Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Broken wrist
#735235 05/12/06 07:15 PM
Phil W Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Just managed to break my left wrist coaching football (soccer) in a bizarre accident. This apparently means an 8 week recovery. It's a cleanish break of the radius and the bones are still in position. They've put me in plaster.

Ok, no more gigs for a while and possibly no summer school in LA this July. It's possible (nasty thought) that I might not be playing for a couple of months (time to learn to sing, maybe?).

Luckily, I have two Lowdownites intersted in depping over the summer - that might be brought forward - no doubt gigs for both.

I'm not posting this in search of sympathy; there are people on the board with far greater problems. I was more wondering if anyone had advice or had been through anything similar.

Cheers,

Phil

BP Island
Re: Broken wrist
#735236 05/12/06 07:18 PM
G
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
G
Sorry to hear that! Fast and full recovery, please.

Maybe Wally Malone can chime in; he related a story regarding a pulled bicep or similar that put him completely out of action for quite some time.

#735237 05/12/06 07:22 PM
P
10k Club
10k Club
P
Don't start working the arm till the doctor says you can, and then go at it as hard as he'll let you, but absolutely no harder. Recovering from injuries is definitely a "slow and steady wins the race" kind of deal. Bring yourself back the right way, and it will be over sooner than if you complicate matters by doing it the wrong way in hopes of getting it back together sooner.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

#735238 05/12/06 07:24 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Phil...that stinks man. Hope you have a speedy and problem free recovery.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.
- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

http://www.reverbnation.com/gruuve/
#735239 05/12/06 07:30 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Uh, I sliced open the back of my fretting-hand thumb over the winter holidays. In order to let it heal quicker I refrained from playing at all. Fortunately I didn't have any performance commitments at the time. It healed in only a few weeks.

In college I did something stupid that sliced open the palm on my fretting hand. It didn't bother me too much until I realized that had things gone worse I could have severed some things that make my fingers work. The thought of never being able to play any stringed instrument (like I was used to doing) was horrific. Again, I was in between bands at the time, so there were no immediate ramifications. However, I was quite depressed for some time over it. (If you start feeling depressed, be sure to do something about it.)

It taught me to be a little more careful. Of course, even "careful" can't always prevent accidents.

Speaking of preventing accidents, how many of you have ever thought about your hand position on the steering wheel when you drive? A guitar-playing friend of mine once pointed out that if you loop your thumbs around the wheel and you are in a front-end collision, you can end up breaking both of your thumbs.

Phil, I think this is an opportunity for you to practice up on your bass foot pedal skills. No hands necessary, and you never know when that might come in handy!

[p.s. best wishes on your recovery]

#735240 05/12/06 08:24 PM
R
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
R
I'm really sorry to hear of your accident. I've experienced similar trouble.

In 8 weeks you could become a really great tabourine player.

Just kidding, Get well soon.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin
#735241 05/12/06 09:38 PM
10k Club
10k Club
Sorry to hear of your problems.

In a band situation you could conceivably play bass lines on a keyboard with your right hand.

But if you can afford to not do the gigs, you could study harmony and arranging during your time not playing the bass.

Or you could stop playing for a while to clear your head. I always seem to play better after a week in the mountains.

#735242 05/12/06 09:41 PM
A
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
A
Damn Phil, that sucks! Sounds like it's not 'too bad' a break - hope the recovery goes ok.

However, to find a silver lining in the cloud, have a go at the whole singing thang - I'm so glad I got forced into it and it's transformed my playing, writing and music in general.

Will you be around for a commiseratory luncheon in the imminent future?

