Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#512078 - 04/15/04 08:54 AM Re: Vocal Mic - HIgh end contenders?
3D Audio Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Spring Hill, TN, US
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy H:
Wow, Lynn.....Thanks for that whack in the face..... \:\(

I'll try not to offend you next time I post.
Thanks to all who have offered me any advice from which I can make a "leap of faith" decision, good or bad.

Peace.
My comment was meant as a compliment.

No offense taken. I was joking.

All I meant was that you've had such phenomenal success with such meager gear that you must realize that it's about more than the gear. Usually the opposite is true. I had another very successful producer call me last month and the whole time I was thinking "You're asking me?"

I'm glad you're at a place where you can expand your collection. The 800G is a great mic that works on many things but won't work on everything. Sometimes its too fast and too transparent.

My suggestion. Get a pair of SDCs like 451, 4041, KM84, SM81. Get another contrasting LDC like the E47. Get an R84 or an R-122. And grab 3 or 4 SM-57s. That should give you lots of options.

#512079 - 04/15/04 09:35 AM Re: Vocal Mic - HIgh end contenders?
3D Audio Offline
Platinum Member

I also might humbly suggest that the 3D Mic CD would be a very worthwhile investment in helping you narrow down your choices. There are 49 mics on two vocalists that you can audition in less than 2 hours. Before spending thousands on mics, it might be the best $40 investment you could make.

For more info, click here.

#512080 - 04/16/04 08:56 PM Re: Vocal Mic - HIgh end contenders?
Ollie Offline

Loc: Chi-town
Gtoledo3,

I know the C37A is a quality mic and the one I own is in very good condition. I have only found a couple of apps where I am using it more than my other mics. I like it on Electric guitar and it has worked well on snare.

This is a pretty neutral sounding mic. What sources do you love this mic on. Thanks for your input.

Thanks

Ollie

#512081 - 04/16/04 11:12 PM Re: Vocal Mic - HIgh end contenders?
Green Latern Offline

Depending on what flavor you want as well. I like the U87i, however I prefer the Blue Kiwi which is similar in being big, full and sweet sounding, but to my ears these hand made Kiwi's beat out the U87i. Also if you have a TLM 103, that mic sounds just like the U87i with the exception of the 87 having better top end.

#512082 - 04/18/04 01:08 AM Re: Vocal Mic - HIgh end contenders?
dave-G Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Florida
Just to continue the tangent and chime in on the Didrik DeGeer microphones... I've posted a few times about them over on Gearslutz. I try to rent them often. Really stunning... And mildly surprising, as IIRC, they're built around a modified C12VR capsule, which itself is a mic I've disliked when I tried it.

Regardless... these things are really special, and seem to carry all of the best traits of all my favorite "vintage" mics, but somehow clearer and prettier. ... I love 'em.

If I had 20k to spend on a pair, I would get a pair. In the meantime.. I remain a grateful patron of Stephen Jarvis Audio Consulting (rentals).
[img]http://gearslutz.com/board/attachment.php3?s=&postid=49464[/img]

-dave

#512083 - 04/18/04 08:50 PM Re: Vocal Mic - HIgh end contenders?
gm Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Williamson County, TN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G:
Just to continue the tangent and chime in on the Didrik DeGeer microphones... I've posted a few times about them over on Gearslutz. I try to rent them often. Really stunning... And mildly surprising, as IIRC, they're built around a modified C12VR capsule, which itself is a mic I've disliked when I tried it.

Regardless... these things are really special, and seem to carry all of the best traits of all my favorite "vintage" mics, but somehow clearer and prettier. ... I love 'em.

If I had 20k to spend on a pair, I would get a pair. In the meantime.. I remain a grateful patron of Stephen Jarvis Audio Consulting (rentals).

-dave
I agree that the Didrik's are stunning mics, and if you like "clean" (and many people don't, or say that do, but really don't) can work on many vocalists. They are probably going to lose a couple of shoot-outs no matter how "good" they sound.

George

http://www.massenburg.com

#512084 - 04/18/04 09:57 PM Re: Vocal Mic - HIgh end contenders?
3D Audio Offline
Platinum Member

Am I alone in thinking they're ugly? Sorry to be so shallow, but puh-lease. For that kind of money, at least chrome plate the copper so it doesn't fingerprint or turn green.

