Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MOTIF ES Question

analogman1

Hello all,

Is it possible to change the numerical order of Performances on a Motif ES (i.e., to swap one performance's location for another) so as to make certain patches available, sequentially, for live performance?

Thanks!

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No need... the Motif has Master mode which allows you to chain any elements (Voices, Performances, Songs, Patterns) in any sequence in 128 memory locations. You can then step through the Master Mode memory locations sequentially, without having to juggle Performances around. It's especially beneficial, because you may want to have some Songs or Patterns for certain tunes, and Master mode means you don't have to change modes to access these. :thu:

I create different Master setups depending on which gig I'm doing, and save each of these on a SmartMedia card; simply load the appropriate configuration before each gig, and I don't need to worry about which bank/location a performance might be in.

You should take a look at Motifator.com's "Behind The Manual" section for this info and other useful tutorials.

Cheers,

SG

Hey,

Thanks Sven! I'll check it out. I'm actually researching this to help my Brother in Law who has a Morif ES7; but it seems like such a great machine for live work, I might consider one as well.

Cheers!

Big T

Tom

Sven Molly's method is very good. Once you have it set up, name it, save it to SM card and you're good to go.

Every User Performance or Voice bank has at least once or two things on it I have no use for, so I replace them with things I want. I usually use bank 16 on all my user banks as the temporary location for patches I'm moving around and store similar sounds in same numeric location from bank to bank, as Yamaha did with the factory patches.

The main thing is to have a consistent method you like to work with and stick with that method.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Sven Molly's method is very good.

Ummmm.... who? :confused::eek:;)

Cheers,

SG

Hey Mike,

time to trim your fingernails :thu: ...(just kiddin')

Cheers,

A.Lower

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

I've heard of tongue twisters, but I guess Sven Golly is a finger twister. :) Maybe my typing has gotten worse than I thought.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Hey guys,

Master mode worked like a charm. Ditto for the GREAT Motifator website! I have one more question: is there any way to allow whatever performance (in Master mode)that is sustaining to hang over while you switch patches (my brother in law is using a footswitch to inc/dec the patches, but the patch switches are abrupt). On my Roland 2080, there is a feature that allows this...(I think it's called "patch remain" or something like that) but I searched the Motif ES manual and could not find anything of the sort.

Thanks!

Tom

No, the patches will cut off when switching from one to another. This is a tradeoff inherent in the synth and there is no parameter to create a sustain between patches. Nowadays, I think the only manufacturer that consistently supports this feature is Kurzweil...

One way to smoothly morph from one sound to another in Master mode is to set up a layer with the sliders controlling volume. You can fade in other sounds within the same patch. I do this quite a bit on my S90.

Regards,

Eric

Archived