Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who uses a china here???

Well I don't have one because I've played one, and I don't have any kind of use for one, does anybody know what (besides that it's for effects) a china would be useful for???

---------------------

I make world class music, I just forget to write it down...

Don't touch my car! *wack!*

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That seems strange considering your user name. :D

I like a china in the context of blast/death type metal. I prefer the sound of a smaller one (like a 12"), which sounds about like a metal trash can lid.

Great way to enter a blastbeat. I think they just cut, which is what you need when you are trying to add accents to 2000 watts of screaming guitars and some guy belching like he's trying to take a shit...all of this taking place at about 220bbm. :D

Well I use rock cymbals and I am looking to buy a couple splashes, my current (incomplete) setup is, 14" Sabian B8 HH's, 16" Sabian B8 Rock Crash, 14" Sabian B8Pro Thin Crash, 20" Sabian B8 Ride, and an 18" Sabian B8 Crash/Ride... :D Notice I use Sabian and am familiar with the B8 series, (I do like AAx though...

---------------------

I make world class music, I just forget to write it down...

Don't touch my car! *wack!*

I have a wonderful, wonderful old china sizzle that I got off ebay for like $20. Man it's cool.

It's maybe 10-12"- little thing. A short, trashy crash with some bite.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

i use an 18 sabian aax china and is great when played with just a snare as has a very fast attack

also have 18 inch AAX Metal crash 19 inch AAX Metal crash 14 inch AAx metal hats 8 inch AAX splash and a 20 inch Zildjian Z series rock ride,

sabian don't make a ride with a large enough bell so i prefer this more expensive option and have had the ride for 11 years!!

I've got a 12" Wuhan China that I bought for $20. It gets used a lot, almost as much as my 16" Paiste Crash. You can get a lot of good sounds out of a good china cymbal. I'd recommend trying out a lot of them, they all sound a bit different.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

i have a 22" zil.. dont make them anymore.. the thing beastly magicial. kinda like my 24" zil ride. i use a 18" zil remix ride now but i love the differnt colors.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense."

Originally posted by deathdrummer:

Blue Strat, i will take your advice thank you...

EricRIM, do you mean they stop making chinas because i havent seen any by Zil for a long long time...

Zil never stoppped making them .. them sell a bunch

http://www.zildjian.com/en-US/products/default.ad2?catalogID=1013&typeID=13

just my beast of a china is no longer around... i like small ones aswell fun fast attack stabs..

"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense."

Originally posted by the stranger:

If you get one and you are a hard hitter, make sure you play it with the flair down. They are real easy to crack.

Is it a drumming practice to play with the flair up also?? Obviously it will break more easily this way and destroy your sticks but does anyone do it??? Having said that, spose you can hit anything anyway you want: tis a free world after all!!! :D

Originally posted by richiejazz:

Originally posted by the stranger:

If you get one and you are a hard hitter, make sure you play it with the flair down. They are real easy to crack.

Is it a drumming practice to play with the flair up also?? Obviously it will break more easily this way and destroy your sticks but does anyone do it??? Having said that, spose you can hit anything anyway you want: tis a free world after all!!! :D
Mine is mounted with the edges down so I can hit the edge for a washed gong sound or hit the transition point for a loud bang. :)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

• 3 weeks later...

I actuall have an 18" china, 16" wuhan, and a 10" wuhan. The 18" wuhan was too sloppy for me. I like a quick attack. On the 18" china cymbal, I like using it with the edges down. I always use all parts of the cymbal in Jazz. You can get many effects from one cymbal.

Jazzman :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I own a 20", 18" 16" & 14" Wuhan. I like Wuhan because they sound like a China should (trashy)and they are extremely cost effective.

I mostly use the 20" or the 14". Obviously they are used mostly for a specific accent, however I find playing a ride pattern on a China cymbal can really driver a song.

I play mostly bebop or fusion, but I also get a fair amount of calls for "classic rock gigs" (I guess cause I'm old). I find places to use a China on many songs - but like anything, one must use "good taste".

• 14 years later...

Does a Swish count as a China? If so, then yes I do. Mainly I use a Paiste 20' signature as a ride cymbal.

My first China experience was with a Sabian Carmine China. Boy, if you wanna kill your guitar player, this was the piece. It didn"t last long in my setup as I discovered that unlike regular crash cymbals with which you could strike more or less interchangeably, a china crash only works in certain places and screws up things to my ear if you simply substitute it for any other crash.