Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#512118 - 04/13/04 10:46 AM Pro Tools Sound?
Jo Martins Offline

Loc: Madeira Is, Portugal
Hi Everybody!
Please, could anybody tell me if Pro Tools Software have a particular "sound" compared to other sequencer/audio recorders?
Yes, I know that the hardware is responsible for the in/out sound, but I just wonder if Pro Tools have a different, prefered sound over the other software.
I'm using Logic 5.5.1 with Digi001. I don't like Pro Tools so much, but if this improves the sound I'll switch. Right now, I don't hear any difference by myself (monitoring thru Mackie 824 and Yamaha NS10)
I always hear my productions thin sounding compared with other productions even knowing that many others do with very modest equipment.
My equipment: Panasonic DA7 mixer, dedicated PC 2.4 for Gigastudio with Delta 1010 Card, Dedicated PC with V-Stack, for VSTi's with Echo Gina24. Main Recording Pc PIV 2.4 with 1Gig Ram, Digidesign Digi001, Logic 5.51 , Waves plug-ins for processing and mastering
No phase problems. Maybe I'm paranoic but I don't know what else to try... I still hear my music "lacking" a deep, big sound. May be I'm so accustomed to the Studer/MCI combination studio I worked before... Is there any not so expensive solution for that big sound of analog?
Thank's in advance for your comments and help!
Best Regards
Jose Pereira

#512119 - 04/13/04 11:19 AM Re: Pro Tools Sound?
Dave Bechtel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I've heard some pretty amazing recordings on gear more humble than that which you have. As far as "is Pro Tools good?" I would reccomend doing a bit of a search on this topic on these forums. It's been covered quite a bit a you'll find everything from personal preferences to in depth technical jargon. The bottom line is though...very good records have and are being made with Pro Tools ( and Nuendo and Logic and Radar and 2" Tape and....)

BTW: I'm not the "crossing guard/hall monitor" or anything but...you may not need to post this question on every board to get a timely responce. Just a thought \:\)

#512120 - 04/13/04 11:26 AM Re: Pro Tools Sound?
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Lynn Fuston at 3daudioinc.com has done a test between PT and a Neve. He has also done a DAW summing test. I beleive that both are available on CD at his site. For a nominal charge you can compare 20 of your favorite DAWS and 10 analog combos in a blind listening test. See if you can hear a difference, anfd what that difference is, before you even know which system is which.

Well worth the cost, IMHO, for anyone considering spending a couple of $k on a system.

(You don't have to post the same post across multiple sections within the same forum. Anyone interested in recording is going to read them all.)

Bill

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

#512121 - 04/13/04 11:45 AM Re: Pro Tools Sound?
Jo Martins Offline

Loc: Madeira Is, Portugal
Gee!!!
Sorry Dave and Bill for the repetitive post!, but, I trying to compile all opinions possible from different backgrounds, if you know what I mean.
I have recorded several productions from my own and some other people, which sound OK, but for me, it still needs a lot to be compared with great productions. My skills as arranger and musician have saved my butt until now, but no so shure about my skills as audio technician.
I want to know if it si possible to do it well with my equipment. I have Pro Tools Software. I don't have any money to spend in my studio right now.
Thanks again and excuse me for the repeated posts!
Keep commenting
Regards Jose Pereira
PD: Also, forgive my poor english too...

#512122 - 04/13/04 03:02 PM Re: Pro Tools Sound?
Loco Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Miami Beach,FL,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by Jose Pereira:
Hi Everybody!
Please, could anybody tell me if Pro Tools Software have a particular "sound" compared to other sequencer/audio recorders?
That's a can of worms with known names. I would say 2 days before Tron jumps in....

Quote:
I'm using Logic 5.5.1 with Digi001. I don't like Pro Tools so much, but if this improves the sound I'll switch. Right now, I don't hear any difference by myself (monitoring thru Mackie 824 and Yamaha NS10)
You've answered it yourself. You don't like ProTools, you like Logic. Stick with Logic and work on your skills on the DAW.

Quote:
I always hear my productions thin sounding compared with other productions even knowing that many others do with very modest equipment.
No phase problems. Maybe I'm paranoic but I don't know what else to try... I still hear my music "lacking" a deep, big sound. May be I'm so accustomed to the Studer/MCI combination studio I worked before... Is there any not so expensive solution for that big sound of analog?
A MOTU or M-Audio interface will give you more options and quality to Logic than the 001 for a fair price. Getting some great quality plugins (EQs, Compressors, Multiband compressors...) for your DAW will help as well. Your speakers are fine. Is your room properly tuned? Check out Ethan's forum.

Studer/MCI... that's the beauty of analog. You plug it and works right away. On the DAW you have to try a little bit harder, but you can get farther.

#512123 - 04/14/04 12:01 AM Re: Pro Tools Sound?
koolkid Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: NY METRO
I would think that if you set up protools and logic and sonar side by side and recorded the same session with the same hardware,the recordings would be identical,but i might be wrong...i think that more specifically answers the question you had in mind..because all the software does is act as a playback for whats recorded on the soundcard

#512124 - 04/15/04 09:00 AM Re: Pro Tools Sound?
EXAGON Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Switzerland
Pro tools has not a sound, instead it steals the sound you put in it. The PT's software engine is a garbage

Addresse:
UIPLPPICDSS
Ufficio Internazionale Per La Presa Per Il Culo Dei Sbruffoni Statunitensi
Att. Tua Sorella
Codice Mavapigliatelindomo
Pirla Chi Legge

#512125 - 04/16/04 05:28 AM Re: Pro Tools Sound?
Wolfgang Eller Offline

Loc: Erlangen,,GERMANY
Hey Troll, what a surprise.

So Henchi isnīt far away.

Cheers Wolfgang

#512126 - 04/16/04 05:55 AM Re: Pro Tools Sound?
Allan Speers Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Suffern,NY,UNITED STATES
Jose,

exagon's brain is garbage. Ignore him.

as for the sound, no, there is no difference that matters. The sound of the converters is a huge factor, but that pales compared to the difference in mics and outboard gear.

-and THAT pales in comparison to the chops of the engineer.

-and THAT pales in comparison to the talent of the band and the quality of the songs.

So:

Don' worry 'boudit, mon.

#512127 - 04/21/04 12:18 AM Re: Pro Tools Sound?
EXAGON Offline
Platinum Member

Those threads are created by people, very rewarded in the DUC (probably Digi staff) which want to go on every audio forum asking things about PT and so making FREE advertising

Addresse:
UIPLPPICDSS
Att. Tua Sorella
Pirla Chi Legge

#512128 - 04/21/04 12:19 AM Re: Pro Tools Sound?
EXAGON Offline
Platinum Member

Those threads are created by people, very rewarded in the DUC (probably Digi staff) which want to go on every audio forum asking things about PT and so making FREE advertising

Addresse:
UIPLPPICDSS
Att. Tua Sorella
Pirla Chi Legge