Alex

#735243 05/12/06 09:48 PM
W
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
Phil, sorry to hear about your wrist. As Maury mentioned above I had my bicep tendon reattached and couldn't play for ten weeks. I was doing a show, Tony & Tina's Wedding, in San Francisco and my sub was happy to get the work. Soon as the cast came off I picked up my bass and started playing. As Picker stated above you should take the advice of your doctor. Your situation is different than mine. I did experience pain when starting back but it was in the sholder muscle since all those muscles are attached and when reattaching the tendon it shortens everything. After the muscles stretched out the pain went away.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!
#735244 05/12/06 10:07 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Phil- Sorry to hear of your injury.

A while back, I seperated a collarbone (mountain bike) and couldn't play for over 3 months.
Actually, I found the break a good thing, in that I was able to play more freely, not relying on familiar habits, starting fresh post healing.
Hopefully, you will find similar solace and enjoyment.

My best and sincere wishes for your recovery.
Have a rest. ;\)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

#735245 05/12/06 10:21 PM
tnb Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Horrible news!

Some friends were talking about what they would do if injured and couldn't play. We decided that ear training was is an consistently overlooked part of playing. Intervals, inversions and alterations, chord progressions, etc. Maybe even some theory or composing.

#735246 05/13/06 12:57 AM
Very sorry to hear that Phil, hopefully things will heal nicely and you'll be back at it soon.

It sounds like there is a lot of great advise and suggestions stated so far. I have nothing to add but good wishes.

Take care man,
Jason

#735247 05/13/06 01:49 AM
D
dcr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
I'm with Jeremy. The time off from bass etc. could actually be cathartic. And I think you're right to focus on diversifying yourself, e.g. working on singing. Your attitude sounds good, & that means a lot.

Still, very sorry to hear about your accident. Good luck!

#735248 05/13/06 05:08 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Ouch! Sorry to hear about that man.

Get well soon!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.
#735249 05/13/06 04:35 PM
Phil W Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Thanks, guys!
Lots of great advice. I'm going to the fracture clinic on Tuesday so I'll give you an update then. I keep wanting to pick up my bass and play, I'll have to put it away somewhere!
I'm making progress on the dep situation. Still hope to see London guys at my gig on the 24th June (though it won't be me playing - probably another Lowdownite).
http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/5/t/014590.html
I'm going to get in touch with the LA Music Academy to see if they can fit me in if I recover - or maybe I'll just take some private lessons!
Lunch would be great, Alex!
\:\)

#735250 05/13/06 05:06 PM
_
El Superfly Grande
MP Hall of Fame Member
El Superfly Grande
MP Hall of Fame Member
_
Sorry to read about this Phil. Indeed I agree with several of the others who have framed this as a potentially cathartic opportunity for different kinds of musical growth.

If you're not able to do your courses at the LA Music Academy, come further up the coast and hang out w/ Jeremy, Wally, et al...

I'm sure that Plato would have had something to say about how this might fit into a broader understanding of pleasure and happiness. dcr, care to comment?

Peace.
--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.
Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.
#735251 05/13/06 05:11 PM
Hey Phil,
All I can say is you are currently experiencing a nightmare. Sorry. And the only time you will wake up is when the doctor/therapist says it's time to wake up. Sorry again.

Too many times, too many people in my life have gotten impatient with their healing time and so they made things worse by not exercising their patience and healing properly so I just hope you can allow yourself the time needed to heal.

Let your wrist heal right. Do what your doctor/therapist says. Drink tons of milk.
Thing of it like your football coach (your God) has taken you out of the game and sat you on the bench. And if you think about, 8 weeks isn't very long at all and if you miss school this summer there's always next summer.

THE POINT TO ALL THIS is that you've been given a time out for some reason. Sh!t like this just doesn't happen. There ALWAYS a lesson in it somewhere, life is always about lessons.

Heal well!

#735252 05/13/06 05:32 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by UTS-D:
THE POINT TO ALL THIS is that you've been given a time out for some reason. Sh!t like this just doesn't happen. There ALWAYS a lesson in it somewhere, life is always about lessons. Heal well!
My sentiments exactly. Phil, we all want you to get well so follow your doc's advice (and ours) and give it time. I'm sure there are other areas of your life that require your attention right now and the bass projects/events on hold will come around again.

