trouble with his voicings, much less his leads.

I have shhhhhh a(bootleg CD) from a rehearsal of that show in 1998. I will listen to his chatter between songs and see if he mentions Lenny's name. Joe said, it had been several years since they worked together, but that latin feel was all over this guy's playing.

I'll let you know what I find.

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

Archived