Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond B300, what is it?

fisheye

There is a Hammond B300 for sale in my neighbourhood. It comes with a Leslie H822. Pretty steep price: 1750 Euro.

I only know this is a transistor Hammond and don't know if that sounds like anything. Any opinions on transistor Hammonds? Is only the amp made of transistors or are the tonewheels replaced as well?

The seller has the weird saying 'playing is buying', so he doesn't let me play if I don't buy it!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Hammond did produce a couple of portables named B200 and B300.

Both models had:

2 manuals (upper manual 44 notes F-C / lower manual 39 notes C C).

2 sets of 9 drawbars for upper and lower manuals

13-note detachable bass pedals with 16 and 8 drawbars.

Presets (more on the B300)

Vibrato

Percussion

Sustain

Reverb

Keyclick

and NO TONE GENERATORS ALL TRANSISTOR

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

That's a pretty beast. There is no such organ as a B300 on the Hammond FAQ pages but I can well believe this is indeed a B300.

Check out the B200 at The Hammond FAQ - Models and you will see its basically the same unit in a fancier case and with more buttons. Looks like its a "church" or (furniture case) version of the B200. The 44 keys on top with 49 on bottom is common in their transistor organs, but the space to the left of the top manual usually has a bunch of rocker switches. I think the presence of the drawbars marks it as a B200 derivative.

These transistor Hammonds sound like carp, so you basically missed out on buying a piece of furniture.

Was the cabinet next to it part of the deal? I have no idea what that is. Perhaps its a Hammond tone cabinet. I have not seen any of them so cannot say one way or the other.

The cabinet next to it looks like a road-modded Leslie, and yeah, any modern clonewheel, or an old-school Korg CX-3 for that matter, is closer to the desired B3 sound than a transistor-based Hammond.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Luckily I already have a L112 as furniture. :D

The cabinet is a Leslie H822. According to the Hammond faq a transistor 215 watts with two speeds.

I'd like a portable hammond, but apparently I need no worries on passing this one.

If you need a true Hammond, the XK-3 (really portable but just one keyboard) and B3P (somewhat "lighter" than a B-3) both deliver the true original sound, although they're quite hard to find on the used market. :cool:

Byrdman wrote:

>>These transistor Hammonds

>>sound like carp

...maybe it's because they had too much "bass"...or drifted out of tuna ;-)

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Archived