Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#509620 - 03/05/04 09:43 PM OPINIONS: Best studio mixer under $3,000
sadworld Offline

Loc: bay city,MI,UNITED STATES
just looking for opinions here so i can do some searching around. also why? what do you like about the board you suggest?

ps. griff... i know you suggest allen & heath but why? have you used it before? sound quality? capabilities? other? thanks.

#509621 - 03/05/04 09:51 PM Re: OPINIONS: Best studio mixer under $3,000
Tweak You Very Much Offline

i'm the best studio mixer for under $3000.00
;-)
sorry, couldn't resist.
dp

#509622 - 03/07/04 12:51 AM Re: OPINIONS: Best studio mixer under $3,000
where02190 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Weymouth, Ma. USA
Not sure if they make one under $3000, but probably close, check out the Midas Venice. Absolutely killer preamps.

NP Recording Studios
Analog approach to digital recording.

#509623 - 03/09/04 06:44 PM Re: OPINIONS: Best studio mixer under $3,000
Griffinator Global Moderator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
10k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by sadworld:
just looking for opinions here so i can do some searching around. also why? what do you like about the board you suggest?

ps. griff... i know you suggest allen & heath but why? have you used it before? sound quality? capabilities? other? thanks.
They have a pretty strong reputation, and the models I've used for live sound applications have been nothing short of stellar. Makes my old Mackie 24-VLZ's sound like a Peavey.
I would also watch [the Super Bowl halftime show] if applDeApp and Tabu were doused in hot oil, covered in feathers, and then set on fire while will.I.am was trepanned live.... and I would leave the sound on.

#509624 - 03/09/04 06:46 PM Re: OPINIONS: Best studio mixer under $3,000
BP3 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Get the Midas. It about $500 over what you want to spend but I'd rather have a $500 debt than a $3000 regret.

#509625 - 03/09/04 09:10 PM Re: OPINIONS: Best studio mixer under $3,000
skank Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Griffinator:
ar. Makes my old Mackie 24-VLZ's sound like a Peavey.[/QUOTE]

...now there's a blast from the past.!

#509626 - 03/10/04 03:25 PM Re: OPINIONS: Best studio mixer under $3,000
sonusman Offline

Loc: Portland,OR,UNITED STATES
You can probably pick up a used 24 channel Soundcraft Ghost, or a Soundtracs Topaz for around $3k. I would prefer the Ghost myself. Very nice sounding console with effective features for a project studio.

Either will offer better overall sound than anything Mackie/A&H. The feature set is more suitable for studio work than the Venice (the Venice is REALLY geared towards live use).

I don't think in that price range you can do better than a used Ghost. The trick is to FIND a used Ghost. \:\)

Ed

#509627 - 03/10/04 03:38 PM Re: OPINIONS: Best studio mixer under $3,000
malice Offline

Loc: France
What is the point of asking this question without precising the number of channels you need, if you seek it used or new, how many buss you need, if you need the pres or not really etc ...

It's a bit like asking something like

What is the cheapest airline company without mentioning the destination and from what town you'll be traveling...

malice

http://marsh.prosoundweb.com/

#509628 - 03/10/04 06:40 PM Re: OPINIONS: Best studio mixer under $3,000
Griffinator Global Moderator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
10k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by sonusman:
Either will offer better overall sound than anything Mackie/A&H.

Ed
Gee, is Allen&Heath now considered the same class as Mackie, even after the Mackie export?

Damn. What did A&H do to piss you off?
I would also watch [the Super Bowl halftime show] if applDeApp and Tabu were doused in hot oil, covered in feathers, and then set on fire while will.I.am was trepanned live.... and I would leave the sound on.

#509629 - 03/10/04 07:13 PM Re: OPINIONS: Best studio mixer under $3,000
where02190 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Weymouth, Ma. USA
Quote:
You can probably pick up a used 24 channel Soundcraft Ghost, or a Soundtracs Topaz for around $3k.
We purchased our Soundtracs SoloLogic (24x8x24) for $3000, killer VCA and mute automation, very nice brit style eq, 6 configurable auxes, and a superb audio quality. They made a 32 channel version as well.

NP Recording Studios
Analog approach to digital recording.

#509630 - 03/14/04 09:06 PM Re: OPINIONS: Best studio mixer under $3,000
Duhduh Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Costa Mesa, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Griffinator:
Quote:
Either will offer better overall sound than anything Mackie/A&H.

Ed
Gee, is Allen&Heath now considered the same class as Mackie, even after the Mackie export?

Damn. What did A&H do to piss you off?
I was wondering the same thing.

#509631 - 03/15/04 07:07 AM Re: OPINIONS: Best studio mixer under $3,000
rhythmmik Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I upgraded from a Mackie VLZ to the Venice 240 and the difference is night and day. Granted, the board is set up for live audio, but with a little creative routing and a patchbay connected to every hole, it works really well in my 16 bus project studio. I use the direct outs or group outputs (both of which are post fader and eq) routed through my patchbay to my converter inputs and made insert cables connected to the patchbay and the whole thing is pretty convienent. I really like the eq too, you can really hear even a subtle move of the knob.

The only problem I've had so far is that two of my mic pre's have gone down. They are covered by warranty but since you can't pull an individual channel, I've got to send the whole thing back to Midas to be repaired... I hate down time. I'll probably rent one while it's gone...

Mike Harrison