Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#628446 - 03/21/04 08:26 PM take a walk on wild side
R.S.M Offline

Loc: mandeville,LA,UNITED STATES
I think its a paul simon song ."and the colored girls sing do do do do" is the bass both upright and electric.havent heard the song in years and it came on the radio and i think im hearing both anybody know?

BP Island
#628447 - 03/21/04 09:23 PM Re: take a walk on wild side
the.circular.motion.rub.it Offline

Loc: within my own mind
yea im pretty sure youre right, about the song having URB and electric bass guitar... but not paul simon, it is lou reed!

thanks allmusic.com>>>

Andy Warhol gave Lou Reed his first big break in 1966 when he adopted the Velvet Underground as the house band for his traveling multi-media assault upon the senses, "The Exploding Plastic Inevitable." Warhol came to Reed's rescue again six years later, though entirely without his active participation, while Reed was working up material for his second solo album, Transformer. Reed, who was then going through a period of writing conversational songs, started messing around with a chatty little tune about the fascinating eccentrics and self-styled "superstars" he met during his days at Warhol's factory, including drag queens Holly Woodlawn, Candy Darling, and Jackie Curtis, and hustler and wannabe actor Joe Dallesandro. Reed called the results "Walk on the Wild Side." The song's tales of sexual ambiguity and druggy decadence would hardly seem to be hit single material on the surface, but Reed infused the lyrics with a sly wit that helped to sugarcoat the medicine, and the hooky "And the colored girls go" chorus was infectious enough to wear down nearly anyone's resistance. Wrapped up in a spare, jazzy arrangement (by co-producer Mick Ronson) built around Herbie Flowers' upright bass and Ronnie Ross's sax, "Walk on the Wild Side" sounded like nothing else on the radio in 1972, but that didn't stop it from becoming Reed's first hit single — and his only major U.S. hit to this day. On his 1978 live album Take No Prisoners, Reed led his audience through a marathon 18-minute version of the tune, in which he frequently stopped to talk about the many friends and acquaintances who helped inspire his greatest hit (as well as whatever else crossed his mind at the moment) — it's hardly an ideal version of the song, but anyone wanting a perspective on the story behind the song might want to give it listen at least once.
w00t

#628448 - 03/22/04 01:46 AM Re: take a walk on wild side
JPJ Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Louuuuuuuuuuuuuu! \:D

Blueberry Hill Blog

#628449 - 03/22/04 10:53 AM Re: take a walk on wild side
alexclaber Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Brighton, UK
Can I Kick It?

Alex

#628450 - 03/22/04 11:23 AM Re: take a walk on wild side
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Philadelphia,PA,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Can I Kick It?
Yes, you can.
--Sun Tzu

#628451 - 03/22/04 05:07 PM Re: take a walk on wild side
bassplayer5217 Offline

Loc: Maryland
The bass part, vocals, and chord changes are in a book called The Rock Bass Bible. I will scan it and post it online if you guys would like. If my memory serves me correctly, then it is play on a fretted electric. Might not be due to all the slides, but I don't recall any special instrumentation keys.

peaceOUT,

Germain

#628452 - 03/22/04 05:17 PM Re: take a walk on wild side
_Sweet Willie_ Offline
El Superfly Grande
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by CMDN:
Quote:
Can I Kick It?
Yes, you can.
Well, I'm gone.

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.
Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

#628453 - 03/22/04 08:43 PM Re: take a walk on wild side
tarsia Offline

Loc: Cottonwood,AZ,UNITED STATES
I came up with a little "Walk on the wild side"
tapping/sliding thing a few years back that I thought I'd share - not even sure if it's in the
correct key but here goes....
Tap left hand middle finger on 8th fret E string at the same time Tap right hand index finger on 9th fret G string - now at the same time slide the left hand finger down to the 1st fret and the right hand finger up to the 14th fret, then slide back up & down to where you started - repeat .
It gets a cool sliding down to the low note while sliding up to the high note (contrapuntal ?).
I'm not good at explaining these things well, but thought this a cool little ditty.
this would make it C with a maj. 10th to
F with a maj. 10th octave up.
Sorry for my lack of schooling, but check it out !

edited to show Cmaj 10th to F maj 10th 8va

: )

#628454 - 03/22/04 08:54 PM Re: take a walk on wild side
silver32012 Offline

Loc: Regina
I think the bass line in that song is played by an upright bass and doubled by a fretted electric. Has anyone else heard of the same thing?

#628455 - 03/22/04 09:00 PM Re: take a walk on wild side
jeremy c Offline
10k Club

Loc: Berkeley,CA,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by silver32012:
I think the bass line in that song is played by an upright bass and doubled by a fretted electric. Has anyone else heard of the same thing?
yes.

#628456 - 03/23/04 01:17 PM Re: take a walk on wild side
alexclaber Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Brighton, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by silver32012:
There are two bass lines, one on upright, one on electric. One slides up whilst the other slides down and vice versa. One of Herbie Flowers' greatest moments - should he have got a writing credit?

Alex

#628457 - 03/23/04 08:55 PM Re: take a walk on wild side
tarsia Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by C.Alexander Claber:
[?[/qb]
There are two bass lines, one on upright, one on electric. One slides up whilst the other slides down and vice versa. One of Herbie Flowers' greatest moments - should he have got a writing credit?

Alex[/QB][/QUOTE]

Yeah, kinda like what I was trying to say
(& share a little riff) a few posts earlier - not sure if the low note slides up or vice versa, but it's just one way to simulate this part.......

#628458 - 03/23/04 11:55 PM Re: take a walk on wild side
Mike F. Offline

Loc: Prairieville,LA,UNITED STATES
Just my .02 cents.
The entire transformer album is worth listening too.
In particular A perfect day or Make Up

You've also got to love the Rock N Roll Animal Album.

For such a seemingly quiet individual to be considered an animal is what gets me I suppose.

BTW David Bowie was the producer on Transformer.

Double
Double

#628459 - 03/24/04 11:54 PM Re: take a walk on wild side
Fred the bass player Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Jersey (where Edison start...
There is a live version (one of two great albums, the first being "Rock and Roll Animal") of Lou Reed's classic played by a gent named "Prakash John". So there is a single-bass version that works.

I can't remember which of the two live albums the song is on, but BOTH albums have awesome energy, riffing-aplenty and improv-akimbo worth remembering. Ahh, get 'em both!

I really appreciate the notes on playing the song with tapping, I'll try that out somewhere in the next 72 hours.

“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it." -Lou Holtz

Where will Slap Pappy appear next? Visit Hot Time Harv and see.

#628460 - 03/25/04 01:06 AM Re: take a walk on wild side
Tedster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Lou Reed

#628461 - 03/25/04 01:14 AM Re: take a walk on wild side
tarsia Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

"I really appreciate the notes on playing the song with tapping, I'll try that out somewhere in the next 72 hours."

Thanx Fred, nice that someone noticed !
since I post rarely, maybe I'd get more response if I post more like this:

I BOUGHT THIS BLACK BASS AND IT DON'T HAVE NO PICKGARD - CAN I STILL USE A PICK ?