Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#781019 - 02/05/03 09:00 PM Poor mans copyright
DigitalpuMP Offline

Loc: Bronx, NY
Hey is this true can u send yourself your own work through the mail and never open it and it will stand up in court if it has to? My brother sends himself all of his songs through the mail and stores them is that a good idea or what?

#781020 - 02/06/03 01:18 PM Re: Poor mans copyright
T.H. Offline

Loc: NEW JERSEY
There's nothing wrong with that, just dont open it, the stamp will be your savior if ever needed in the court of law.

That entales the copyright date which made it official that you are the sole owner and proprieter and author of the created works.

But also ideally, once it's in your computer (If you use this to record) there is a date in the list column that notes the actual mm/dd/yr you created the idea-- this helps too (not many people know that)

#781021 - 02/06/03 05:38 PM Re: Poor mans copyright
Stephen Fortner Offline
But who is number 1 ? ...
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Oakland, CA, UNITED STATES
Mailing something to yourself, preferably registered or certified mail, is tired and true but not foolproof. If it comes down to court, and the other party's lawyer is any good, they'll try to shift the burdern of proof onto you that the envelope was, in fact, never actually open.

Recently, I was beta-testing this software called MasterWriter, which is essentially a huge associative database for songwriters and lyricists. It includes a feature they call Song Guard, an online registry that gives you proof of date-of-origination. I think things like this may be the future of "poor man's copyright."

Stephen Fortner
Principal, Fortner Media
Editor at Large, Keyboard Magazine
Contributor, Gearslutz.com

#781022 - 02/11/03 03:31 AM Re: Poor mans copyright
surfmonkey Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
No. That doesn't stand up anymore, as it is too easy to alter mail (steam open envelopes,ect.). The only way to really protect yourself (unfortunately) is to file a form with the copy right office. If you are on a tight budget, try copy righting(?) your songs as a collection. Every song gets copyrighted, but you only have to fill out one form and pay the fee once. Many people don't know about this.

#781023 - 02/12/03 01:50 AM Re: Poor mans copyright
Slowly Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Burien, Washington. U.S.A.
Click 10 myths about copyright. Kcbass

#781024 - 02/13/03 11:38 AM Re: Poor mans copyright
ian432 Offline

Loc: lehigh valley,PA,UNITED STATES
"CONFESSIONS OF A RECORD PRODUCER" BY http://WWW.MOSESAVALON.COM
is a great source on some real cases that have gone down over copyrights, full of pithy stuff, well written and easy to understand.
blessings
ian bruce
http://www.432miles.org

#781025 - 02/13/03 11:53 AM Re: Poor mans copyright
Calfee Jones Offline

Loc: Memphis USA
The problem with both copywrites and trademarks is not whether you can afford to buy them, but can you afford to keep them.

You have to aggressively defend them in court if you feel someone has violated your copywrite. That means legal costs!! Lot's of them! and if you are going head to head with some of the big boys - well they have much deeper pockets than you do.

According to the law, a work is copywrited as soon as you create it, whether you register it or not. Registration provides a good reference for creation date. But like has been said before, you can copywrite collections together as 1 copywrite. So you should be able to come up with the $15 - $20 to do that!

#781026 - 02/16/03 09:17 PM Re: Poor mans copyright
aliengroover Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cydonia, Mars (By way of PA)
Again...registering your copyright for $30 isn't asking too much. You can cram alot onto an 80 minute CD...20 four minute songs.

But one "poor man's" way through the P.O. is to send it priority and have the P.O. put that great little tape on it, not to mention already having that great "ripper opener" (or whatever it's called). You can't get around that at all. Still, I don't recommend that. Just send the $30.
Peace

#781027 - 03/12/03 12:46 AM Re: Poor mans copyright
daddyelmis Offline
Gold Member

Loc: USA
Mailing it to yourself simply provides (some) evidence of the creation date of the copyrighted work, which will be needed in defending or attacking another work.

