Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

STICKY: Cakewalk Project 5, Aug 2005

Anything you'd still like to know after reading Keyboard's audition of Cakewalk Project 5, version 2 ? Let us know here, and we'll get you answers!

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any improvement to the sound engine from Vs 1 > Vs 2? I must say that I'm one of the people that bought P5 Vs 1 for the softsynth-rack, and I was a bit disappointed. Psyn is fun, but overall I didn't like the general sound quality - sort of mushy and unfocused.

Compare to, say, NI's Pro-53, which to my ear just slays a softsynth like Psyn as to sound quality.

I occasionally get some stutters in Sonar4, similar to what Craig reported from P5 Vs2. And when I max out memory, Sonar4 just disappears off the screen - no messages, no warnings, no "sorry must close", nothing. Just gone and in an instant I'm looking at my WinXP background.

nat whilk ii

Well, the Dimension synth kicks butt...the best I've heard bundled with a Cakewalk program. It's the "missing synth" that P5 always needed.

I wasn't that into nPulse at first, but if you add the exciter after it, the sound comes alive.

As to memory, I never really max it out -- once it hits the danger zone, I freeze the track.

Freeze was a feature sorely lacking in P5 V1. FYI the 4.0.3 update for Sonar 4 focuses on the audio engine, and aside from minimizing gapping, it also is supposed to handle overloads more elegantly...I'll find out when I download it.

In my view the biggest improvement in vs. 2 is the layout. The interface has always had potential with features such as the pattern bin. But the layout was horrible. Maybe irritating is a better word. The way things moved around and snapped into place. Arrrgggg. I felt like I needed a 22 inch screen. Eventually I put the program aside. When vs. 2 came out I almost passed, but the upgrade price was small and I went for it. Now I am really happy with the program. It is more open than Reason, and more complete than Live. I can put Project5 vs. 2 on my laptop and create music without any other plug-ins. Now I would recommend it to anyone that is starting from scratch.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived