Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - The Best Sandwich?

Dave Bryce

Don't ask me why I'm starting this topic. It's just been one of them there days that finds one in search of something...distracting... ;):rolleyes::freak:

SO.....

Cast your vote here for the best sandwich! Inquiring minds want to know!

As many of you know, I think the best sandwich is a Real Actual Philly cheesesteak. Nice, fresh roll, fried onions, WHITE American cheese, and ketchup (ideally from Jim's, at the corner of 4th and South streets).

Yum. :love::D:thu:

Honorable mention to the greatest utility sandwich of all time - the turkey club. You can pretty much always count on a turkey club to be what you expect it to be...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ketchup??? See, I learn more new shit here than anywhere, and I've hung with Dave for years without realizing this. All I learned from him is that green peppers are not on a traditional Philly cheesesteak.

I have to vote for the morning-after-Thanksgiving sandwich. White bread, white turkey meat, stuffing and mayo. Oh man...I remember being in high school, when I'd wake up on that day, take three or more bongloads and hit the fridge. Oh yeah, baby.

You can also do the hot open-faced version as well, with a little leftover gravy heated up. But I prefer the first version. Damn, now I'm hungry as hell. Thanks a lot, Dave.

- Jeff

Or another kind of morning after Thanksgiving sandwich. About three inches of chilled honey baked ham in white bread with a sharp mustard.

Hmmh, it's dinner time, methinks.

Jerry :)

Originally posted by cg1155:

You have it right about the cheesesteak, but of course it should come from Pats . . .

-Casey

sorry, Casey, but it's Jim's

Originally posted by TheWewus:

They have a sandwhich at Subway called The Italian BMT that is mighty fine, Dave. It must be like 2000 calories and 100 grams of fat though.

There are sandwich shops here called DiBella's, where they something called a Godfather. Genoa salami, hot ham, capicola on rolls they bake on the premisis. Add provolone, lettuce, tomato, hot peppers, and their own Italian dressing, and you've an amazing final meal before you block your last remaining healthy coronary artery.

On a lighter note, try thick slices of a big height-of-summer tomato, a pinch of salt, Hellman's mayo, and good white bread.

I'm sorry, but if you prefer Jims then you must have stopped there while the tour bus was filling up on Gas. Pat's is the CLASSIC Philly cheese steak sandwich, and any Philly res will say so! IMHO of course . . .

-Casey

Pat's is the CLASSIC Philly cheese steak sandwich, and any Philly res will say so! IMHO of course . . .

Not any Philly res, my brother...

You do know that I was born and bred there, right? I know plenty o' Philly-ites who prefer Jim's.

Personally, I'd be quite happy with either - I actually even have a Pat's T-shirt.

If the truth must be told, my absolute fave was always Oregon Steaks @ 12th and Oregon...or Pudge's out in Blue Bell.

Damn - now I'm hungry, too...maybe it was a bad idea to start this thread...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I like egg sandwiches. Fried eggs. Not runny. As for the bread, Eng. Muffin or a soft bagel. Hard roll good too. Deluxe toppings would include swiss cheese, bacon and onions. Salt and lots of pepper. Sometimes you can get all multicult with it and add some guac and hot sauce. One place in town--Mary's Country Kitchen--has a breakfast sandwich hero.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Magpel:

I like egg sandwiches. Fried eggs.

Yep, nothin' like a late night fried egg sandwich with melted cheese and Tabasco. :love:

Hey Mag, look at that... we totally agree on something. :eek:

And if you're having that same sandwich at 1:00am, while watching the Lakers 4th qtr replay...now we're talking!!! :thu:

I don't know if this counts as a sandwich, since it's specifically intended for breakfast, but my favorite "on-the-run" breakfast is two frozen waffles, the kind you heat in the toaster, with peanut butter and jelly. Mmmmmm....

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

When I worked at Anchorage Center...every now and again one of the controllers on break would go on a lunch run...and the Philly Cheese Steaks at a little place called "Wings 'n' Things" were to die for...

Yep. Other fave sandwiches are Reubens (I'm a kraut nut)...anything with fresh tomatoes, like a turkey club...oh yeah, a nice fresh ham sandwich is great. Anything you can put bacon on goes a long way, too...

I like the old standby grilled cheese in a pinch, and I always add some coldcuts. Once in awhile...put some pizza sauce on it...or even just garlic powder.

Now you've gone and done it. Mmmmm...where's the fridge...hmmm...(root root root)...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Monte Christo of course!

Jerry's Famous Deli in Pasadena and Westwood makes a good one.

And of course a Reuben- best one I ever had was in Boston. And like I always say, sauerkraut has to be SOUR, not slimy sweet like Jar Jar's boogers.

Originally posted by Superbobus:

Any sandwich at café 2005 in The Hague will do and it's just around the corner for me! :D Especially Wasabi ham and cheese (I think that's some sort of Japanese stuff).

Hey Pim, don't you agree that Americans should work on their coffee? :P

Hey, there, not all of us Yanks drink crappy coffee. :D
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Last month marked eight years as a vegetarian for me, so I'll go with:

1) Peanut butter and jelly: crunchy peanut butter, of course, with strawberry preserves on wheatberry bread.

