Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511407 03/29/04 03:57 AM
C
clear4foru Offline OP
OP Offline
C
We just seen "Crack the sky" on March 6th. in Baltimore MD. I have loved them since the 70's and always thought they were very well known, but I found out a few years ago they were only known localy. Does anyone here know them? They have put out around a dozen albums and the last one just came out. Some of my favorite are "From the greenhouse", "Saftey in numbers", "Ghost". A single that recieved limited airplay, "Rangers at midnight.
Dennis
http://www.clearstudio.com

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511408 03/29/04 06:59 AM
BP3 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Was Carey Ziegler playing bass?

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511409 03/29/04 07:41 AM
Uh Clem Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I have a handful of Crack The Sky albums - Animal Notes is great, Safety in Numbers too really great tunes on those albums.

My Fav though is EAT, Sell Me A God - a killer album - hard to find now.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital
http://www.bullmoondigital.com
Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511410 03/29/04 09:42 AM
M
mike-x Offline
M
Never heard of Crack the Sky here in England unfortunately. \:\(

A great band that didn't hit the big time were "It Bites". Awesome players and great songs. Just a case of the wrong band at the wrong time.

Cheers

Mike

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511411 03/29/04 10:27 AM
N
natpub Offline
N
Quote:
Never heard of Crack the Sky...
They were pretty well known, I thought.

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511412 03/29/04 11:21 AM
K
kaipiranha Offline
K
Mike,

It Bites have reunited (original line-up), and rumor has it they'll put out a new album before the end of the year.

Great band, I agree wholeheartedly.

Kai

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511413 03/29/04 11:31 AM
D
digibird Offline
D
Crack The Sky are excellent. A good greatest hits package is called "Crack Attic". Safety in Numbers and Animal Notes were also my favorites.

When I was 14 in 1975 other bands my friends and I really liked were Nektar, Triumvirat, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Al DiMeola, Jean Luc Ponty, Return To Forever, Jeff Beck and Trapeze.

I guess we were an odd lot.

For an excellent Funk/Rock band, I always thought Mother's Finest should have been huge...

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511414 03/29/04 07:30 PM
A
Alleecat_dup1 Offline
A
I saw Crack the Sky here in S.A. Tx, in 78' or 79' they were great. At one time i had their first 3 studio albums and a live album. A very tight band.I saw a photo of guitarist Rick Withkowski in Post magazine last year, he was working at a studio if I remember correctly.I would like to see their back catalog released on CD, that would be very cool!! Alleecat

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511415 03/29/04 09:08 PM
N
Nika Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
N
Quote:
Originally posted by digibird:
Crack The Sky are excellent. A good greatest hits package is called "Crack Attic". Safety in Numbers and Animal Notes were also my favorites.

When I was 14 in 1975 other bands my friends and I really liked were Nektar, Triumvirat, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Al DiMeola, Jean Luc Ponty, Return To Forever, Jeff Beck and Trapeze.
Ahh, you were probably also a fan of "Friday Night in San Francisco?"

Nika.

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511416 03/29/04 10:05 PM
Bill@Welcome Home Studios Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I was their original sound guy and I built their PA. I still see Rick, and a couple of nights ago I spent at Heinz Hall with B E Taylor. He was performing for a Mr Rogers special event held by the Pittsburgh Symphony. Rick was in the audience, but he left before the post-event reception because he had a session in the morning. JP moved away and releases something every now and again, Joe Macre moved south to work at a gospel network many years ago, Jim Griffiths I haven't seen or heard about in years. But the other guys are around.

The band was originally (and brefly) called Archangel, the Words. But Cashman and West thought that people would confuse them with Stories, so they changed the name. They moved to NYC, and I chose not to go... I took a job with Pacific Presentations instead.

After a while they ended up hooked up with Cellar Door in Baltimore. That was a bad scene.

There have been some recent compilations, "Crack Attic" I think is the latest. But the original albums and the authorised bootleg remain my favorites.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511417 03/29/04 11:39 PM
M
mchimes Offline
M
Dixie Dregs . . . of course it's hard for an instrumental act to make it big time I suppose.

