Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CD Top-Spine Sticker Question

cnegrad

Greetings,

I'm in the process of having our cd duplicated for retail sale. One of the options the duplicator offers is the addition of a Top-Spine Sticker. (You know, those stickers across the top of the CD that are a real pain to remove.) They claim that retail stores prefer to have them.

Does anyone have any real world knowledge about whether these are necessary? Would those of you with experience deem these necessary? Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It also related to how different retailers display their cd's. Ever looked into a tigtly packed bin of cd's the only thing that gave you a clue what each cd was, was the spine sticker staring up at you. And if retailers are picky about this sort of thing, then their distributors might be as well. I'm wondering if there's an industry standard when it comes to this kinda thing.

Well, here is the #1 stupid question of the day then. You raise a good point about the tightly packed bin of CDs. But why, then, don't they just rotate the CDs 90 degree so you can see the "side" of the CD where there usually is information about the artist and album title?

garrafon,

I assume the answer is this:

The bin starts out being loosly packed in the "normal" fashion, when cd's front covers can still be seen as you flip thru the bin. Over time (and lack of oversight by the retailers), the bin would eventually become tightly packed and the front covers would no longer be accessable. Then the top-spine sticker would come in handy.

That's exactly right. If you stack them in a display with the spine up, the cover art is turned 90 degrees. I know it sounds silly, but I used to work in marketing and advertising, and you'd be surprised how much of s difference that type of thing makes in terms of subliminal buying habits.

If it costs so much extra that you are considering not doing it, I'd say that you should think about the retail venue. If you product is only going to independent record stores that deal in smaller volume and possibly more variety, you may be able to get away with NOT having the top sticker. But if you can afford it or you think it may make it to the mass merchants, give your CD a fighting chance by going with the sticker.

Besides, then you can sell those CD-opening razors with your band logo on them. :)

"For instance" is not proof.

I gotcha now. I was thinking of the CDs being displayed "sideways" (like how you would display books on a shelf) with the front cover pointing to the left or right, at which time you can see the "edge" the CD cover - where the hinges are - and which has band and album name. But, you are right, looking from the front, I know I sometimtes rely on the printing on top to pass over all the crap and get to what I want and without flipping through every flippin CD :)

Speaking of the Top-Spine Sticker, a 12 year old kid showed me a great trick.

When you get a new CD, after removing the outer wrapper, gently lift the bottom hinge off the nub, lift up the front cover of the jewel case, and you can easily peel that annoying sticker right off. Then just reset the top cover.

Archived