Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#512598 - 04/21/04 05:46 PM From top to bottom.... New studio and advise is needed
Thomas Griffin Offline

Hi all,

I'm in the process of putting together a new Studio. I'll be upgrading just about everything. It will 2 studios in the same building. One for tracking and Mixing. The other a mastering suite.

The tracking and mixing:

It will be center around SX or Nuendo. I've used both and just need to upgrade to SX and am comfortable with them. I'll need to track up to 24 tracks at once and mix down up to 56.. So I/O's are a must.

I'll be needing to upgrade the computer. I need dual monitors and card for this. I was thinking of Dual processors too. A UAD1 and a Powercore. On the Hard Drive, I have an 80 GIG IDE 7,200 rpm already, but have seen firewire external hard drives that look nice.

I'm not sure which way to go with the DESK. Digital or Analog with Controller for SX or Nuendo. Wouldit be best to allow SX to handle automation and sum it via the analog desk. Then there is the question of what desk.

Then there is the link up from the computer and the desk and desk to the computer and computer to the pre's and pre's to the desk.... \:\) How and what's the best method for proper monitoring and what equipment.

I know pre's and compressor's and mics...so there is no problem there.

Monitors... Looking at 3. ADAM, Genelec, and Dynaudio(air series). Opinions??

Next room is for mastering. Again, Analog mixer?computer? looks like ADAM monitors. Looking at a nice tube EQ.... Anything else?

I know i'm asking a lot from you guys, but I would rather not leave this to the sales guy. I'm looking for professional opinions for those who use these everyday.

Thanks all

#512599 - 04/21/04 05:52 PM Re: From top to bottom.... New studio and advise is needed
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Loc: NY Hudson Valley, USA
What is your total budget?

Money is a major factor.

Or is this more like a "dream studio" kinda' thing...where the sky is the limit? \:D

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

#512600 - 04/21/04 06:11 PM Re: From top to bottom.... New studio and advise is needed
Thomas Griffin Offline

Everybody is on a budget... LOL

I almost forgot to list what I had too.

I have a Topaz by soundtrac... ADATs, BRC...Lexi pcm80..

Now back to what you asked. I'm not on a budget, but I've not gone off the deep end either.

I'm guessing that the desk is going to be the bulk. OR the pre's. Got to have a great signal.

#512601 - 04/21/04 06:31 PM Re: From top to bottom.... New studio and advise is needed
Thomas Griffin Offline

When I say no budget, I've notplaceda cap onit...

#512602 - 04/21/04 06:34 PM Re: From top to bottom.... New studio and advise is needed
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Who is the mastering engineer?

Bill

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

#512603 - 04/21/04 06:43 PM Re: From top to bottom.... New studio and advise is needed
Thomas Griffin Offline

LOL... Not me. We'll hire someone.

#512604 - 04/21/04 07:40 PM Re: From top to bottom.... New studio and advise is needed
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Griffin:
LOL... Not me. We'll hire someone.
The point is, if you are going to really -build- a mastering room, if you are not going to get an acoustician who designs studios for a living to design it, at least get a mastering engineer to pick the gear. It is a different discipline.

Bill

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

#512605 - 04/22/04 02:15 AM Re: From top to bottom.... New studio and advise is needed
blackbox Offline

Loc: Memphis TN
damn.......
have you done any of your own homework?
my answer to all the above would be use what works best for you in your experience. BTW, a store salesman is not going to know more about recording equipment than a recording engineer, so don't worry about that.