2) Avocado sandwich: with romaine lettuce, Roma tomatoes, cucumber, yellow mustard, and Swiss cheese on whole wheat bread.

3) Grilled cheese: I admit it, I like Velveeta! ... again, on wheatberry bread.

In my meat eating days I liked meatball sandwiches and BLTs. Sorry Dave, I never tried a Philly Cheesesteak; and now it's too late!

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

It's a shame they call that fluid coffee. Just the same with their interpretation of football & hockey. Just isn't fair... ;)
:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

I vote for a genuine hoagie (Philly cheesesteak and others). As a kid anytime we went to vist relatives in Philly we had to bring back a ton of hoagies. Half of them never made back on the ride to Detroit.

A good Rueben is also the stuff. Quite a few good deli's in metro Detroit. Jason's Deli here in Charlotte is pretty darn close.

And last but not least a genuine Lafayette Coney Island. May they R.I.P.

RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Originally posted by soapbox:

Last month marked eight years as a vegetarian for me..

In that case, I can't resist. :D

This brazilian joint in Port Chester NY had the best sandwich ever.

Steak, egg, cheese, tomatoes and sauteed onions.

Excellent.

I've never really cared for the philly cheese steak anywhere I had - for some reason they always used either crappy meat (where's my cat?) or some cheese that had the same texture as my car's tire. But then again, I've never been to Philly ;)

I've always been a big tuna melt guy also, but the quality of this seems to vary hugely.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by Pim:

It's a shame they call that fluid coffee. Just the same with their interpretation of football & hockey. Just isn't fair... ;)
That does it...we're booting you Europeans right off the sandwich thread. ;)

Insult my coffee if you must (as I sit here in the morning drinking a double caffe latte that tastes plenty good), but don't mess with my football or hockey. :D

Hey, back to topic: a good Reuben really is a great sandwich. Anyone know how it got its name? Well, it's a matter steeped in debate and controversy.

For my initial investigation into this matter, I consulted American Food Folklore and Culinary History: Buffalo Wings, Reuben Sandwiches, and Caesar Salads by Jim Rader. He describes the controversy that began in the late 1980s when an Omaha, Nebraska, columnist challenged the Random House College Dictionary's reuben etymology, which attributed the sandwich to "Arnold Reuben (1883-1970), U.S. restaurateur."

Reuben's was a landmark Manhattan delicatessen, first established around 1908. It occupied several locations before moving to East 58th Street in 1935, where it stayed for the next thirty years. Arnold Reuben's daughter describes a Reuben Special sandwich created in 1914 to feed Annette Seelos, Charlie Chaplin's hungry leading lady. The Special featured meat, cheese, cole slaw, and russian dressing on buttered toasted rye.

Folks in Omaha advocate a different genealogy. They claim that a wholesale grocer named Reuben Kulakofsky created the sandwich at Omaha's Blackstone Hotel back in 1925 (1922 in some versions), to feed players in a late-night poker game. It was such a hit that the hotel owner put it on the menu and named it in Reuben K.'s honor.

Years later, in 1956, Fern Snider, a waitress at the Blackstone, entered the recipe in a national sandwich competition and won. Documentation for some of these events does exist, including a 1937 menu from the Cornhusker Hotel in Lincoln, Nebraska, describing the Reuben as we know it today: corn beef, sauerkraut, and swiss cheese on russian rye with a special dressing.

"I suspect the real history of the Reuben sandwich has yet to be written," concludes Rader, and I suspect he's right. Perhaps this can be the basis for the next "X-Files" feature film...the Reuben is Out There.

And Geoff Grace, I even found a tofu Reuben recipe for you, you veggie-lover. Sound a little scary to me, but then again I like to eat animals so there we have it.

- Jeff

Yeah, for this South Jersey kid the cheesesteak wins, hands down. There was a place though, I think it was on Oregon Ave, called DiNicks that had a roast pork sandwich that would really get your attention. And the "boys" that I hung out with from South Philly preferred Geno's over Pat's. I don't think those fellas even made it as far north as South St.

God, I'm salivating.

K.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I'm sorry, but if you prefer Jims then you must have stopped there while the tour bus was filling up on Gas. Pat's is the CLASSIC Philly cheese steak sandwich, and any Philly res will say so! IMHO of course . . .

-Casey

Jim's is a tourist trap and Pat's is good, but I personally prefer Geno's mushroom whizsteak without (in Phillyease: Steak with cheese whiz, mushrooms, without onions). Steaks and hoagies HAVE to be on fresh Amorosi long rolls to be authentic, though (makes ALL the difference in the world)

Other contentders:

In the Reading Terminal: 1.) Rocco's Italian Special hoagie (procuitto, capicola, pepperoni, ham) w/ sharp provolone and 2.) Tony Dinic's 3P: Roast Pork w/ sharp provlone and roasted peppers.

On South Street: Ishkabibble's (diagonally across from Jim's) Chicken Cheesesteak w/ provolone

My secret spot on 8th and Market: Pagano's Cajun Chicken sandwich w/ sharp provolone and roasted peppers on a sesame seed long roll (with mayo!).

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Archived