Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acoustics Pickups/Strings

Funktopotamus

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not true. I'm not sure you refer to acoustic bass guitars or upright acoustic basses, but in both cases strings play an extremely important role in the resulting sound.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

I'm not really sure what needs explaining. Again, I don't know which acoustic bass we are addressing, but in both cases the strings in use make a large difference in the sound.

One could parallel the argument and say that it doesn't matter which strings you have on a bass guitar with magnetic pickups, because they only sense the motion of the metal mass. We know that's not the case.

Let's start with the contention "since the piezo pickup just feel the vibration"

If I choose to put a set of roundwound phosphor bronze strings on an acoustic bass guitar, how will it sound-- acoustically? If I put a set of vinyl-wrapped flatwounds on that bass, how will it sound? Those strings will vibrate and sustain very differently--

"since the piezo pickup just feel the vibration"

Ok, the vibrations these strings provide, as they interact with the instrument are different, aren't they??

And so the resulting amplified sound will be different.

Same with an upright bass; string types vary even more widely in the double bass world.

I draw on experience and experimentation with several different instruments, both double bass and upright, and own several bass guitars with piezo pickups. The differences between different strings can be dramatic, and even similar strings, like the Fender tapewounds vs. the Labella tapewounds, is quite interesting. I find the Fenders have more of an upright bass character.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Thanks Bob, I was talking about acoustic bass guitars. On that note can anyone tell me which strings are better (for me), the d'addario chromes or the fender tapewounds. I'm looking for nice low end like an upright but still good high end growl if you want to call it that. (and upright bass/electric bass fusion I guess)

I wanted a smoother, more upright-like sound for my AE bass, so I recently put a set of LaBella Deep-Talkin' Bass strings on. These are nylon-wound flats. I like the sound, but they were a bit of a hassle to install, because they are very heavy gage-- I had to open up the slots in the nut, as well as the slots in the bridge and in the bridge pegs.

I find that the style of strings does make a difference in the sound, but going from roundwounds to flats, the biggest difference was less fret noise.

Bruiser

Originally posted by Funkopotamus:

I also heard the fender tapewounds dont fit in the tuning post hole because theyre really thick. Is this true?

I only had problems with the E, but then the tapewounds were intended for the electric, which I believe has a longer scale than my acoustic. If I could have used the end of the string, it would have fit, but I had to cut it. Still holds like a champ, but watch your nut! :eek:

ATM

Archived