Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

60 Minutes child prodigy story

tarkus

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The head of compostion at Julliard said we have not seen the likes of him in 200 years since Mozart. After seeing the story on 60 Minutes and hearing his music I agree.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Every couple of years or so, I see a "human interest" story about another "child prodigy" that will be the next, Mozart or Charlie Parker or Beethoven or something.

To date, I've not seen or heard from any of them after their puff peice aired. I'm not saying they don't deserve a career or acclaim or something, just stating a factoid.

Carl

How would you feel if you were 10 years old, went to a top music school, had everyone treating you like the world's greatest musical genius, and had media coverage like this?

These kids don't get to choose their lives. They have to try and live up to the huge expectations that are being piled on them from a young age. I'm guessing that in most cases, they succumb to the pressure and wind up doing something else with their lives.

I do remember the story of Leslie Lempke. 60 minutes ran a story many years ago about an idiot savant piano player with mangled dystrophic hands that could play any piece of music after hearing it just once. Many years later, on a follow up, I believe that CBS found the Lempke story was a hoax.

I take it you did not see the story and hear the music of Jay Greenberg, the12 year old has composed five full-length symphonies straight from what he hears in his head with no revisions.

He doesn't need the piano, or any instrument, to compose: "He often hears more than one new composition at a time." "Multiple channels is what its been termed," says Jay. "That my brain is able to control two or three different musics at the same time - along with the channel of everyday life."

That kid appears to be in the same league as a Mozart.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

"We are talking about a prodigy of the level of the greatest prodigies in history when it comes to composition," says Sam Zyman, a composer. "I am talking about the likes of Mozart, and Mendelssohn, and Saint-Sans."

Zyman teaches music theory to Jay at the Juilliard School in New York City, where hes been teaching for 18 years.

I did see this piece on 60 Minutes, and being a musician my first impulse was to be skeptical. But, as the show unfolded, it was apparent that this child has an amazing gift.

I tend to be VERY skeptical about claims or comparisons to Mozart, et. al., simply because the music of the classical composers has withstood the test of time and scrutiny. It may be valid to claim that this child's music is similar in style, or in keeping with the music theory rules outlined by music scholars and classical composers. However, this child's music has not withstood the test of time, so to compare the quality of his work with other classical composers is premature, I believe.

Having said that, this child is truly remarkable, nevertheless.

bv

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

-Carl Sagan

I thought it was his ability to hear and compose 5 full length symphonies straight from his brain without re-vision was the reason for putting him in league with a Mozart. And not the aesthetic quality or enduring poularity of his music. He is not Mozart, just similarily gifted.

...and the bottom line is that the kid who composes symphonies in his head or the kid who can play classical masterpieces on demand will grow old without fame or fortune, while Jessica Simpson lip syncs her way all the way to the bank ;-)

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Originally posted by Ed Coury:

...and the bottom line is that the kid who composes symphonies in his head or the kid who can play classical masterpieces on demand will grow old without fame or fortune, while Jessica Simpson lip syncs her way all the way to the bank ;-)

:thu:

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

They reported that despite his amazing gift he is thinking of quiting music altogether because his grand piano doesn't sound or feel like a P250. He was quoted as saying "my descision of course is pending the upcoming NAMM show"

:P

I heard the Overture to 9/11 and liked it very much, but the thing that struck me the most was how nice this kid seems to be. I genuinely hope that he has a very happy life sheltered from unreasonable pressures.

Of course, reading about kids like these makes one wonder if it's worth it to make music without such talent. And the answer is unequivocally "Yes."

Eddie Jobson (himself a musical prodigy) once commented in an interview that one of the things that makes rock music so exciting is the fact that we generally see musicians sweating it out to play the best that they can. So the striving to make the best music often manifests itself in the finished product, and enhances the music.

I know that we're supposed to be talking about the kid, or others like him, but I bet I'm not the only one thinking about myself when reading about this!

Ben

Originally posted by BenOne:

I know that we're supposed to be talking about the kid, or others like him, but I bet I'm not the only one thinking about myself when reading about this!

I was the assistant organist at our church when I was eleven. I composed simple church pieces and was thought of as a prodigy. I thought of myself as a kid forced into an adult's clothing. The fact that I still earn a living performing and composing music 35 years later speaks more (to me) of perseverence than of gift.

I wish Blue Jay well.

k.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Archived