#512085 - 04/18/04 10:38 PM Re: Vocal Mic - HIgh end contenders?
Loco Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Miami Beach,FL,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by 3D Audio:
Am I alone in thinking they're ugly? Sorry to be so shallow, but puh-lease. For that kind of money, at least chrome plate the copper so it doesn't fingerprint or turn green.
That makes them very special... seem like taken from an episode of Junkyard Wars. I would go for an American Chopper look.

#512086 - 04/19/04 12:03 AM Re: Vocal Mic - HIgh end contenders?
Philip O'Keefe Offline
10k Club

Loc: Riverside,CA,UNITED STATES
I've never used one - heck, until now, I've never even heard OF them... but I do have a question:

TWO cables? Anyone know why?

I'm assuming they're tube mics. If that is the case, is one for the tube / power supply interfacing and the other one a mic level output? Or is it something else?
http://www.ssrstudio.com
http://www.philokeefe.com
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com
My New Forum on Harmony-Central

#512087 - 04/19/04 01:09 AM Re: Vocal Mic - HIgh end contenders?
djwayne Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northeastern Ohio
I've seen a similar mic like this once, and yes one cable was for signal, the other for power. The mic I saw also had it's own power supply. I didn't catch the name of it, but it was very old, very heavy duty, very large, and the studio owner placed it's value around $30,000. He had it mounted on an very old, but huge, super heavy duty, tri-pod mic stand, with a huge boom. I made sure I didn't touch the mic, or get too close to it, as the rule was, "you break it, you bought it".

These particular ones though, look like custom made or homemade jobbers, out of a machine shop in India. Not even a shock mount...hmmmm...They would make a fun "Heathkit" / DIY type project though.

#512088 - 04/19/04 02:38 AM Re: Vocal Mic - HIgh end contenders?
dave-G Offline
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

I'm assuming they're tube mics. If that is the case, is one for the tube / power supply interfacing and the other one a mic level output? Or is it something else?
You are correct. The second one is the XLR output.

As for the appearance.. It's subjective for sure, but I love 'em ... I like the old copper boat-lantern look,and the patina that develops. I also think my picture doesn't do them justice.

-dave

#512089 - 04/19/04 03:22 AM Re: Vocal Mic - HIgh end contenders?
popstar Offline
Gold Member

Quote:
I've never used one - heck, until now, I've never even heard OF them... but I do have a question:

Philip,

I don't believe that the second cable is for power. No, this is one of the new hybrid microphones. It uses one audio cable which routes to the mic pre. The other cable connects directly to AutoTune.

ps

#512090 - 04/19/04 03:41 AM Re: Vocal Mic - HIgh end contenders?
3D Audio Offline
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:

You are correct. The second one is the XLR output.
The Manley Gold is the same way.

#512091 - 04/20/04 02:57 PM Re: Vocal Mic - HIgh end contenders?
Tedly Nightshade Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: applegate,OR,UNITED STATES
Quote:

-dave
You renting those in SF? I may have to try that sometime... sounds like a must-hear!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

#512092 - 04/20/04 03:08 PM Re: Vocal Mic - HIgh end contenders?
henryrobinett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Sacramento,CA,UNITED STATES
I got them two or three times from Stephan Jarvis. He's da man!!!!!! As I said earlier: the most phenomenal mics I've ever used, bar none!!

Henry Robinett

#512093 - 04/20/04 04:06 PM Re: Vocal Mic - HIgh end contenders?
dave-G Offline
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Nightshade:
You renting those in SF? I may have to try that sometime... sounds like a must-hear!
Yep, PM me for Stephen's contact info if you're interested in getting in touch with him for a rental.

... and I agree with Henry.

-dave

#512094 - 04/20/04 04:56 PM Re: Vocal Mic - HIgh end contenders?
Philip O'Keefe Offline
10k Club

Loc: Riverside,CA,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by popstar:
Quote:

Philip,

I don't believe that the second cable is for power. No, this is one of the new hybrid microphones. It uses one audio cable which routes to the mic pre. The other cable connects directly to AutoTune.

ps
\:D
http://www.ssrstudio.com
http://www.philokeefe.com
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com
My New Forum on Harmony-Central

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2