Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Some very interesting reading.

Below is the address of a site, sorry I don't know html to put link in, that I think many of you might find very interesting reading. Especially read the "about" page. www.xiph.org

Any thoughts or comments??

BTW, I'm in no way affiliated with site, I just truly thought it would be a good read for anyone interested which I assume lots of people here would be.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, very interesting. It is easy to forget that it has only been one generation which has had the benefit of recorded music for instance. I'm sure the first developers saw great benefit for all mankind in the invention. And this is true. I can hear historic recordings of artists no longer alive for instance. Unfortunately music has gotten to be such a commodity and has become so trivial that I mostly hear recordings of artists that I wish were no longer alive. I hope that the stranglehold which the "Music Industry" has on our folk art can be loosened even just a little. Maybe this will allow a few artists with vision and passion to escape into the public eye. The lawyers in Hollywood certainly should not be in control of our culture.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

I'm a big advocate for the "amateur artist."

The word "amateur" has its origins in the Latin word for "love." Also, the Greek ideal of the well-rounded person included a career, physical fitness and artistic expression.

I grieve deeply that our modern society, for the most part, tends to define a person strictly by their career, and even more loathsome, how much money they make at that career.

Personally, I can't remember the last time I was excited by a new band or artist put forth by the bean counters and lawyers running the major labels these days.

Labels used to have guys like John Hammond Sr. who could actually detect raw talent, sign the artist and develop them. Now days, most aspiring artists would be better advised to make a daily workout at the gym (and judicious plastic surgery) a higher priority than developing their chops or writing skills.

I dunno... I'd love to see peer-to-peer file sharing drive a stake right thru the heart (oops, that assumes they have one) of the major labels.

IMHO, this is perhaps the darkest time I can personally remember, eclipsing even the soul-less Fleetwood-Mac-clone and mindless disco laden late '70s and early '80s for producing music that is nothing more than banal soul-less cultural wallpaper.

Long-live the impassioned amateur!

Archived