Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

replacing my triton

halfguard

i sold my triton a couple months ago and need to replace its sounds. i was going to get a fantom x rack but decided a soft sampler might be the way to go. im between kompakt, kontakt, and the sonic refil for reason. ive heard good things about all three but was looking for some opinions.right now i have a micro q/emu xl lead/ and reason. i want to add a sampler(rom player) and maybee fm7 to my setup in the next month. any help is appreciated.
hey bud! whats your problem?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess you aren't playing live at all? Softsynths are more for studio-type work from what I've heard people saying.

Don't forget the new Triton Extreme--it's quite a step up from the original Classic, if that's what you just sold.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Oh you can do it, it's just not my first choice. Some people in the audience aren't impressed with it all either....kinda "cheapens" the whole look and feel of music. :rolleyes:

i would disagree. playing is playing, having a nice hardware synth is nice, but there is something to be said for a controller and a laptop. everyone has their way of working. i like to have both. money becomes a big factor in the decision process. i had a triton classic that i sold. i dont need a workstation. however, i need to replace romplayer type sounds.

Originally posted by Synthoid:

Oh you can do it, it's just not my first choice. Some people in the audience aren't impressed with it all either....kinda "cheapens" the whole look and feel of music. :rolleyes:

Kraftwerk might disagree. They're concert ticket sales might indicate otherwise as well. ;)

Originally posted by halfguard:

all a keyboard is, is a specialized computer for the keyboards use. you guys make me laugh.

almost all of them are a computer with proprietary dsp chips and user interface..

..except the best ones; rhodes, hammond, analog :P:D

seriously, if u need rompler type sounds in general, any vsti sampler plus nice libraries will do (kontakt), altough i'm not too happy with their multi-fx and filter sound compared to korg's hardware. otoh, if u need exact triton type sound, may i suggest triton-rack. its small, practical and going relatively cheap these days. even tr-rack covers most of the standard korg sounds.

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

Jeebus.....Kraftwerk is an established band with a loyal following. I'm sure their famous robotic music style works well with a laptop setup.

No, I'm talking about a new band on the block showing up with guitars, drums.....and then some clown playing a midi controller hooked to a laptop with the occasional latency issues, fumbling around with patch changes and--opps--it locked up again! What a great show.

Several people I've chatted with said that if they went to see Rick Wakeman or Keith Emerson in concert and either were using only MIDI controllers and laptops, they would be EXTREMELY disappointed.

Originally posted by Synthoid:

No, I'm talking about a new band on the block showing up with guitars, drums.....and then some clown playing a midi controller hooked to a laptop with the occasional latency issues, fumbling around with patch changes and--opps--it locked up again! What a great show.

:D

obviously this is not the place to discuss softsynths.anyways, i do most hip hop and some elctronic music, so playing live is not a big deal for me.

i dont need exactly the triton sound, i just need a good romplayer. the price to sound ratio does not justify me buying another triton or workstation when there is other stuff i need. i do all my sequencing in ptle and am happy working this way. i used to be all hardware. ive owned 2 mpcs a triton a roland d50 and xp 50. now i have both hard and software. i think its the best of both worlds.

Yep, I agree with the "lack of musical looks" of a laptop based rig. However it would be silly (almost "dinossauric") to cling to hardware that will sure be left behind.

Now what about a rack-style computer (rather different from a laptop in looks, and yet able to handle all the functional requirements) played through a yet-to-be created controller keyboard, specialized and lavish on features :idea: ? Would that be the best of both worlds?

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Archived