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511418 03/30/04 12:46 AM
N
Nika Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
N
For the first 6 or 7 years I was listening to them I thought BareNaked Ladies would fall into this category. Fortunately someone discovered them that was more significant than I am.

Nika.

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511419 03/30/04 02:11 AM
C
clear4foru Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Quote:
Yes and John Palumbo, Rick Witkowski, John Tracey, Bobby Hird, Glenn Workman were also in the line up
http://www.crackthesky.com/

Quote:

For an excellent Funk/Rock band, I always thought Mother's Finest should have been huge
Nectar just toured in Europe last year and they are touring again this year and may even come to the US
http://www.nektarmusic.co.uk/introduction.htm

Quote:
I saw Crack the Sky here in S.A. Tx, in 78' or 79' they were great. At one time i had their first 3 studio albums and a live album. A very tight band.I saw a photo of guitarist Rick Withkowski in Post magazine last year, he was working at a studio if I remember correctly.I would like to see their back catalog released on CD, that would be very cool!! Alleecat
Try E-bay.
I seen them twice last year they still are tight. This year they did a little show before the concert at Record and tape traders and signed CD's Albums and t shirts. The Ghost CD from 2001 is realy cool.
Dennis

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511420 03/30/04 03:53 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
"John Palumbo, Rick Witkowski, John Tracey, Bobby Hird, Glenn Workman were also in the line up.."

There have been a lot of great musicians through the band over the years, but the original lineup was JP and Rick, Rick Griffiths, Joe Macre, and Joey Damico. One of the highlights from the old show was when Joey would come out from behind the drums, and sing "something's wrong on the moon, my friends..." When they did clubs, they would do things like "I Am The Walrus" with 2 guitars, bass, drums, and a Wurlitzer electric piano. Scary stuff.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511421 03/30/04 04:04 AM
Tedly Nightshade Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by clear4foru:
Quote:
Yes and John Palumbo, Rick Witkowski, John Tracey, Bobby Hird, Glenn Workman were also in the line up
http://www.crackthesky.com/

Quote:

For an excellent Funk/Rock band, I always thought Mother's Finest should have been huge
Nectar just toured in Europe last year and they are touring again this year and may even come to the US
http://www.nektarmusic.co.uk/introduction.htm

Don't know if it's out yet, but I heard a pre-release of a new Nektar (sp?) CD. Sounds very 80s- I guess they wanted to pick up right where they left off, or so I hear from the knowledgeable. Not my thing, but possibly of interest.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau
Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511422 03/30/04 05:15 AM
C
clear4foru Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Quote:
There have been a lot of great musicians through the band over the years, but the original lineup was JP and Rick, Rick Griffiths, Joe Macre, and Joey Damico. One of the highlights from the old show was when Joey would come out from behind the drums, and sing "something's wrong on the moon, my friends..." When they did clubs, they would do things like "I Am The Walrus" with 2 guitars, bass, drums, and a Wurlitzer electric piano. Scary stuff.
They still do "I Am The Walrus" Also John Palumbo's son's band opend for them they were pretty good they had an electric violin player he played the keyboard part from teenage wasteland.

Quote:
Don't know if it's out yet, but I heard a pre-release of a new Nektar (sp?) CD. Sounds very 80s- I guess they wanted to pick up right where they left off, or so I hear from the knowledgeable. Not my thing, but possibly of interest.
I would be interested in that.

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511423 03/31/04 06:25 AM
D
Dwarf Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
D
Quote:
Originally posted by mike-x:
A great band that didn't hit the big time were "It Bites". Awesome players and great songs. Just a case of the wrong band at the wrong time.

Cheers

Mike
I saw It Bites open for Jethro Tull in the 80's. Maybe they were having a bad night but they really didn't do anything for me.

One of the funniest lines I've heard at a concert came from that show, it went something like this: "We're called It Bites. Over here that translates as 'it sucks', and maybe we do, but we have a new album out." At the time I found myself agreeing with him \:\)

--
Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.
Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511424 03/31/04 10:20 AM
X
X-Facta Offline
X

Terry McBride from Nettwerk management perhaps?
The hitmaker from the friendly North.

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511425 03/31/04 05:27 PM
D
Dwarf Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
D
Quote:
Originally posted by Nika:
For the first 6 or 7 years I was listening to them I thought BareNaked Ladies would fall into this category. Fortunately someone discovered them that was more significant than I am.

Nika.
I saw them in '92 at a small club in Montreal opening up for the Crash Test Dummies. I don't know if Gordon had been released yet or not but either way I had never heard of them.

They were phucking awesome! I know a lot of bands talk about having fun onstage but BNL take having fun to a new extreme. I've never seen anybody else be that comfortably goofy in front of an audience. It felt like I was in their basement watching them show off for friends.

--
Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.
Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511426 03/31/04 05:49 PM
N
Nika Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
N
Quote:
Originally posted by Dwarf:
I saw them in '92 at a small club in Montreal opening up for the Crash Test Dummies. I don't know if Gordon had been released yet or not but either way I had never heard of them.

They were phucking awesome! I know a lot of bands talk about having fun onstage but BNL take having fun to a new extreme. I've never seen anybody else be that comfortably goofy in front of an audience. It felt like I was in their basement watching them show off for friends.
I saw them in 1992 also at Bumbershoot in Seattle. They opened for the Violent Femmes. We thought the name was a cute gimmick and wanted to see the Violent Femmes. They were absolutely stunning on stage and the Violent Femmes were absolutely awful. We left the VF after two songs to go find a CD of BNL in the merchandise kiosk and they were already sold out.

I have seen them several times since. After one show we were wondering if their onstage persona, gimmicks, and stunts were all scripted, so we went again three weeks later in a different city and it was an entirely different show.

I'm glad they didn't become a "who's that?" sort of band.

Nika.

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511427 04/01/04 11:35 PM
N
Nutshell Offline
N
ILLINOIS SPEED PRESS 1970's

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511428 04/02/04 12:58 AM
Gtoledo3 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Blues Image

Sea Train

Moby Grape

XTC....

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-
http://www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"
Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511429 04/02/04 06:53 AM
D
Dwarf Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
D
Quote:
Originally posted by Gtoledo3:
Blues Image

Sea Train

Moby Grape

XTC....
XTC didn't hit the big time? Sure they ain't U2 but they have a lot of fans.

--
Rob

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511430 04/02/04 12:10 PM
A
archibald3 Offline
A
Jellyfish,The Posies.... Arch

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511431 04/02/04 02:21 PM
nhcomp45@aol.com Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Wow Dennis, thanks for the news on Nektar. I have done many searches in the past on them and always came up blank. All I have is a reel to reel of Recycled I made from my buddies album, what a fantastic piece of work. That link was great showing current pics as well as studio pics from 1975. Thanks, Paul.

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511432 04/02/04 02:55 PM
Rog Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Bettie Serveert never got the recognition they deserve. I saw them supporting Dinosaur Jr in '91 or '92 and they were great. They're still releasing albums but they're kind of a best kept secret.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.
Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511433 04/02/04 04:47 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Nutshell:
ILLINOIS SPEED PRESS 1970's
I remember them.

Bill

Steve Martin

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511434 04/02/04 05:24 PM
M
M Kearns Offline
M
Pacific Gas & Electric for sure. Saw them at the first Atlanta Pop Festival & they were amazing. The records didn't come close to the live show.

Also Mother's Finest. Their 2nd record inspired me to pull back out the keyboards & start playing again after a 2 year escape from the music biz.

Marty

Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511435 04/02/04 06:15 PM
Gulliver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Dwarf:

I saw It Bites open for Jethro Tull in the 80's. Maybe they were having a bad night but they really didn't do anything for me.
Rob
Check out any of their 3 studio albums (though "Once Around The World" is undeniably their best). They are simply brilliant. Probably that was not a good night for them, indeed...

I am back.
Re: Great bands that didn't hit the big time #511436 04/02/04 06:35 PM
K
Kendrix Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
K
The Jayhawks
Ambrosia

On a related point:
Folks that used to be big and now barely get any attention/airplay: such as

Van Morrison