Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#781248 - 02/03/06 11:05 PM what to look for in a manager
Mr.Knowitall Offline

Hi,
My unsigned band and I just called an entertainment manager who saw us play and was very enthusiastic. We know from experience to trust anyone. That's why I'm asking this. What should we look for in this manager? What price for their services is reasonable? What exactly should the manager do for us? We know basically a mananger should do. Like get you exposure and book gigs and the like. But what else? Any current or former manager's replies would be greatly apprectiated. Thank you!

#781249 - 02/07/06 01:50 PM Re: what to look for in a manager
typi Offline

Loc: Coast to Coast
I think it's good that you are tryin' to stretch out.......BUT, watch for the sharks out there.

1.) get everything in writing.
2.) try to make sure you can get out of any agreement if the manager does not perform after an initial, short 'trial period'
3.) look at his existing track record and ask to apeak to existing clients. If he says 'no', lookout.
4.) Be prepared to NEGOTIATE his fee - no more than 20%, I'd say, and on a sliding scale, such as, 'if we make X dollars, you get 10%', if we make Y dollars, you get 15%', you get the picture.

This is just a quick guide. The main thing is a clear, written agreement as to what he will do, and in turn, what you will do, at a fair price.

Good Luck!

#781250 - 02/26/06 03:03 PM Re: what to look for in a manager
mdgproductions Offline

Loc: canada
If you can,book the gigs yourself for now and learn all you can about the business end of the music business.If you play on a regular basis
start getting intervews with college papers and radio.They are more willing to do interviews
and a great way to start off a good press kit.

A manager isn't exactly necessary,but if you want one, get them to work with you through the
lean times until you are touring regularly.
A Manager should only get 10%.Then if you hire
an agent on top of that it could cost you an extra 10%.

Talk to your local Musician's union,which is the
AFM here in North America.They can set you up with a good agent to book your act.And the AFM
website has all kinds of material on booking
your band properly,learning how to write and
protect your music,as well as learning the nuts
and bolts of making a living as a Musician.

I have a website called Canadain Guitar Player Magazine,and I write articles and interview Musicians,as well as setting up bios and press kits.I don't know if you have a CD,but you can send me your CD or some MP3's and I'll do an online review for you.

If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask.

Mark

#781251 - 02/28/06 04:44 AM Re: what to look for in a manager
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Look for a track record. Who has he put where? Then ask those involved if it is true. Frankly, if he cannot get you a great label deal with support written in, who needs him???

Ask others who have dealt with the man.
Understand that not everyone gets along, so the more people you ask, the more accurate your info will be.

The cost could be anything. (Back Street Boys were paying out 75% in handling fees.) A manager would really have to be something special to get more than 20% from me.

Honestly, if I was out and gigging again, I'd be looking to establish a relationship with a good booking agent. I'd worry about management when someone started throwing record deals at me.

In any case, get EVERYTHING in writing, do not assume anything, and before you sign anything at all, make sure that you have an independent ENTERTAINMENT laywer (your uncle Joe who does property law is NOT QUALIFIED) approve it and explain exactly what the gibberish means, before you sign, before you sign, before you sign....

Bill

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.