Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I got a micron

Wooden

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wodden,

Don't know any links, but I think you will like your Micron. I love mine. "Favorites" is a key attribute. Also, check out the "Lucky Porta M2" patch and the "Fat2Compose" patch. My two favorite patches.

Regards,

Joe

All the basses and leads that emulate Mini Moogs are great! All the filter models sound great, but they´ve gotten something right in the combination of the oscs and the filters on the Mini models. I´m not saying it sounds genuine, but it´s very playable! "Micron Flute" is a blast playing, too. "EP? OK!" has seen a lot of use, as well as the "Taurus Bass" patch!

Wooden,

Also check out the Fifths Lead patch, very Aquatarkus-like.

Sorry, I don't know the numbers, but the thing is so easy to use you'll find 'em no problem.

I agree with AnalogAddict, the basses kick butt. I like "Closet Bass". There is another patch called "Jump" that is a good synth lead. I wish I had the board here in my office so I could list out all my favorite patches. There is a Yes-like "WakeMini" or something, but like Mr. Addict said, all the Mini patches are great.

I've had it for about 6 months and still haven't fully explored it (don't ever get married...). My only disappointment was the drum set-ups, I'm sure they can be modified, but there were no factory loaded straight set-ups, they were all club, hip-hop and DJ type. Serious bang-for-the-buck ratio with this board.

Regards,

Joe

I got mine a couple weeks ago to compliment my 700SX and Electro...needed something for synth lines and weighted keys just don't feel right for synth stuff.

I'm very happy with it. The sounds are great and I have yet to get really deep into it. I owned Arp and Moog boards in the 70's/80's and it amazes me the value with this board. It's not a Mini-Moog but it beats the price tag.

Anybody come up with a good case for it? I bought the gig bag...but may take it back. I'm concerned with the knobs not being protected enough. I can be really careful with it, but well meaning band mates can often place gig bags in precarious locations.... :rolleyes:

there's an editor at the yahoo group, however it's not real-time. in other words, you make your patch and then send it to the micron to hear/play it.

not an ideal situation if you're learning, but livable if you have a good idea of what you're trying for.

as for a case - you might want to try a sporting goods store. they have padded cases that would give you a little extra room for some accessories.

You'll love it.

I don't have mine in front of me, so these names may not be exact, but favorite patches:

UCrazyDiamond -- guess what it emulates? :D

WakemanMini

Hmmm, I've got 5 "favs" stored, but those are the only names I remember. I'll come back here after my next gig...

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Good to see we're having more people buying Microns. That enhances my chances of ever getting a solution for the problem that's been hampering the live use of my Micron since I bought it: There seem to be no way to select Programs/Setups remotely (that is, from another board, assuming most everybody will use it live in a rig with other boards).

The present situation is that no one ever succeeded in having the Micron responding to MIDI Program Change messages. In fact not even the use of RPNs, NRPNs and/or SysEx messages seem to allow such a basic thing as selecting a Program/Setup.

My bandmates are growing increasingly less patient with my delay between songs, for I have to dial everything on the Micron each time I want to play another song...

That does not change the fact that it's still great bang for the buck and probably the best VA as far as emulation of Vintage Sounds is concerned.

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Originally posted by Rabid:

I had not idea of that limitaiton. So if you have it in a studio connected to your DAW, the sequencer cannot send program changes when ever you pull up a song? :eek:

Yep, Rabid, that is what I meant. And if someone ever find out how to make Micron change patches from a sequencer+DAW, I'll love to be informed on exactly which message was sent to the Micron to select the Program/Setup, for then I'd easily emulate it with my MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus.

Then again, as no one ever succeeded on it, I still have no clue about which message is necessary (or even if it is possible at al, given the Micron's unique - and mysterious - memory structure).

Let's pray for some MIDI guru to happen to buy a Micron and pluck a solution...

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Originally posted by Andre Lower:

Let's pray for some MIDI guru to happen to buy a Micron and pluck a solution...

I don't own a Micron; I just downloaded the manual, and found the following at in the back in the FAQs:

From the Alesis Micron manual:

How can I select a program/setup/

pattern/rhythm through MIDI?

First, you need the MIDI bank and patch numbers. For a

program, hold down the [programs] button for a second, and

these numbers will appear on the display. For a setup, use the

[setups] button, and so on.

