Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#636824 - 05/11/04 12:26 AM I sure wish the Acoustic Control Corporation was still in business...
TrancedelicBlues Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida countryside west of GA...
\:\(

Okay, maybe I'm dating myself here, but the last time I was seriously interested in taking up the bass, I was in High School...

The Acoustic 370 solid state bass amp was THE amp that I lusted after back in those days... paired with its 18" folded-horn Acoustic model 371 cabinet...

(Jaco Pastorius used Acoustic 360s, I believe... Awesome sound... Simply awesome...)

Man, oh, man... Those amps haven't been manufactured in years... The company went belly-up about 2 decades ago...

If there is any modern equivalent, could somebody please tell me?? In my recent internet research it seems I have found that maybe some of the SWR stuff comes close?? But as far as I can tell, nothing else does...

I haven't heard anything in recent years that compares. I can still remember, back in the early 70s in Tallahassee Florida, the FSU student council used to sponsor these live outdoor concerts. Quite a few bass players had these things back then. Even outdoors, at a distance of maybe a quarter of a mile, an Acoustic 370 could still punch you in the gut. Clean and clear, not muddy at all...

That's the sound I want...

\:\(

Is that asking too much?

BP Island
#636825 - 05/11/04 12:40 AM Re: I sure wish the Acoustic Control Corporation was still in business...
Basshappi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Tucson,AZ
You can find them on eBay fairly often. There is also the Unofficial Acoustic Control Corp. Homepage you can even get in contact with Harvey Gerst (the head engineer and designer of many of the Acoustic line of bass amps)thorugh the messege board there.

Also use the "Search" feature on this page , there have been several threads about Acoustic amps. I think I even started one once.Several of our illusrious members own Acoustic amps. I still own an Acoustic 2x15 cabinet and am about to begin restoring it and putting it back in use.

Lastly, I believe that the Line6 Basspod has and Acoustic 360 setting that is reputed to be quite good. Team that with a powerful amp and you just might get what you're after.

Cheers

P.S. - I agree with you, they were great. I love them too!

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

#636826 - 05/11/04 02:15 AM Re: I sure wish the Acoustic Control Corporation was still in business...
jeremy c Offline
10k Club

Loc: Berkeley,CA,UNITED STATES
I wish they were still in business so the "lifetime warranty" card I have for my Acoustic 150b amp would be useful.

I have used this amp almost daily for the past thirty-four years. It's under the dining room table and it's used for practicing and lessons.

(It's not exactly a dining room table anymore...on top of it is a computer, a scanner, and a copy machine. The rest of the "dining room" has filing cabinets, a piano, eight bass cases and three guitar cases and a few bookshelves of music and computer books....we eat in the kitchen. Who needs a dining room?)

Jaco started on 360's and then went to 370's. And I saw Robbie Shakespeare using 2 370's once. An awesome sound.

Somewhere, someone has one for sale and you could probably get a great deal. Shipping would kill you, though.

#636827 - 05/11/04 10:46 AM Re: I sure wish the Acoustic Control Corporation was still in business...
getz out Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Beleive me, bass amplification has come leaps and bounds since those days.

Not to say there is anything wrong with vintage gear...

But the new stuff is lighter. It's cheaper. In general, it's more reliable. And it's also more flexible (more responsive means you can get vintage or new tones).

If you really want vintage flavor:

Ampeg's 8x10" cabinet

Pair it up with an SVT 300-watt head.

Or, try new vintage:

Bergantino's NV610

#636828 - 05/11/04 11:51 AM Re: I sure wish the Acoustic Control Corporation was still in business...
saxofunk Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Tulsa, OK.
As far as a revival of the brand, it has been done, to questionable success. I have only seen 2-way P.A. speakers in one store and a thin catalog of entry level mixers & P.A. gear.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but methinks Bass Player's 2001 or 2002 buyers guide had information that a new edition of the Acoustic 360 was being marketed again, perhaps by Samick... as far as I know that never really came into being.

#636829 - 05/11/04 01:15 PM Re: I sure wish the Acoustic Control Corporation was still in business...
wraub Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: ennui, az.
I actually own a 370, and it is the best amp I have played through. Despite the ridiculous weight (a solid state amp that weighs 60 lbs or so) I lovingly carried mine to some crazy gigs, toured the states, and always had tone and power to spare. Such a well built machine (thanks Harvey!)
When I came East, the amp stayed with the hopes of shipping it out here, but between the realities of apartment life and subway/cab gig commutes, it has yet to be.

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremyc:
...Shipping would kill you, though.
And there is that... (sigh)

Peace,

wraub

#636830 - 05/12/04 11:29 AM Re: I sure wish the Acoustic Control Corporation was still in business...
RalphM Offline

Loc: York, PA
I had a 370 and 1x18 cabinet back in the 1970's.

When I first started out, I asked the local bass guru what equipment I should get. This was 1972 mind you and he told me the Acoustic 370 rig and a Fender Precision. I still have the Fender Precision and it is stil one of the sweetest 'playing' 4 strings I own.

