Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Talk box set ups (danimuschi)

AnCap

I have a S.Talker K (keyboard) type talk box. It recently needed a new internal speaker, and they said that my amp was the likely cause of problem. I was using an old stereo amp. Right now I am thinking about picking up a Samson Servo studio monitor amp to power it. Is this overkill?

Anyone else using a talkbox, what do you use?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey AnCap!

i'm not that techincal, but i don't think your stereo amp has blown your talk box! i bet i wouldn't be powerful enough to blow it!!! well i can tell you how i do, and what i've tried and hopefully you'll get wiser... otherwise don't be afraid to ask!

my setup is:

nordlead2 into 100watt amp (some weird old danish make), from amp into my electro-harmonix golden throat talk box. i use a shure sm57 for talkbox live and in the studio, but any vocalmic will do. experiment to find one you like!

i set up my amp so that the volume that comes out of my mouth when i talk box, is about the same as when you sing/talk loud! i shouldn't be too loud, 'cos then you could blow your amp or talk box and if you are trying to do a zapp kinda thing with words and all you need to pronounce all the S,T,K,N,M,P's and so on. they'll ofcourse need to be the same kind of volume as what comes out of the talkbox...

hope this is helpful!

D

I am not sure what went wrong with my talkbox. I had to spend $28 to have them put in a new speaker recently, but I got it second hand and only used it for a week before it ended. I just bought a samson servo 240 to power it, so I assume it will do a good job of it. At least it is rack mountable unlike my stereo.

I have a Wild Media Systems S.Talker K-type.

The Golden Throat Talk Box and a Yamaha DX-100 are a great combination.

Keyboard mag did a really great issue several years ago on talk boxes and vocoders. explaining the differences, similarities and different ways they come in. (eg. software, stomp boxes, keyboards, etc.)

yep! got that issue!

there's a good forum on tonytalkbox.com as well... it has been down for couple of months though, so i don't know whats going on there!

AnCap! i would like to hear your oppinion on the s-talker... i have never heard one so it would be interesting to hear how you like it!

D

Archived