Next, enter the bank and patch numbers into your sequencer. If

this doesnt seem to work, you may need to check your sequencers

bank select method. Micron uses the standard MIDI bank select

protocol, wherein the bank number is equal to cc 32, plus 128

times cc 0. Other synths deviate from the standard, and your

sequencer may be set up to accommodate them instead.

If it still doesnt work, see the next question.

Why isnt my Micron responding to MIDI

program change messages?

Press [config], scroll to the MIDI: Pgm change parameter, and

ensure that it is set to on.

Are you saying that, even after taking that action, program changes are still not 'understood' by the Micron? :confused:

I'm dismayed by the lack of a MIDI spec listing at the back of this manual, as well... although I'm d/ling the other PDFs from the Alesis site in the hopes that it's in one of them... :(

Cheers,

SG

mmmm I think that should be enough... if it doesnt work alesis is fooling the users...I didnt know about that in the micron, and i just supossed that it could be done... I am planning to use it with a sequencer but live most of all, but since i play just 2 KB's (including the micron :D ) i think it wont be a problem... i hope.

Please get a good hard case for your Micron and also be very careful with the clear navigation knob on the far right. I had a Micron briefly and it suffered from a broken off navigation knob that was not easily repaired and parts were not available. I liked the Micron sound and the concept, but ultimately returned it. Using the Micron with no nav knob is like using a PC with no mouse. The other knobs are metal shafts bolted to the chassis, but the nav knob is a long and wobbly plastic shaft that seems to break easily. Mine was inexplicably broken off after a gig one night. I can only presume that someone knocked into it or grabbed it off, because there was no known incident that caused it to break.

Enjoy your new gear!

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Are you saying that, even after taking that action, program changes are still not 'understood' by the Micron? :confused:

I'm dismayed by the lack of a MIDI spec listing at the back of this manual, as well... although I'm d/ling the other PDFs from the Alesis site in the hopes that it's in one of them... :(

Cheers,

SG

Sven, talk about dismay...I sure know the exact bank and patch number for all my Program/Setups (I used the identification method suggested in the Manual) and sure have the MIDI: Pgm change parameter set to on. Nevertheless it does not work. And I am not exagerating here, for I have written three times to the Yahoo Ion/Micron Users Group and no one could come up with an answer to the problem. BTW, the people in this Yahoo group is very supportive, so it's not a case of them ignoring my question at all.

I am also dumbfound at both Alesis disregard for the problem (I wrote them twice relating the problem) and the fact that I seem to be the only one bothered with finding a solution. It seems that people do not mind dialing Program/Setup changes manually when using this board live. :eek:

As I said, my last hope is to have a MIDI Expert buying a Micron, stumbling at the problem and coming up with a solution...

Sven, given your interest in finding out whether the Micron does answer to PGMCHG messages, I propose the following cooperation: You prepare a simple PGMCHG message commanding the selection of a certaing Program (for exemple Bank 101 Patch 35) and send it to me via e-mail. I'll gladly load it in my Cakewalk and try sending this PGMCHG message to my Micron.

BTW, using MIDIox I discovered that Micron actually does send PGMCHG when I dial up a given Setup in it (in fact it uses CC#0 and 32 for MSB and LSB), but up to now I have not succeeded in making my Micron respond to the MIDI PGMCHG messages sent out by my main keyboard (Roland XP-30).

Originally posted by Andre Lower:

Sven, given your interest in finding out whether the Micron does answer to PGMCHG messages, I propose the following cooperation: You prepare a simple PGMCHG message commanding the selection of a certaing Program (for exemple Bank 101 Patch 35) and send it to me via e-mail. I'll gladly load it in my Cakewalk and try sending this PGMCHG message to my Micron.

BTW, using MIDIox I discovered that Micron actually does send PGMCHG when I dial up a given Setup in it (in fact it uses CC#0 and 32 for MSB and LSB), but up to now I have not succeeded in making my Micron respond to the MIDI PGMCHG messages sent out by my main keyboard (Roland XP-30).

Andre:

Unfortunately I'm heading out of town for the weekend so won't have access to my rig to get that for you. If it's still an issue next week, I'll put something together.

(I've not used Cakewalk in the past, but are you not able to add a MIDI event and define it such that you could generate any P.C. you want? Just curious... :) )

That said, have you compared what's coming out of your XP-30 with MIDIOx to what the Micron is sending? I'm sure you have, but it's just a thought I had sitting here in the office. ;)

Cheers,

SG

Archived