Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The CIvil War. Ken Burns

PBS is re-airing this landmark film by Ken Burns. After all of the venom spit upon this subject in a couple of threads recently I thought it might be a good idea for some of us to check this out, and maybe get a history lesson. Or, some new things to disagree upon. Anyway, just a reminder.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I absolutely loved this series. I've watched it several times and taped it to. I disagreed with some of the conclusions on the aforementioned thread but I stayed out of it. I try to only expound on those things I feel I know well enough to have a justified opinion. I've only read a couple of books, seen the series and spoken about the war with a couple of friends who are historians, one published a book on the civil war and Gettysburg in particular. But I can't quote line and verse of anything. Call it what you will, slavery was the issue of the war. It wasn't called that and blinders were on. States rights. The fact was no one had the guts to stand by the constitution. Of course blacks were considered something less than human at that point. Jefferson didn't have the guts to face it and knew it. He thought the next generation would handle it; the generation of Merriweather Lewis. But no. It took the civil war to make us face the abomination. Yet and still we called it something else: economics and states rights. No. It was the humanity folded and hidden in the billows of those flags. Only after the Battle of Antietam did Lincoln have the guts to turn the purpose of the war towards slavery. It wouldn't sell before that. I'm not saying that there was a single purpose or reason for the war. But to say it had nothing to do with slavery I just take issue with. Historians of importance disagree over this matter. There is no blanket generality nor easy, succinct conclusion that can be drawn. The war happened and it was a neccessary evil. You can't found the greatest country in the world on premises based on lies without dire and extreme consequences.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Most of the venom was about the Middle East. Much of it could have been avoided if people bothered to read a newspaper and had learned those lessons of politeness that their parents had probably taught them! :)

I particularly liked CSPAN's interview with Ken Burns this weekend where he drew the distinctions between the Revolutionary War, where all the states were nations unto themselves and the "Civil War" changed that to the collective "is". I've got the whole series on tape, and as a southerner, I never tire of it. I recommend the series to anyone who locked into the victors revisionist perspectives. :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

At least once a week our local classical station plays the theme music from the series. I'm referring to the sombre fiddle piece that some people think is from the time of the Civil War because it fits in so well (but was written for the series I believe) As for the documentary work itself, it's the best use of narrating personal letters that I have ever experienced. Others use the technique but never so convincingly. It could be anyone from either side writing home.
It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]Most of the venom was about the Middle East. Much of it could have been avoided if people bothered to read a newspaper and had learned those lessons of politeness that their parents had probably taught them! :) [/b][/quote]I was referring to the racism and historical revision,(real and imagined) in the "Did black people invent music" thread.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Archived