Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

D.I.Y. Speaker Cabs

sooki

Hi Y'all! First time caller, long time listener......

I'm after some advice from anyone who has attempted to build their own speaker cabinets.

I traded in my pissweak :bor: combo box for a kickass :love: Peavey 400W head, and I've managed to source some nice speakers for reasonable $$.

Have you ever flipped through one of those manuals for speaker enclosure design? My advice: if you don't have a degree in aeronautical engineering, DON'T BOTHER!

I just want something compact, lightweight, robust. I gots me da materials and I gots me da tools, but me needs da know-how.

Can anyone offer any advice, links, opinions? CHEERS!

-- - picks belong in sharps bins - --

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, first, you have to decide what you want the cab to sound like. Seriously. There's so much that you can tweak with something like this that you really need to decide what you want sound-wise first, then design the cab around that given the drivers you've chosen. (And if the drivers won't support what you want, then choose different drivers.) Anyway, I'd suggest downloading WinISD and testing a few designs around the speakers you've chosen. If the drivers are by a reputable mfg, then they surely publish all the T/S parameters that you'll need. Google for "WinISD" and you'll find it...it's a free speaker enclosure design program that's reputedly pretty good.

HTH,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Welcome to the LD!

Before the flames begin to spread, I'll point you to the search feature. There have been several discussions in the past. You'll find links to software that can help you tune a cabinet. I can't speak from experience, but it seems that while tools and materials are a good start, it's more important to understand the physics and have a keen ear.

- Matt W.

From someone who has successfully went the DIY cab building route... I agree with everything said to this point. I designed my current rigs using WinISD. Its a very basic, but decent and free program. Radio Shack sells a couple of very readable books on speaker design, and they will help you better understand how the WinISD program works.

One thing about WinISD if you use it.. The included driver database may not be completely accurate.. always best to research specs from the mfg's and edit as necessary.

There are more advanced design software programs out there... yes, they will cost some $$'s, but you get what you pay for. If you wanted to try to develop your own version of an Accugroove, you would need one of those all-inclusive programs that can handle crossover design, response modeling, and lord knows what else those audiophiles need to figure out...lol

A good site to visit would be the Parts Express site.. www.partsexpress.com. All sorts of speakers, tools, books and software are available there.. Also do a search on Old Colony Sound, and Speaker Builder magazine.

This all may look confusing at first, but if you take the time to study and research, your project has a much better chance of success. Good Luck!!

Thanks fellas!

This WinISD program sounds like exactly what I'm after, unfortunately I am blessed and cursed by being a Mac user.

PartsExpress seems to offer ready-made cabs but not much in the way of design specs

Oh well, I'll keep strumming the web to see what shakes loose! :D

Oh yeah, getting off the subject....

The head has optional bi-amplification. I've been told this will require an additional amp for either the Lo or Hi ( can't remember which ) frequency. Is this true? I don't have working speakers to test!

Archived