Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Funk Keyboard Transcriptions

RobT

I guess that I must be in a funky mood these days. I've been listening to a lot of 70's, 80's funk music. Catching Prince on MTV sent my funk jones over the top. I was wondering if anybody knew of any websites or books that cover Funk Keyboard lines. I did a search and nothing came up. If anyone knows any information and is willing to share, now's the time! Step up funkateers and rubber fans!

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stretchin' out... :rolleyes: I can´t recall ever seeing anything comprehensive on this, except on some artists web pages. There was a feature on Bernie Worrell in Keyboard mag some time ago, maybe you read it. I suppose it can be found in the archives... There were some transcriptions there, and compositional and synthesis techniques.

/J :cool: nas

If don't mind the "cheese-whiz", try some midi files and a notation program for a transcript. Some of these files are pretty good. And, there are thousands of songs to choose from. Here's a site with funk midi songs. Funkville

Funny this should come up. I've been kicking around an idea for Keyboard for awhile now, up this very alley. I grew up plaing in all kinds of cover bands, and still do, one of them devoted to 70's funk. There's a lot of cover band staples in the funk area that many bands interpret well, but nobody does quite right. Bass and drums share a good part of the responsibility for pulling it off, of course, but as a keyboard player I've often found myself doing something that sounds good, but that just ain't IT.

So, the piece... was thinking of going around to a few horses' mouths and getting tips, transcriptions, and perhaps audio and MIDI files of some funk staples.. say, half a dozen or so. Also was going to shoot for anecdotes about how the line was created, how it interacted with the other instrument parts during the recording, etc.

Good idea? Any requests?

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

There's been a lot of stuff over the years in Keyboard, especially Master Classes. Off the top of my head I recall articles about Bernie Worrell, Ivan Neville, Clavinet comping tips from Mark Harrison's Pop Piano Book, and T Lavitz (which is more like white-boy jam funk). However, I agree -- I would love to see a compendium of this stuff all in one issue.

For transcriptions, someone's got to transcribe Herbie's figures from Thrust. They're easy to figure out (I know the lick from "Palm Grease") but they're essential to funk keyboard comping. I'd love to see someone transcribe the oft-forgotten Rhodes solo from "Chameleon."

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I really enjoyed the Bernie Worrell Master Class in the February 2000 issue of keyboard. There are some audio files from the class online at

http://archive.keyboardonline.com/master/worrell.shtml

You'll learn a little bit also about how Bernie applies his classical music training to develop great funk grooves!

Ben

Originally posted by BenOne:

I really enjoyed the Bernie Worrell Master Class in the February 2000 issue of keyboard. There are some audio files from the class online at

http://archive.keyboardonline.com/master/worrell.shtml

You'll learn a little bit also about how Bernie applies his classical music training to develop great funk grooves!

Ben

Thanks, Ben! That´s the one!

/J :cool: nas

Stephen - that article/feature sounds like a good idea. I hope you folks go ahead with it. It would be nice to see some of the stuff shared here compiled together in one place. Or totally new suggestions.

Very good suggestions. Keep them coming.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Originally posted by Chip Curtis:

Keyboard + Funk = Clav

I still can't find a convincing sample of one. Like the killer clav on whatever old Jeff Beck song that is.

Hmm, I am kind of picky with sound quality, and must confess I am pretty happy with the Clav sounds I got from the ROLAND SRJV-8008. Been rocking for many hours trying to get to grips with Stevie Wonder's "Superstitious" magic Clav (oh boy, ain't that one hard to get right...) and to my ears the Nr. 198 patch "Vibraclav" really nails the original. Very, very funky...

P.S. = By the way, I've downloaded a video from Stevie's early 70s live performance and was overwhelmed by his technique. I must really push my coordination capabilities hard to manage to play a poor rendition of only part of his Clav work (need both my hands to do it) while singing the line at the same time. And then the video reveals that the SOB does the clav riff on his left hand while happily playing the groovy off-tempo piano chops on his right hand, all the while singing with his flawless pitch and groove... I better quit. Or go blind. Looks like it helps...

