Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#512005 - 04/10/04 02:57 PM Emes Black tv HR monitors
Greg Lawrence Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Has anyone used these monitors yet. I listened to a pair of them the other day and was impressed. I am going to schedule a demo of them in a real control room and try to mix a song and see how it translated.

I was just wondering if anyone here had an opinions on them.

-Greg

#512006 - 04/10/04 08:02 PM Re: Emes Black tv HR monitors
Bruce P. Offline

Loc: Longmont, Colorado, USA
I was looking at Emes Blacks or the Pinks but got Mackie 626's because of budgetary concerns. I may still get them sometime - they're supposed to be great.

Go to Sound On Sound forums and look up the thread ' EMES, what's the deal here? '. The guy who started the thread, 'Zoesch', ended getting the Blacks and likes them above Genelecs.

#512007 - 04/11/04 03:51 AM Re: Emes Black tv HR monitors
Greg Lawrence Offline

Thanks! That was a great link...

#512008 - 04/19/04 12:05 PM Re: Emes Black tv HR monitors
Synthax Offline

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep03/articles/emesblack.htm

Here's a great review if you want to learn more...

All my best,

Tom Sailor
330-259-0308

http://www.synthax.com

#512009 - 04/19/04 02:22 PM Re: Emes Black tv HR monitors
Greg Lawrence Offline

Thanks for the link. I had found it earlier too and read it. Good review. Though I demo'ed the speakers at two different studios I work at frequently and wasn't nearly as impressed with them as I was at the store. Glad I got to demo them though before shelling $1500 for them.
They are interesting speakers. Not much in the high high end, kinda muffled sounding and the bass sounded very artificial, like you were hearing more from the front port than actually being reproduced by the speaker. Overall I thought they had a bit of a boxy sound and didn't warrant the $1500 price tag. Maybe they would be more balanced with that sub, but at another $1300 or so for the sub, its getting pricey!
Thanks for the help and links !! Looks like I am continuing my search for speakers....

#512010 - 04/19/04 02:23 PM Re: Emes Black tv HR monitors
Greg Lawrence Offline

Thanks for the link. I had found it earlier too and read it. Good review. Though I demo'ed the speakers at two different studios I work at frequently and wasn't nearly as impressed with them as I was at the store. Glad I got to demo them though before shelling $1500 for them.
They are interesting speakers. Not much in the high high end, kinda muffled sounding and the bass sounded very artificial, like you were hearing more from the front port than actually being reproduced by the speaker. Overall I thought they had a bit of a boxy sound and didn't warrant the $1500 price tag. Maybe they would be more balanced with that sub, but at another $1300 or so for the sub, its getting pricey!
Thanks for the help and links !! Looks like I am continuing my search for speakers....

#512011 - 04/20/04 11:55 PM Re: Emes Black tv HR monitors
Bardstown Audio Offline

Loc: Bardstown, Kentucky USA
The best audio monitors in the world will not sound very good if they are not setup and positioned properly in the right kind of listening environment.

EMES are great sounding monitors and are truly one of the best kept secrets in the pro audio industry, just as Samplitude and Sequoia are the best kept secrets for pro audio applications. EMES and MAGIX are prime examples of companies who have state of the art technology and products, and some of the very best developers in the business who have developed superior products. But on the other hand, there are many companies in the pro audio industry who have been very successful in promoting and selling a significant amount of very average products based on marketing hype.

Kip McGinnis
Bardstown Audio
http://www.bardstownaudio.com

#512012 - 04/21/04 04:05 AM Re: Emes Black tv HR monitors
Greg Lawrence Offline

I agree Kip but unfortunately, I was able to demo these speakers in one of the best control rooms around here and set them up as I would any other set I have set up in the past and well, they just didn't do it for me at all. Everything I remember liking about them in the "showroom" was gone in the studio.
Its unfortunate because I wanted to like them. There are a lot of things about them on paper that appeal to me but they just didn't work for me.

#512013 - 04/22/04 01:28 AM Re: Emes Black tv HR monitors
Synthax Offline

Hi Greg-

Did you adjust the dip switches in the back? EMES make VERY Linear sounding speakers that can be adjusted to your liking via the dip switches. Otherwise, they do sound very flat and they do not add any additional hype to your sound.

If you are looking for a more fuller body sound then maybe the Blues are your cup of tea. They have very wide range of models to appeal to all sorts of different styles...

Anyway...I don't want to beat a dead horse...thanks for giving them a shot!

All my best,

Tom Sailor

#512014 - 04/22/04 11:56 AM Re: Emes Black tv HR monitors
Bardstown Audio Offline

Loc: Bardstown, Kentucky USA
I purchased a pair of EMES Violets last month and find them to be much more transparent and precise than my Mackie HR824's and more pleasant to listen to. I definitely hear much more detail, stereo imaging, and detail of instrument placement in my mixes. When adding a very slight degree of effects (EQ, compression, and/or room simulation) to individual instrument tracks in a mix with the individual instrument tracks not soloed but while listening to the full mix, I hear the very slightest adjustments being made with these effects to these individual instrument tracks while listening to the full mix. I never experienced this kind of detail, definition, and stereo imaging with my HR824's. Most of my mixes lean more towards being acoustic instrument mixes using both live and sampled acoustic instruments with an occasional Rhodes and electric jazz guitar on some sessions.

I will also mention that I do have my EMES Violets set totally flat, which sounds best to my ears.

Kip McGinnis
Bardstown Audio
http://www.bardstownaudio.com