At one time, playing 'stadium' rock, I ran my Acoustic 370 with 2 cabinets. One set up on either side of the drummer. They were alternately, a 1x18 on each side, or a 1x18 and an SVT 8x10 or an SVT 8x10 on each side. Talk about big bottom! I loved it. They were great amps.

#636831 - 05/12/04 12:13 PM Re: I sure wish the Acoustic Control Corporation was still in business...
Dave DeVille Offline

Loc: DEEP in the heart of Texas
i had an Acoustic 360 head w/ the 18" folded horn cab. { loved the sound , hated the weight }. i used this rig for about six years and have yet to find another rig's sound to match it...
bought it used from a guy who had no idea what he had , for $300.00 .

i lived in an apartment , on the third floor , but it was a labor of love to bring this beast home after gigs ...

i also read about the "new" Acoustic . haven't heard anything else since then ...

http://www.thebobbassband.com

#636832 - 05/12/04 02:39 PM Re: I sure wish the Acoustic Control Corporation was still in business...
getz out Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Not Acoustic...

But somewhat throwback...

CLICK ME!

#636833 - 05/14/04 07:14 PM Re: I sure wish the Acoustic Control Corporation was still in business...
_Sweet Willie_ Offline
El Superfly Grande
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by getz76:
Not Acoustic...

But somewhat throwback...

CLICK ME!
OK, I played one of them thar all solid state Thunderfunk TFB420 bass amps today at Minstrel Music in Niles, IL. I played it thru Ampeg cabs (1x15 and 2x10). I used an Ibanez 4-string SoundGear w/ vol-p'up blend-stacked bass/treble boost/cut (didn't look closely at the model number).

Lots of tone shaping available. An "enhance" control similar to the SWR and Eden "aural enhancer" and "enhance" controls. A cool "timbre" control: I don't quite know how to describe what it did, but it was a bit like a passive tone control going from darker to brighter, but sounded more complex than that. There are shelving bass and treble EQ knobs and 4 bands of semi-parametric fun. Possible to get warmth, sizzle, snap, thump, and more from this baby.

Definitely plenty loud to my ears (rated at 400W RMS into 4 ohms), and a nice-sized 2U package @ about 15 lbs.

Overall, a nice amp. The tonal flexibility is a little daunting for me, since I'm pretty happy w/ a 3- or 4-band EQ with one or two semi-parametric mid-bands. I would like to try it again w/ one of my own basses before passing final judgment. Not sure when I'll be able to do that. However, Dave Funk definitely has his act together, and my initial impression is certainly favorable!

Peace.
--SW

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.
Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

#636834 - 05/16/04 06:45 PM Re: I sure wish the Acoustic Control Corporation was still in business...
Tom Capasso Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wantagh ,NY,UNITED STATES
I had an Acoustic 136, and my cousin used a 150 for his guitar. Solid, well-made, great sounding stuff. As Getz said, there has been a revolution in equipment engineering and manufacturing. One thing is that you have a wider variety of quality levels and prices to choose from.

And while we're being nostalgic, these things were pretty solid. Some friends used to let them fall down into the basement if the gig went really late, and they were fine... I bought a used 2x12 from the early 70s about 14 years ago. It's all bottom, but it has such a rich sound.

Tom

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

#636835 - 05/17/04 01:34 AM Re: I sure wish the Acoustic Control Corporation was still in business...
Sean Eldon Offline

Loc: Long Island
Ah, the Kustom Couches. I've got some great memories of those things.

#636836 - 05/17/04 01:58 AM Re: I sure wish the Acoustic Control Corporation was still in business...
Basshappi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Tucson,AZ
Quote:
Ah, the Kustom Couches. I've got some great memories of those things
Then you can buy a new one (Yes, NEW!) and relive those wonderful memories! \:D As a matter of fact Wednesday my wife and I were crusing the local music store and they had one of the sparkly red ones in stock, 400 watt head and 2x15 cab. She put foot down quite firmly against even the mere suggestion of aquiring it, darn!

Oh well, I guess she has a point, it wouldn't match a thing in the house.............anymore. \:D

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

#636837 - 05/17/04 03:59 AM Re: I sure wish the Acoustic Control Corporation was still in business...
Sean Eldon Offline

Loc: Long Island
Yeah they've got the "sparkly red one" (no other way to describe it) at the Guitar Center here on Long Island, too. I was really close to getting it, because it was the one day of the year that they offered 18-months-no-payments-no-interest, but realized I'll have just as little money in 18 months.

#636838 - 05/18/04 10:31 PM Re: I sure wish the Acoustic Control Corporation was still in business...
Raven Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Middleburg,FL USA
I bought my Acoustic 320 head & 408 cabinet new in 1980, had the speakers reconed a few years ago, and I think its still one of the best rigs ever made...... they weigh even more in the road cases....(and people ask me why I got a bad back...)