Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#781266 - 05/15/06 02:11 AM music video contract
sleepwalk Offline

Loc: Inglewood, CA
This filmmaker likes one of my songs and wants to shoot a 16mm music video for it. He seems like a nice guy and I've seen his work and like it, but what sort of things do I need to expect from the contract ? Obviously, if he started getting paid for it somehow, I should be getting paid too, as it is my music and my likeness will be shot also. Is there some kind of standard I should expect ? Thanks.

#781267 - 05/19/06 06:55 PM Re: music video contract
GTRBass Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca
I have had the exact same experience. A very well known character actor is moving into directing and approached us about doing a video for his director's demo reel. It was shot on the weekend of April 22nd and is in post. We didn't pay a dime. He spent $5K easily on the production for film gear rental, catering, and crew expenses. We rented some extra backline and pitched in as much as we could. It's like a gift from heaven.

The deal we have is that we signed a release for our likeness to be used. We don't owe him any return on investment. You need to remember that a video is a marketing tool. He's using it to market his skills as an exemplary director. We're using it to market our music.

There really isn't any money to be made off of a video. It is a loss leader. When you get a video played on MTV, VH1, etc, you have to sign off on publishing. They don't owe you a thing for playing it. It's a commercial for the song on the album. Labels will sometimes release a video collection of a band's videos on DVD but those things generally don't sell very well. The music DVD's that do sell are usually live concert videos and "behind the music" type documentaries, etc.

#781268 - 06/17/06 02:35 PM Re: music video contract
sleepwalk Offline

Loc: Inglewood, CA
thanks for the reply. yeah, from what i heard from other people, it's basically what you said. a commercial for the album. well, i ended up signing a contract with them. they paid $8K for it, plus they wanted to be compensated for their work $10K. So the thing would have to make $18K before I would see anything. Though it's doubtful that it ever will make that much. Anyhow, splitting the profit thereafter I get 50% - which sounded pretty good to me. we shot it june 10 and 11, should be showing up on the internet in a few weeks, and wherever else we can get to play it.