You must register the work with the US Library of Congress (the $30 copyright registration) in order to file suit in federal court (which is the only place you can sue for copyright infringement).

Registration is simply that, registering the work. The LOC doesn't make any judgment on whether your copyright claim is worth a damn . . . I could send in a cd of Hey Jude (well, that one they might recognize and reject) and get a copyright registration.

#781028 - 02/13/05 11:50 AM Re: Poor mans copyright
agi Offline

Where to get Copyright Quick and cheap?

I will tell you where.
Copyright.AstraGate.net has been providing a new copyright service, and also allowing others to sell it under their brand names for a while. They have reduced their fee

from $84.95 to $67.95, and now (those were already low cost) down to ONLY $29.95.
This makes things so much easier and cheaper.
Here is a copy and paste from the http://copyright.AstraGate.net site.
Until now, getting this essential federal protection was complicated and often required the hassle and expense of an attorney. Those days are gone!

eliminates the confusion and complexity from the copyright process. Its step-by-step wizard and expert assistance guides you through completing the copyright

application in just minutes

Their automated service with their expert assistance makes things smooth, and quick, and hassle free.

No attorney needed!

Get a Copyright Fast; Easy - $29.95 . FINALLY!

#781029 - 03/03/06 04:44 PM Re: Poor mans copyright
Bridog6996 Offline
KCFF League Champ '12
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Calfee Jones:
The problem with both copywrites and trademarks is not whether you can afford to buy them, but can you afford to keep them.

You have to aggressively defend them in court if you feel someone has violated your copywrite. That means legal costs!! Lot's of them! and if you are going head to head with some of the big boys - well they have much deeper pockets than you do.
Yes, it will be a long and arduous process in most cases, but you WILL recoup your legal fees when the case is decided in your favor. So in the end it will cost you nothing, that is, unless you lose. Just make sure you have a solid case first of all, then have the balls to stick it out to the end.

I've noticed a lot of talk about certain "workarounds" in relation to copyrighting. I just want to reiterate that the ONLY, I repeat, the ONLY proof of copyright that a court of law will recognize is your registration with the official US Copyright Office. If you were involved with a copyright infringement case and walked into court with your unopened mail that you sent to yourself, or your special Priority Mail sealed package, it would get thrown out faster than you can say "waste of time."

#781030 - 03/13/06 05:08 PM Re: Poor mans copyright
David9 Offline

Be very careful with cheap copyright options. You should read this site in detail about how the Poor Man s Copyright doesnt stand up in court.

#781031 - 04/04/06 07:53 PM Re: Poor mans copyright
Gezzer Offline

Loc: N Stonington, CT
If you read the first paragragh from the US copyright law. It states that filing with the office does assure your ownership of the property.
As stated in the 10 myths. You have a ownership of the property the moment you create it.
The only reason for the the copyrights office was that in the past there was no way to effectivly time stamp this type of property.
Copyright is not a Patent.
With todays technology there are many ways to publish and timestamp your creative ideas.
All of which are of little importance unless someone is making some money.
Manyof my friends are afraid to post their material on the internet. "Its not copyrighted". Of course it is, your holding a CD in your hand you knuclehead.
I tell I wish a famous, rich artist would steal my material. Maybe I could make some money off it.
Get It.

Gezzer

#781032 - 04/19/06 02:04 PM Re: Poor mans copyright
MDz Offline

Loc: MD
look man.....its only like $30-$35 and you can a whole cd of your music copyrighted, trust me its a lot easier

#781033 - 07/26/06 06:06 AM Re: Poor mans copyright
Chad Thorne Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pittston, Maine, USA
"You have a ownership of the property the moment you create it."

Just to clarify - your work is copyrighted from the moment in which you put it in a "tangible medium", e.g. writing it down or recording it. Just having it in your head is not enough.

I use Finale to score my tunes and along with everything else there's a tab under "properties" that tells date and time of the file's creation. Could also probably work with mp3's or .wav files that you record onto your PC.