Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

softsynth ,minimmog, how good?

dontae

any on eused this? how does it sound?

If i have PTLE.digig 002, how do I use a minimoog V in protools?

does it pull up a s a plugin and record directlt to a track as audio???

totally newbie to softsynth phenomenom...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tried the demo and it is probably the best Minimoog emulation out there. However, its filter especially with the resonance turned up to near oscillation, doesn't quite have that bite that a real Minimoog has. It is also a CPU hog, much like the Moog Modular V. I believe it can be used as an RTAS plugin in Pro Tools.

what kind of system are you using that it hogged up comp space?...I have G4 1.42dp

does it record real audio in real time or midi bull.. that has to be converted..in which case it'll be too much hassle.

I've demo'ed the new arturia minimoog V at a local store....it sounds pretty good. Pretty darn close, I'd say. Didn't have the real thing side by side for comparisons, tho. Pretty darn close, I'd say. And for $200, it's a great value. Lots of presets, full polyphony. I bought it.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Originally posted by dontae:

Does it record right onto an audio track in real-time?

thus showing a wave audio file or is it only midi..forgive me I'm new to softsynths.

It instantiates as a plug in in your DAW. You can then record directly if you wish.

"For instance" is not proof.

Ok I downloaded the demo and installed.

It sounds awesome and I want to buy it, but I cant use it as a plug in...what do I do to pull it up in the insert box???

I 'm now playing it via midi as a standalone unit?

thanks

A friend of mine brought in the demo of the Arturia Minimoog to my studio last week. Since I have a real Minimoog we were able to do a head to head comparison for once.

I short, these were my impressions:

If you just played a note, say a C, on the Minis, you could get them to sound quite, but not exactly similar. BUT, as soon as you started to twist a knob, forget about it. The filter on the real Mini just sound much, more musical and sweet. The resonance has a lot more bite and range on the real one, and so on...

Ok, we weren't exactly scientific in our test but for us the results were clear. Even when we blindtested for each other it was no problem to pick out the real one.

It was also interesting to note that it was much easier to get the real Mini to sound like the virtual one than it was for the virtual to sound like the hardware.

That said, I still might buy it to have a portable version of the Mini. It´s a very good software instrument but it will in no way replace a real one. At least not for me.

I hope I didn't rain on anyones party :cool:

Regards,

Ulven

http://www.twendysplace.co.nz/smilies/buttong.gif

dontae,

Tell us your computer and software sequencer and maybe we can help. When you install the software it asks you what softsynth formats you want to install, and (I believe) where you want to put them.

I don't believe it sounds exactly like the real thing, but it does sound very close and I can afford it.

David

what kind of system are you using that it hogged up comp space?...I have G4 1.42dp

does it record real audio in real time or midi bull.. that has to be converted..in which case it'll be too much hassle.

I have a dual 500Mhz G4, 1GB RAM, OS 10.3.3.

I'm not sure what you mean by record real audio or midi. The Minimoog V is a plugin (or standalone program) that outputs audio and it can be controlled by a MIDI/USB keyboard controller. It doesn't record either audio or MIDI.

Ok I found part od it you have to call it up as a multi-stereo insert plug. Now it plays as a plug, but doesn not recieve midi thru PT?

Also what input do you assign for it?

mic/line???

it shows up on audio track but when I push record it does not record audio onto the track like my 3080 would?

I have it on an audio track?

HOt it you have to setup a midi track 1st then bus thru an audio streo track to record.

Now which analog soft synth do you guys think sounds the best....minimoog,pro 53, or Yamaha CS80?

what about absynth?...now I'm ready to go softsynth crazy and need a little direction

HOt it you have to setup a midi track 1st then bus thru an audio streo track to record.

Now which analog soft synth do you guys think sounds the best....minimoog,pro 53, or Yamaha CS80?

what about absynth?...now I'm ready to go softsynth crazy and need a little direction

Personally, I think the CS80V sounds the best for old school synth emulations.

Absynth is one of my favorite softsynths, I've been using it since before it was aquired by Native Instruments. The problem with Absynth is that the interface is not as immediate and inviting as something like the Pro 53, but the sounds it makes are so much more versatile especially if you're into more abstract stuff.

Another two good softsynths are the Malstrom graintable synth and Subtractor, both in Reason 2.5. Those two synths running in a Reason rack while ReWired into Ableton Live can produce some really striking sounds, even more so when processed by Ableton's excellent effects, like the Grain Delay. One of my favorite ways to get some new sounds quickly is to select new graintables in the two oscillators of the Malstrom, and change the start position of the graintable. This can drastically change the character of the original patch.

thank you for the replies I'm really progressing.

Ok...I listened to demo's of absynth and it sounds incredible!!! kinda like matrix the movie shit.I have to buy it if it's user freindly.

I loved arturia CS80 demo alot! Moog V was cool.

CS80 demo crashed my protools LE (new) rig twice what's up with that?!?

I have a G4 powermac 1.42 dual processor...man,do you need a laptop to just run softsynths?

Originally posted by Tom Fiala:

I wonder how the Arturia Minimoog V compares to the Creamware MiniMax....hmm, a shoot-out just waiting to happen!!

Here is a Minimax review at futureproducers...

http://www.futureproducers.com/article.php/id/6?PHPSESSID=1aad76d35eb51d8393f8ae02b67d88db

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

Archived