Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Composing music for a website

vicsant

Hi,

Has anyone in the forum composed music for a website?

1. How do you bill your client for your music?

2. In what format is the music delivered to client? (mp3,

midi file, etc.)

Hope someone can share some information.....

Best regards,

Vic

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Vic,

I've composed music for quite a few websites, mostly corporate sites. My clients mostly requested MIDI files although there was the occasional mp3 and even wav for certain online videos.

I invoiced them with a email and also hard copy as a backup. Payment was either with a check or Paypal.

Hope this helps. :)

Back in the mid-90s I was doing quite a bit of this sort of thing as it was helpful in breaking into doing music for multimedia titles and computer games. At the time my dream was to do corporate videos and the idea was to get my foot in the door. :idea:

Nowadays I'm much more focused on my band and playing live. Funny how passions shift!

I take it you are just getting into this sort of thing?

Regards,

Ells

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Originally posted by vicsant:

Hi,

Has anyone in the forum composed music for a website?

1. How do you bill your client for your music?

2. In what format is the music delivered to client? (mp3,

midi file, etc.)

Hope someone can share some information.....

Best regards,

Vic

I've only done this twice and I certainly am not a "pro", but:

1) I typed up a bill and handed it to the client, the client handed me cash or check.

2) Mine were mp3 format, but this is not always the case, depending on software and client preferences. I suggest discussing this with every client to determine the preferred delivery format.

A couple of my scores have been for use the client's website. I gave them AIFF files (that or wave should be fine for you). One of the clients wanted an Ogg Vorbis file. I use Logic, but also have Cubase SX, and that converted it for me. I sent invoices and got checks in the mail.

Best of luck!

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Actually, my first question, should have read:

How MUCH did you bill your client for the music? And how did you compute the cost? Was it based on the length of the music, the orchestration, etc.

I really have no idea how much to bill a client for such a work, so hope you guys can give me some costing tips. :)

Regards,

Vic

Archived