To add to the above, the 2 years I spent with carpal tunnel before undergoing surgery caused me to reflect and make major life changes. For instance, I find reading each day to be a welcome break from typing, answering the phones and surfing all day and a 30-minute walk every other day to give me a chance to reconnect with my body and my surroundings.

Phil, what's happened is both a tragedy and an opportunity blended together. Learn from it and it will make you better than you were before the injury happened. Enjoy the healing process, my friend!

"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." -Dale Carnegie

#735253 05/13/06 07:30 PM
Phil W Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Deep stuff guys, thanks.

UTS-D, I'm going straight to the milk. Fred and UTS-D, those posts really helped.

Sweet Willie, I'll see what my wife says about a change of plan; mind you she has a whole mess of ititnerary mapped out - but that's my wife for you.

Regarding the potential catharsis of a break, it's only recently I took a three year break from gigging/recording when my son was born and that was very rewarding - not to mention the time I got to spend with my son. Things were just starting to really get swinging again now before this happened, but hey - it's only 2 months! Anyway there are plenty of other areas of life needing attention.

My wife is bummed that I can't wash dishes though! ;\)

#735254 05/13/06 11:15 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Phil

does this mean you won't need your Wal for a few weeks? I would hate to see it go unused ...

No really, I am kidding. Get well soon sport. Funny, I was just thinking about taking singing lessons.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk
#735255 05/14/06 04:22 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Phil,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
Long ago I broke a bone in my right hand and not a week after I got it out of the cast I broke it again in the same place. Let the healing progress slowly and don't push yourself. Good luck and God bless.
Can't wash the dishes? I bet you'll really miss that. I'd milk that one for all it's worth. I hate washing dishes.
Get well soon and good luck with your singing.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

#735256 05/14/06 08:10 AM
Phil W Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Dr Sweet Willie,
My wife is keen to get up to Montrerey area again so maybe I can make it happen!
I'll keep you posted!

#735257 05/14/06 08:20 AM
Phil W Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
PM me when you know any details

#735258 05/14/06 11:38 AM
_
El Superfly Grande
MP Hall of Fame Member
El Superfly Grande
MP Hall of Fame Member
_
Quote:
Originally posted by Phil W:
PM me when you know any details
Done.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.
Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.
#735259 05/14/06 01:50 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Yikes and ouch Phil. As related above, listen to your physician.

I have suffered through many performance delaying injuries and usually found myself better for the break. Bad pun.

Heal well.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .
#735260 05/14/06 02:22 PM
Phil, Id probably buy a harmonica and learn to play it (or at least try to) if I was in your situation. It can become useful one in some songs one day. Half of my left hand fingertips have been more or less numb for a couple of weeks now, and I know where that can lead, (been ther with my right hand) so I might pick up a harmonica myself soon. Be well, ya Knight! PS. Playing sports is dangerous but in football you might get injured just as well at the public stands \:\(

What ever...
#735261 05/14/06 05:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member
Phil, that's terrible news but I'm sure you'll be able to make it to LA in July. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you - the fingers on my other hand are already crossed for Wayne Rooney!

Now there
#735262 05/14/06 06:10 PM
R
Gold Member
Gold Member
R
UTS-D: "Do what your doctor/therapist says. Drink tons of milk."

I don't recommend this, as milk has a lot of hormones and antibiotics. I do recommend a calcium supplement, but in the form of calcium carbonate. Tums or Rolaids, twice a day, until healed. And if you have a chronic calcium deficiency, which most people have, then I would suggest you take calcium supplements for six months.

#735263 05/14/06 07:37 PM
Phil W Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
We only have organic milk (or at least most of the time since my son was born) so I drink plenty of it.

#735264 05/14/06 07:38 PM
Phil W Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Mind you, for all I know - that too may be high in hormones and antibiotics.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard