Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#488231 - 04/17/03 01:44 PM RCA Broadcast Console
GeoffD Offline

Loc: Falls Church,VA,UNITED STATES
Does anyone have any experience with old RCA broadcast modules- e.g. BA72A and BA73B? Any useful recording applications? Just got an RCA brosdcast consolotte from a local FM radio station.

#488232 - 04/17/03 04:46 PM Re: RCA Broadcast Console
Adam Whaley Offline

Loc: Austin
Funny this topic should come up, as I am currently testing some RCA BA-1A preamp modules at my studio. I'm not sure how similar the modules are to yours though. I have been testing them against an FMR RNP and a Mindprint Envoice, and they have stood up very well indeed. So much so, that I'm probably going to buy them and use them on male vocals and acoustic guitars (maybe even on drum overheads, though they have no gain control so this could be tricky).

#488233 - 04/18/03 01:53 AM Re: RCA Broadcast Console
Robocop Offline

Loc: chicago,IL,UNITED STATES
I bought a 1960's collins broadcast mixer that had 9 very big tube mic pre's. I had them racked with phantom power by a gentlemen who really knew his stuff. He worked with Bill Putnum and Bruce Swedien, and he had his own company called studio technologies. He manufactured their own version of the EMT plate after it's patent ran out. He put know gain contols or pads on these oh so quiet pre's. He told me to use the pads on the mics and the hardware gain control in protools. The output is so hot that I have to drop the input in protools down -24db even with a -10 to -20 db
pad on the mics. For dynamics i use the shure variable pads down -20 to -25 db.

Anyway's, I've heard good thing about the RCA's and I'm sure you could rack them and end up with a big smile like I did after I got the big collins console.

good luck

#488234 - 04/18/03 02:40 AM Re: RCA Broadcast Console
popstar Offline
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robocop:
I had them racked with phantom power by a gentlemen who really knew his stuff. He worked with Bill Putnum and Bruce Swedien, and he had his own company called studio technologies. He manufactured their own version of the EMT plate after it's patent ran out.
Jim Cunningham. A fine man. Taught me how to tune my EMT140's back in the day when I was working with Bruce.

pOPSTar

#488235 - 04/18/03 04:58 PM Re: RCA Broadcast Console
Robocop Offline

Loc: chicago,IL,UNITED STATES
"Jim Cunningham. A fine man."

Yes, Jim is a diamond in the ruff and extremely knowledgeable. All he needs is a schematic and he could bring any piece of gear back fron the dead.