Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice for new bassist

Incognito

I played guitar when I was younger but gave it up after high school. When I was playing guitar I always found myself playing bass lines and my instructor would solo on his guitar. Unfortunately my instructor was not on the same groove as I was and I got bored and that led me to stop playing. He never taught me a song or how to learn a song. Just straight textbook stuff.

Over time... I have found myself fingering (on my steering wheel) the bassline to a song on the radio. I dove back in recently and bought a bass and amp and have been experimenting with on-line lessons and tabs etc.... I read another post about just "knowing" the bassline to a song and this skill is imprinted in my head also and always has been. On a song I have never heard.... I can tell where the bass is going before I even hear the next lines/verses. I think it is all mathematical.....and I want to learn to apply/label the notes/scales/proper changes that I can "feel"

What do you think the best way to increase my skills. I am leaning towards a combination of on-line lessons, in person lessons, by ear and tabs to check.

Also what do you think of the Tascam CD BT1 Mk11. It is the effect that you play a cd and can plug your bass and headphones into it to play along. It can tone out the bass line on the cd so you can hear your own instrument. It looks like a good thing to have for $139.00.

Bt the way I run a fishing charter business and basically work 3 days a week (Usually fri/sat/sun) so I have all day without my wife (in peace) to practice the other 4 days.

Thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I've only been playing for two years, and I'm self-taught, so I can't tell you much from experience on bass, but I've played cello for 4 1/2 years, so I've got my music experience.

I was the same way, always picking out bass lines and the like, and bass always attracted me, so I just got one for Christmas and then I haven't looked back. You seem like you have a good foundation for it, you wouldn't have trouble understanding bass, because the instruments are similar.

I'm not sure about on-line lessons, that's your choice, but I would definitely get a private teacher. Then you can ask him all the questions that you aren't sure about.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of bass do you have?

I bought a Fender MIM Jazz. I still have the amp that my friends brother sold me 20 years ago. An Ampeg V4 with a Sunn 610 cab. It works fine but is way too big so I bought a Fender Bassman 100. I just stuck with what felt comfortable and had good value. I bought the Bass for $300 used very little, and the amp for $280 new floor model. I am mostly into playing blues and I also listen to and will learn to play, The Cult, Social Distortion, RHCP, Midnight Oil, as well as Alexander O'Neal and some other funky stuff.

Hey Incognito -

Private lessons and playing with as many people as possible is my thought.

I have the CD-BT1 Mk1 and use it constantly - my(apartment) neighbors love it just as much.

Maybe, when I get back to JB's Margaritaville (play there 3-4 times a year), we can meet up. Haven't been there since April - we're due.

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Incog, great to have another from Florida. Taking lessons is so much better than online. I would suggest lessons from a bass player. I learned from two very good violinists, and it took me a long time to come around to the true groove of things.

Good luck!

ATM

I am def going to take some lessons from an experienced bassist if I can find one. But since I have so much practice time I thought I would use some on-line info (since there is so much) to supplement. I think that getting many different angles will only help solidify things.

If you're not already in a band, a blues or funk band would be a good place to be. Esp if the drummer is right on. It's a good place to learn to groove, and that's really what we're all about, no matter the genre.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Not a big fan of online stuff. Bunny Brunel has some interesting thing on his site, and ActiveBass.com has some lessons, but if you are going to go the self taught route, go out to the music store and pick up a book or two on beginning bass. Most of these come with a CD that you can listen to while you practice. Also, there a few "Basic Rock/Pop/Funk/Jazz/Country/Basslines Only Blue Whales and Elephants Can Hear" books out there if you have an affinity for a particular genre of music. I have a few myself (never had a professional lesson in my life, probably why I suck so bad) but I will not recommend on based on the amount of flame that kind of post generates. I have the Tascam BT1, too and I love the thing.

Otherwise, just pick up the damned thing and play. Alot!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I use the Tacsam (Mk1) a lot. I've read complaints on other forums that the sound is not quite hi-fi/loud enough for them. It's fine for me and as a practice/playalong/transcription/song learning tool it has been invaluable for me.

I learned by myself through listening (though never copying or playing along in the early years - don't know why). Then putting myself in endless gig/rehearsal situations where I had to do something to make the song work. I managed to develop my own style but this was in an English scene much less dominated by covers than in Florida.

I've never got much out of online lessons to tell the truth; partly because my PC is in my main room and thus hard to play along without bugging my wife/son - guess you won't have this problem; partly because I prefer books.

I'd recommend getting hold of some decent books (depending on the style you want to play). Look no further than Mr Friedland for starters. Try to learn to read music (I can't properly) rather than use tab - it's for the illiterate.

Get lessons form the best teacher you can find (even if you have to pay more, a good teacher will you material you can work on for weeks/months.

Try to find like minded people to jam/play with. The danger with playing the bass alone is that you get into a habit of doing to much. Then when you play a gig you will overplay. I'm very tempted to play extra fills, chords and lines that outline additional harmony when I practice a line.

Don't expect the online tabs to accurate. If you play back your idea against the recording and then the online tab, you might find yours is more accurate (unless both are wrong ;) )

There's some good theory stuff online if you search around and you might want to check out the theory and instruction areas of www.talkbass.com

Oh the tascam is great for slowing things down too!

Thanks for the input.

Last night I found a local guy that gives lessons. He plays guitar (strat) and plays at the local bars here 4 days and 3 nights a week. Mostly classic cover tunes like Santana, Steve Miller, Stones, Allman Bros., Clapton, as well as blues He can fit me into his schedule for regular lessons and to play along with.

My plan of action is to use online to learn to read music and the in person lessons I will get down the timing and the grooves. I can use the Tascam to learn a song to play with the instructor.

Thanks

Originally posted by JBFLA:

Hey Incognito -

Private lessons and playing with as many people as possible is my thought... Jim

Jim is right. You probably won't need many lessons as you've got a heads-up with guitar. (like riding a bike, you never really forget how) You know enough by now to begin playing with a band, you've got the spare time and your wife will know how you spend your free time (so important in keeping a marriage together) so why not just go out and do it? As comparison: you can learn everything about driving from books, lessons with teachers, online, etc., but nothing, NOTHING, takes the place of real-world experience.

Also:

-you don't need to spend more than a hour or two a day practicing bass. You can also spend the time on music theory, harmony , listening to songs and figuring out the bass parts. I just find an excessive amount of rehearsal puts too much stress on you when you can get there in a little more time. If you really thrive on pressure, book yourself with a band that needs to play out in two weeks and learn the 40-50 songs in that time. I don't prefer it that way, but I've done it so I know it works.

-most guitarists crossing over to bass are fooled by how easy it is to play (EADG) and sometimes ignore the role of the instrument in linking the rhythm (drums) to the other players. From what I read you're aware of all that ("feel") but it helps to remind yourself as you proceed that most of your real work is to hold the rhythm section solid (like an anchor) so that the rest of the band can sail around that. It's a reminder that most of us are seldom "stars" or get our chance to do our mind-numbing super-solo every time we go on stage, but trust me, you'll be recognized and admired if all you do is hold the line with quarter notes sometimes. You're what helps make a band a BAND and gets the job done.

The rest has been said already by my brethern on this post.

Glad to see you here, Incognito! :wave:

Archived