Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#619327 - 02/07/04 09:25 AM need help with Ibanez basses
martOUT Offline

hi anybody, can you tell me what's the difference between Ibanez SDGR and SR bass_series please? and experience with this stuff and gsr200 model. thanx a lot

BP Island
#619328 - 02/07/04 10:16 AM Re: need help with Ibanez basses
Fred the bass player Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Jersey (where Edison start...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Soundgear, SR and SDGR were all the same; "Soundgear" being the full name Ibanez gives to the series, "SR" being the prefix code for the model number, and "SDGR" what they print on the headstock.

ôLife is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it." -Lou Holtz

Where will Slap Pappy appear next? Visit Hot Time Harv and see.

#619329 - 02/07/04 10:53 AM Re: need help with Ibanez basses
zzzzz Offline

Loc: Johnstown,PA,UNITED STATES
I think Fred is right about SDGR and SR being the same.I owned a SR400 for a few years and it was a decent bass for the price.It had a good basic tone and fairly flexible electronics.The only problem I had with it was with the imput jack which I had to replace.

#619330 - 02/07/04 02:46 PM Re: need help with Ibanez basses
g. Offline
10k Club

Yeah, that stupid inline jack has been a weak spot on every piece of equipment it's ever been used in. I've seen it on speaker cabs too.

#619331 - 02/07/04 07:59 PM Re: need help with Ibanez basses
PickPunk Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Knowlton Quebec, Canada
soundgear is the series name, SR is the model number prefix, SDGR is the abbreviaton that they throw on the headstock. They are all part of the same series. They usually say sr instead of soundgear on the ibanez site, probably for easier typing.

As for experience, i have an SR300DX that i got last year.Apparently the knobs are really fragile because i overturned the bridge pickup volume knob and it loosened and now the ground wiring is all messed up and the pickup doesn't work. Other than that, awesome tone, great playability, low price.

#619332 - 02/07/04 09:08 PM Re: need help with Ibanez basses
Belazaras Offline

Loc: ARGENTINA
Plus, SR are all active. GSR are passive.
GSR made in Korea, SR made in korea too, with more quality, Japanese models start in SR800/SR885.
GSR are toys, SR300 are a very, very good start bass. SR400 it's a semiprofessional instrument. SR885 its a beast. But, all of these Ibanez don't have too much lowend, they tend to be trebly. They have the best confortable neck.
Don't trust in the EDC/EDB series, the SR400 are much better than those high pized ones.
BTB it's another history.

#619333 - 02/07/04 09:21 PM Re: need help with Ibanez basses
g. Offline
10k Club

I'm not so sure of that SR history either. I'm foggy though on some such details of my years in the music stores, but I think the SR line shifted several times.

Also, the comment of "don't have too much lowend, they tend to be trebly" ... SO NOT TRUE of my SR506 (should find out what year it is - not that I care really but it would aid me in such discussion). This six-string really has a lot of meat with its glass.

Actually I thought it was a little too much midbass/lower mids when I first got it and I wondered if it was because of the fat humbucker pickup appearance. But they also had more real top and transients definition than standard buckers so I looked inside: turned out to be P-bass-style narrow aperture humbucking in a fat case.

A little height adjustment and a change of strings and gauges and it was speaking more like my fretless five wonderbass, which made it nicer for swapping around.

#619334 - 02/08/04 03:33 AM Re: need help with Ibanez basses
Belazaras Offline

Loc: ARGENTINA
Finally, I change my SR800 and SR885 for a 78 Precision. I'm a new (38 years old) guy.Now I have the LOWEND. If you want a P go for a P, if you want a J go for a J. If you look for a Stingray sound you can mimic it with a Sterling. with an Ibanez, you can put a pair of Bartos or EMG behind the strings.

#619335 - 02/08/04 01:42 PM Re: need help with Ibanez basses
Connie Z Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: New Orleans, Louisiana
Hi martOUT,

I have been playing a GSR200 for a few years now. I love the neck, the feel and the look.

I hate the electronics. So, I'd say it's a great bass for the price, but you'll need to plan on replacing the pickups and the pots. So depending on what you'll eventually pay for that work, you may want to just spend more on a better bass.

But, if money is the issue right now, it's a great starter bass, and then you can get the other work done later, which is what I am planning to do with mine.

Hope that helped. ... connie z

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

#619336 - 02/08/04 03:03 PM Re: need help with Ibanez basses
Mr. Phil Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dix Hills, on the Longest Isla...
I'm kinda one of the Ibanez "experts" here :rolleyes:

In a nutshell:

SR = SDGR = GSR

I'm 99% sure the GSR is just the bass model they use in the Package deals. I have the older one; GSR190. The GSR 200's difference is that it has a black laminate on the headstock which I personally don't like. They are all great basses. My GSR190 was one of the best basses I played (until I mutilated it )

#619337 - 02/08/04 03:08 PM Re: need help with Ibanez basses
Mr. Phil Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dix Hills, on the Longest Isla...
Quote:
Originally posted by belazaras:
Plus, SR are all active. GSR are passive.
GSR made in Korea, SR made in korea too, with more quality, Japanese models start in SR800/SR885.
GSR are toys, SR300 are a very, very good start bass. SR400 it's a semiprofessional instrument. SR885 its a beast. But, all of these Ibanez don't have too much lowend, they tend to be trebly. They have the best confortable neck.
Don't trust in the EDC/EDB series, the SR400 are much better than those high pized ones.
BTB it's another history.
Yea...not totally true. Not all SRs are active... And GSRs are NOT toys. They are a hell of a lot better than most squiers or other cheap basses.

SR3000 series is the best of the of the line.
SR300 series is the bottom. But still good.
GSR series - like the SR300 series, but with crappy electronics.

#619338 - 02/08/04 03:35 PM Re: need help with Ibanez basses
PickPunk Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Knowlton Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Mr. Phil: Not all SRs are active...
Actually, as i recall every member of the current SR series has at least an active onboard preamp so yes they are all active.

I agree with phil's description of the gsr's, sr300 with worse electronics (probably why they're so cheap). I think that gsr means something else than just soundgear though...i think they used to be called gio soundgears but i'm not sure on that. Anyone else?

#619339 - 02/08/04 04:16 PM Re: need help with Ibanez basses
g. Offline
10k Club

This quickly becomes as tedious as Fender geneology since MIM, MIJ and Squire came around...

When it comes to discerning quality it's really about the particular bass anyway.

#619340 - 02/09/04 11:45 AM Re: need help with Ibanez basses
MattC Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Detroit, MI
The Ibanez active/passive debate: the majority of those SR basses (as far as I know, including mine) are passive pickups with active electronics.

Some Ibanez basses are better than others; get a good one and it will be the best thing since sliced bread but if you happen to choose the wrong one, there may be problems with the electronics or sound. I still love mine (SR405) though...

#619341 - 02/10/04 07:40 PM Re: need help with Ibanez basses
NUTT Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Houston
Quote:
Originally posted by PickPunk:
i think they used to be called gio soundgears but i'm not sure on that. Anyone else?[/QB]
I know that the less expensive Ibanez guitars are tagged with the GIO model numbers. They aren't *too* bad. I have an '81 Ibanez Roadster that I am absolutely in love with. That is one exciting hunk of wood. P/J configuration, heavy as a mofo, rock solid neck, huge bridge, and great big ol tuners. I've got her strung BEAD and use her to play half a dozen different songs. Its a reall monster.

All for $175 at my local shop!!!!

MySpace | A Few Miles West | EyeLevel