Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

finding the right Leslie horn driver?

This for the old 122/145 style Leslies.

I have 4 of these beasts, and only one has a horn that sounds gorgeous to me. With this horn driver, you can play a bell tone on a keyboard and what comes out of the Leslie sounds like a bell! It's great. Only I wish all my Leslies sounded this way- as it is, there's only one that does, and I live in fear of blowing the driver.

This great horn driver says "Jensen Special Design" on it, or some such Jensen words, but I have identical-looking drivers with identical words that do not sound at all the same and are not blown. A friend tells me that Jensen used horn drivers from a number of vendors, that's why. Not all Jensens were created in the same place, let alone equal.

Anybody have any clue how to track down the great horn driver that rings like a bell? Man, it's clean and 3D and just gorgeous...

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I replaced my 122's stock Jensen driver with an Atlas PD60. It is the best sounding driver I have ever heard on a Leslie! Very loud and crystal clear, not to mention durable. Build like a tank! I kept the stock Jensen in case I ever want to swap for some odd reason.

I picked up a pair of PD60s several years ago when I actually had 2 Leslies - 122 and 145 road Leslie. I have since said bye to the road Leslie and kept my 122 with the Atlas PD60.

Regards,

Eric

A road Leslie like the ones they make at that place that makes the preamps? Speakeasy? What did you think of it?

Thanks for the hint on the Atlas...

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

bump? Anybody know where to get the right kind of old Jensens? Anybody know the history and what specific model to look for?

Originally posted by Prague:

Is it possible that the amp in that particular Leslie is having some effect? You could try putting the good driver in another Leslie to make sure.

I have in fact done that. It's not the amp. Good thought though! I hate to run off on a wild goose chase.

Thanks for the leads Moe!

Archived