Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Make changes, or buy the up grade

EZ

:cool: I have an Ibanez BTB 405QM, I've been thinking about changing the pickups, to Bartolini and maybe change the active EQ. What IYO would be the better way to go, do the changes or buy the up graded bass the BTB1005?
If you smell something stinking, it's juz me, I'm funky like that

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think "stock" pickups stink. . .I generally replace 'em. That and "stock" bridges. . .

Do your homework (read, read, read -- on the internet or otherwise), ask questions here on the LowDown, whatever, and see what works. Sometimes you have to go out on a limb, too, and try something even if you're not 100% sure. . .If you like the bass itself -- if it plays to your liking -- then upgrade it. . .

Bottom line, a new set of pickups (and electronics, or a combination of the two) can make an average sounding bass come alive. I've had it happen. . .

Hope this helps. . .

"When it comes to havin' a good time, nothing beats 'fun'. . ."

-- Stefan Johnson

What's the price difference?

Do you have a particular preamp in mind? Which Bartolini pickups (they have many, many models)?

How many basses do you currently own? (Really what I'm asking is whether getting a new bass would give you two, because it's always nice to have an extra in case one's in the shop.)

Some more info might help us give you a little more guidance.

Also, if your bass isn't black, you could try a refinish before changing p'ups or electronics. Black basses are louder, and sometimes a little more volume from the bass will bring it to life. ;):D

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Bartolini p/ups and preamp is going to cost you some serious change, even though it's going to make the bass sound like a monster. If you're definitely going to hang onto this instrument for a number of years and put some mileage on it, I'd say go for it, but IIRC the upgraded model with Bartolinis has better woods and slightly better hardware. If that's the case, go with the upgrade and save yourself the extra effort.

:wave:

Originally posted by getz76:

Depends what stock is, rooster, no?

Indeed. An excellent point. For example, the "stock" bridge and "stock" pickup on my StingRay5 will never be changed.

The "stock" pickups on Spectors across several price points (i.e., models) are very nice EMGs -- even the passive EMG-HZs are nice. (Not my cup of tea, but nice nonetheless.)

The "stock" bridge on the Fender BenLoy bass (a.k.a., the Geddy Lee sig model) is a BadAss II.

The "stock" Fender bridge on JeremyC's 1970s era Fender has served him well for 30+ yrs.

The "stock" bridge on my now departed Ibanez Roadstar II P-bass from the 1980s did the job nicely (although on that bass I think a slightly hotter split humbucker would've been a nice change, replacing the "stock" one).

The quality of "stock" bridges and pickups does seem to be something quite challenging to generalize across models.

To EZ: What are you hoping for with these changes? What about the sound of your bass isn't pleasing you?

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Yes, it depends on what "stock" is. Definately. Good point, tho. . .

What I'm talking about, mainly, is some of the (IMO) under-wound, cheesy-sounding pickups that come on so many of your off-the-shelf basses nowdays. MIM Fenders come to mind. Great basses, but, again IMO, the pickups are "average". But, pur an upgrade set in and you have a great- sounding, great playing bass and still have money left in the bank.

But, that's just me. . .Like a lot of recipes say, "Season to taste". . .

But, if the ones that come with your bass are OK to your ear, roll with 'em. . .

"When it comes to havin' a good time, nothing beats 'fun'. . ."

-- Stefan Johnson

Archived