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

So Roland I take it you have a copy of the Funk Keyboards - The Complete Method? Looking at the reviews on www.amazon.com it looks as though it might be pretty helpful. What's your take on it?

RobT

Originally posted by RobT:

So Roland I take it you have a copy of the Funk Keyboards - The Complete Method? Looking at the reviews on www.amazon.com it looks as though it might be pretty helpful. What's your take on it?

I like it. I practiced some of these left hand licks along with the CD. These exercises are made of loops which play several times and you can play along with the rhythm group. If you have an audio sequencer program you can import these loops and make your own practice program out of this (as I did). Some of the licks I like so much that I meanwhile have "adopted" them into my regular solo playing.

Besides this, she has a lot of valuable tips about rhythm playing, phrasing and stuff like that, all aimed towards good funky grooves (which often contradicts the traditional jazz phrasing I am so used to ;) ).

All in all, I can recommend this book. I rate myself as an average player with good theroretical background. Most of the time, I could almost instantly play and derive from the exercises, but a few of them really challenged me :D

• 3 weeks later...
hey theres this book that goes into Stevies keyboard playing style. I think its called "Signature Licks of Stevie Wonder". I have it, its GREAT!! its not just his funk stuff...but has songs from throughout his career with some licks transcribed and some explanations. Its brilliant. When i go home ill look up the exact name.

Originally posted by Hartmann:

Keyboard + Funk = Clav

Been rocking for many hours trying to get to grips with Stevie Wonder's "Superstitious" magic Clav (oh boy, ain't that one hard to get right...)

I think it's more than one part, overdubbed. I saw a video about Stevie recording in the studio, I think he was doing "Higer Ground" (another killer clav part), and he was playing the synth bass along with himself, it was like two parts put together. Freaked me out. (If you listen to it real close you can hear notes come in after notes with bends and vibrato that IMHO are too close to do on an ARP 2600, IMMostHO).

P.S. = By the way, I've downloaded a video from Stevie's early 70s live performance and was overwhelmed by his technique. I must really push my coordination capabilities hard to manage to play a poor rendition of only part of his Clav work (need both my hands to do it) while singing the line at the same time. And then the video reveals that the SOB does the clav riff on his left hand while happily playing the groovy off-tempo piano chops on his right hand, all the while singing with his flawless pitch and groove... I better quit. Or go blind. Looks like it helps...

Yeah, he can play his stuff better than anyone. But I saw him live after I saw that video, and he's definitely not playin' all of that clav part on "Superstition". But it was still slammin', and he'd burn up anybody tryin' to play HIS shit.

Listen to it REAL close, and you'll hear it sounds like he's got more than ten fingers.

I could be wrong though. But anyway, thinking it was overdubs, allowed me to relax my brain. :D

Sly :cool:

P.S. The one thing that helped me get funky on the Clav, was learning the basic drum rudiments, like if you were playing congas.

Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Originally posted by sudeep:

hey theres this book that goes into Stevies keyboard playing style. I think its called "Signature Licks of Stevie Wonder". I have it, its GREAT!! its not just his funk stuff...but has songs from throughout his career with some licks transcribed and some explanations. Its brilliant. When i go home ill look up the exact name.

Say Sudeep, did you ever find out the name of that book. Sounds like another one I'll have to pick up.

RobT

Originally posted by Stephen Fortner:

Good idea? Any requests?

Besides a possibly deeper interview/analyses (how did he decide when/how to cross over into those elegant psuedo-classical lines?) of Worrell's work, focusing on less obvious examples than the earlier article, how about Junie Morrison, who played with both the Ohio Players ("Funky Worm"!) & PFunk, as well as issuing solo discs.

Several latter-day Parliament discs were virtually all him.

Archived