Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MXR M-80

The Bear Jew

OK, so I am totally into my new MXR M-80 DI+ .

This sucker rocks bawls.

It's pretty much a plug-n-play deal--transparent as hell when not engaged... but, I can't imagine not wanting it on all the time.

The controls are fairly intuitive... you know what it does. It's an active bass DI with a distortion option and a "blend" feature so you can mix the amount of distortion you want with the clean signal. There's a noise gate and blah-blah...

The real story here is that it sounds effing great.

I plugged in and turned it on... BAM. Suddenly my "pretty damn great" p-bass tone tuned into "this sounds like a CD" bass tone. Warm, full, detailed, crisp and just.. NICE. It's just louder and fuller overall..

I managed to blend up a really cool combination of clean and dirty tones, and I have to say, I am tempted to leave it on the distortion channel all the time... just set for a little grit in my sound. This damn thing made my bass sound really zingy and bouncy.

Playing with the band, the bass tone sat really nicely in the mix... totally cut through guitars with no problem without covering the bass drum... LOVE IT.

It's built like a frickin' tank--all metal. Simple controls... a really cool thing to have. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like plugged directly into the board for a recording.

Just thought I'd share.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by CMDN:

OK, so I am totally into my new MXR M-80 DI+ .

This sucker rocks bawls.

It's pretty much a plug-n-play deal--transparent as hell when not engaged... but, I can't imagine not wanting it on all the time.

The controls are fairly intuitive... you know what it does. It's an active bass DI with a distortion option and a "blend" feature so you can mix the amount of distortion you want with the clean signal. There's a noise gate and blah-blah...

The real story here is that it sounds effing great.

I plugged in and turned it on... BAM. Suddenly my "pretty damn great" p-bass tone tuned into "this sounds like a CD" bass tone. Warm, full, detailed, crisp and just.. NICE. It's just louder and fuller overall..

I managed to blend up a really cool combination of clean and dirty tones, and I have to say, I am tempted to leave it on the distortion channel all the time... just set for a little grit in my sound. This damn thing made my bass sound really zingy and bouncy.

Playing with the band, the bass tone sat really nicely in the mix... totally cut through guitars with no problem without covering the bass drum... LOVE IT.

It's built like a frickin' tank--all metal. Simple controls... a really cool thing to have. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like plugged directly into the board for a recording.

Just thought I'd share.

I've seen a quite a few people saying they prefer this over the BDDI.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I'm an MXR M80 owner as well. It sounds great for recording Eric...I've found that I have to roll off some lows when recording though, particular when recording the Stingray, but your mileage may vary. It is indeed very transparent when "off" and very quiet except with the distortion channel's gain set pretty high. I A/B'd the M80 and the Sansamp side by side...I liked the clean sound of the M80 better and the gritty sound of the Sansamp better. Since I figured I'd use the clean sound more often, I went with the M80.

Now if they'd just put an effects loop in that thing...oh yeah, and provide seperate EQ's for the clean and dirty channels. Maybe they'll introduce a multi-channel programmable one since Tech21NYC did!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I bought the SABDDI then I heard the M-80 as played by a friend of mine in another band. He was playing a bass I play, a Spector euro, same model and color even. It sounded great, though could have been better if he wasn't playing an SWR head through 2 shitty Crate cabs with one blown speaker.

He's since gotten an SVT-3 Pro, after he played through my rig at a gig(he favored the sound over SWR), but he's still got those crappy cabs.

Well hey if it was good enough for Geezer it's good enough for him.

So now the M-80 is another thing on my GAS list, along with a good American P bass. Who knows what X-mas will bring.

But yea, the M-80 is a great lil effin box, man. Enjoy, Eric.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Word. Always nice to hear about someone's happiness with a new piece of gear.

It looks like it's crazy loud. That's always a good thing.

On an unrelated note, I was able to incorporate a couple of relevant references to Lemmy into some e-mail exchanges at work this week. I was pretty damn proud of myself.

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

i may have to pick one of these up. i need some sort of distortion effect, and i found for my preferences that the boss ODB-3 was a little too much. plus, for the heavy distortion, i still have a proco rat.

first on my list is a keyboard controller, though. when i get a gig and start getting paid, a new EX-112 is in order.

robb.

Amen!

I also own and MXR 80 and have been blown away by it's tonal prowess. The 'colour' button is worth the money alone and the distortion is the perfect compliment for my ott sounding ODB-3 setting. For recordin it's a great little DI that helps phatten and fill out your bass track. I'm definitely gonna check out more MXR stuff if i can, there's not that many distributers for them in the uk.

Enjoy!

CrAiG

Once is an error, twice is jazz....

I have one of these.

LOVE the clean sound. The mid control and the "color" alone are worth the price of admission.

HATE the distortion sound. It has a bit of a "fuzz" to it and it sorta sounds like it's on top of my bass tone rather than an actual part of it.

I don't use it all the time but, I would never sell it. I like having it in the chain. That thing is bulletproof!

"I don't play Bass..I play SONGS."

Archived